Risen - GameStar Gameplay Video

Yes, and it seems to be dynamic. Gnomes tend to loot corpses. If it's not scripted, it's a great feature that makes the world feel more alive.

In G1 you were looted if you were knocked down, and in G3 wolves tended to eat dead scavengers...

Man, it's so just Gothic. Which is a good thing, since Gothic is awesome. They could've skipped the lockpicking minigame as far as I'm concerned, tho'...

Actually, from what I could see in the video, is that the lockpicking 'minigame' appears to be the same lockpicking implementation used in G1 but with a graphical display.

The game looks really good. I like the the looks of the NPCs and the environment. I like how there may be actual uses for transformation. Combat looked pretty decent especially compared with G3. The game really does seem to ooze Gothic 1/2-ness.

I wonder if you kill the little gnomes after they loot a dead corpse if you can then loot whatever they looted.

Actually, from what I could see in the video, is that the lockpicking 'minigame' appears to be the same lockpicking implementation used in G1 but with a graphical display.

Yes, that's what I was saying. They could've skipped it this time, it's a terrible minigame.

Quite many old Gothic fans like the mini-game, including me. :p

Why? I don't even like the base concept of mini-games, but even I know the whole point is to give the player a challenge that he can beat with manual or mental skills. Not only is Gothic's lockpicking minigame completely illogical, it doesn't actually challenge any of your faculties, instead being a silly trial-and-error game. How utterly friggin' pointless.

Hm, looks like it will be an enjoyable trip into familiar waters.
I´m especially glad spells are not used only for combat.

Besides the terrible combat screams and some animations, everything looks good.

I´m a bit concerned about the fact that so far all of the monsters are just rehashed versions of the Gothic ones, hopefully the story and quests will be more creative.

Anyway, after seeing this video, I´m definitely looking forward to Risen more.

"Not only is Gothic's lockpicking minigame completely illogical, it doesn't actually challenge any of your faculties, instead being a silly trial-and-error game. How utterly friggin' pointless."

It is memory based mini game, the combination is alweys the same so you are supposed to memorize it in case you will fail , and you will have to start again.

Yeah, the minigame is not that bad, at least as far as there´s a possibility to break a lockpick (probability based on dex) during the process.
Combinations should change upon each reload though.

I'm dissapointed that the Gnomes are apparently the equivalent of goblin fodder. Hopefully the sword slash won't be the only way to interact with them.

I'm dissapointed that the Gnomes are apparently the equivalent of goblin fodder. Hopefully the sword slash won't be the only way to interact with them.
Why don't you like non-verbal communication? :biggrin:

Yet you always have another way of interaction: Run away! ;)

But seriously: Let us wait and see...

If you can talk or otherwise interact with gnomes that'd be awesome. I already love their look.

It is memory based mini game.

Yes, that's what I meant by trial-and-error. Not that I don't love Rick Dangerous-based minigames, but what's the point, other than inviting lots of reloads?

Yes, that's what I meant by trial-and-error. Not that I don't love Rick Dangerous-based minigames, but what's the point, other than inviting lots of reloads?
If you don't want to cheat (and reloading until success in a luck-based situation *is* cheating IMHO) it means:

Either increase your lockpick skill or buy many lockpicks.

I like this more than: With this skill level you can automatically open all wooden chests, but no metal chest, with that skill you can open all metal chests and so on.

But in the end it is a matter of taste, of course. For me this lockpicking is part of the Gothic feeling.

My most favorite lockpicking was in Gothic 2 and the thief series and I will probably do horribly in this game since my short-term memory is almost non-existant.

I like this more than: With this skill level you can automatically open all wooden chests, but no metal chest, with that skill you can open all metal chests and so on.

Why? It's still a matter of luck whether the dice roll ends up the same or you happen to press the right directional key. It's not a difference as much as it is obfuscating the matter.

But even if you do prefer skill tests to luck (fair enough if you do), doesn't it make sense to actually give the player the opportunity to actively influence the outcome of the skill test rather than just have him trust on luck in a trial-and-error based experience? Fallout 3's lock-picking minigame, for instance, is pretty good.

I really love the look and feel of this entirely video. As internally conflicted as the whole puerile Dragon Age campaign has been, this one just completely works for me.

Nice. But the single best thing I noticed in this video is that the hero is holding his bow correctly again, unlike the dude in Gothic 3. Wheeeee!

I hope they leave as much as possible of G3 behind. I don't like unconcrete, irrelevant filler material. Getting 75+% in a town, 4 (5?) Orc lords instead of one, etc.
Cut out all mediocre material.

That's Gothic all right. Fits like an old glove. Graphics look like G2 with better shaders, bump mapping and dynamic lighting. Good enough in my opinion, The world looks nicely hand crafted. Bring it on!

Back
Top Bottom