RPG News - RPG Combat Systems @ ActionTrip

Dhruin

SasqWatch
ActionTrip has written a piece on RPG combat systems. Here's an early excerpt on whether turn-based modes are valid for "real" RPG fans:
The first imposing question is whether a real RPG can be fully turn-based? This Combat System allows easy programming for developers, and most of the combat related events are determined from characters' displacement on the field. Still, it lacks the excitement that the player experiences when the game is developing quickly, instead of gradually. Naturally, if strong tactical element were included, the combat would become more interesting and exciting, but then you get a strategy, and not a standard RPG. Hence, those stickers saying "Strategy with RPG elements" (remember Odium?). Such games can be appreciated by a certain profile of players, as opposed to real RPG fans that expect something more than a simple strategy. They expect the full freedom of choosing a way. Turn-based systems emphasize combat tactics, but reduce combat down to the number of points and the range of the weapon/spell, i.e. pure statistics. Fallout is the shining example of a good turn-based Combat System, which made the game exciting and challenging for the player. As opposed to PC games, the consoles place the emphasis on the turn-based system. It all boils down to lining characters up, and watching them beat each other silly. Throw in a flashy spell, and you got yourself a blockbuster. An indicative example is the successful Final Fantasy serial, which used turn-based system up until the last two sequels. With a fine balance between the basic story and a multitude of motley opponents, the games might just turn out good, even with this almost obsolete system. I like the turn-based system, but it can't be applied to just any game. Of course, there has to be a particular balance between the development of the story and combat (again, Fallout has to be mentioned as the brightest example).
Discuss!
More information.

I agree, despite saying he liked Fallout, he really annoyed me with some of the assumptions he made. Heck, PnP RPG's are ALL TB!! That is the foundation of our genre!! Since when is having 'tactical' combat the exclusive purview of strategy games?? The tactics of TB combat, as against the click fest of RT 'action' combat, is why I enjoy playing 'old skule' games so much!!

Ack! sorry Dhruin, looks like my posting power supercedes yours! not sure how that happened!

Anyway i think this whole RT > TB nonsense is pure myth. RT, even if it is more entertaining at first becomes boring and repetative fast. TB puts more importance on each move or action and is therefore miles more interesting to me.

That was fairly nonsensical ... such linear thinking is already causing tons of problems in the industry - especially for genres like ours!

Correct, Oct. 2000.

I agree, despite saying he liked Fallout, he really annoyed me with some of the assumptions he made. Heck, PnP RPG's are ALL TB!! That is the foundation of our genre!! Since when is having 'tactical' combat the exclusive purview of strategy games?? The tactics of TB combat, as against the click fest of RT 'action' combat, is why I enjoy playing 'old skule' games so much!!

I'm the same way. The gradual disappearance of RPG's that involve tactics in combat is a big loss for gaming. That's one reason why I have been looking forward to NWN 2 for so long.

Back
Top Bottom