The 26 Best RPGs @ GamePro

I'm going to go against the grain and say that I like this list.

They did some weird things, though. They grouped several different RPG flavours into one, which was sure to upset certain people. Well, the kind of people that actually care about lists, anyway.

The ordering, like someone else said, is also a bit off, probably, but that's subjective matter. I think you shouldn't read this list as a top list, but simply as a collection of the most innovative, popular and influential RPG's across all platforms.

It's a strange idea for a list, but it does that pretty well, I suppose.

Yup, totally my list... especially that "Final Fantasy VII was, is, and probably always will be the most important RPG of all time" made me laugh really hard.

LOL!!!

I just started to laugh like a mad woman at uni XD

This is soooo horrible list! Ridiculous!

#18: Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
#17: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

BS! BG2 is better than oblivion any time!

#16: Pokemon Diamond and Pearl

ROFL pokemon is better than BG2? XD I mean sure, the original blue, red and yellow were quite good but diamond and pearl? We can see what kinda of retards are visiting that site

ROFL WoW is 2nd LOL

Gamepro rules all from its Web site! We are all servants of its majesty, even as we feign ignorance. GamePro takes no notice! Go! And spread word of its mighty stature. GamePro rules all!!

One GamePro to bind them ? One GamePro to bring them all and in the darkness bind them ?

that might make a good poll

most important RPG of all time/so far

that is a good choice, although it was based off of Colossal Caverns Adventure.

I was thinking of the Intellivision D&D's and how back then there was no set definition of RPG's or types of RPG's - they were trying to capture the the Pen and Paper experience in a video game.

edit: Polls started
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5803

Last edited:
#18: Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
#17: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

BS! BG2 is better than oblivion any time!

I don't understand why anyone would take a list like this serious in the first place. The same goes for comparing review scores. "How can game X get a higher score than game Y!!?" You can't compare games like that, in the same way that you cannot say, "Drummer so-and-so is the best drummer in the world!" It just doesn't work that way; it's not quantifiable.

So let's just say that they simply had too many criteria mashed together for this list, and as such both Baldur's Gate II and Oblivion were able to score quite high. But, as you can expect, in certain areas Baldur's Gate II puts Oblivion in the dust and in others Oblivion kicks Baldur's Gate II's ass.

Right, now we'll see a bunch of posts from people disputing that last point. ;)

So let's just say that they simply had too many criteria mashed together for this list, and as such both Baldur's Gate II and Oblivion were able to score quite high. But, as you can expect, in certain areas Baldur's Gate II puts Oblivion in the dust and in others Oblivion kicks Baldur's Gate II's ass.

You are quite correct: in terms of bloom, Oblivion utterly kicks BG2's ass, and we all know there is nothing more important in a game than bloom.

I suspect the compiler of this list is just an unmitigated retard.

As expected, there we go again with the irrational name-calling. Such an emotional involvement over something so unimportant. :)

Incidentally, I quite like bloom, thank you very much.

Your assumption that typing a few snarky lines on an Internet forum constitutes "emotional involvement" is pretty interesting. Tell me, how do you think people who write pages-long articles about RPGs--and there're plenty of those--feel? Do you maybe think they dedicate their entire lives to the subject, spurning all other interests and activities?

Well, that's even more terrible then, isn't it? Throwing around insults at people you don't even know (I must assume), and even with a clear head unclouded by anger at that. If only you simply called the guy a retard out of mere spite. People these days...

You are quite correct: in terms of bloom, Oblivion utterly kicks BG2's ass, and we all know there is nothing more important in a game than bloom.

Not only Bloom, but also Flower. ;)

Well, that's even more terrible then, isn't it? Throwing around insults at people you don't even know (I must assume), and even with a clear head unclouded by anger at that. If only you simply called the guy a retard out of mere spite. People these days...

You must be new to the Internet.

Man, SomethingAwful forums and 4chan must drive you to great heights of sanctimonious hand-wringing.

You must be new to the Internet.

Man, SomethingAwful forums and 4chan must drive you to great heights of sanctimonious hand-wringing.

While I do enjoy my share of sanctimonious hand-wringing, my only desire is to help. Internet rage is the fastest growing cause of stress and heart disease in the world. Did you know that in the US one person dies of heart disease every 34 seconds?

I wasn't aware that this forum was on par with SomethingAwful and 4chan. Since I don't go there for some of the reasons implied above (as well as Codex) I should stop coming here for the same reason. After all, this is a forum on the internet and they are all alike with the same standards.

Though I must agree the people who came up with this list should have their IQ's tested. However, I seem to be getting the similar comments on my own list - some people so angry they won't vote but don't hesitate to share their opinion, and others redefining what they say my list is about.

We seem to attach a great deal of importance on these things.

Indeed. However, I agree that the reactions are a bit too "!!!!!11". It's just a list from some site. It's not like they claimed Planescape: Torment is the worst game ever made (such a claim would actually insult me, as an RPG gamer). This list, however, means nothing to me, even though I disagree with most of it.

The list might be based on what casual players think about RPGs. The people in here dont belong to that group. I doubt any mainstream player would even bother to register into any rpg site.

It's not like they claimed Planescape: Torment is the worst game ever made (such a claim would actually insult me, as an RPG gamer).

See? This is what I don't get. You see this stuff regularly on the imdb.com comments, for example. It's hilarious! "This is da worst MOVIE EVAR made!!11" cracks me up. Obviously, it isn't (but I guess even that can be argued). I really don't understand why such overstated "opinions" would insult you.

Similarly, someone on teh intarwebs favours Oblivion over Planescape: Torment. Woohooh! More power to them!

On the other hand, I seem to bringing all of this up far too much over at this place. Perchance I am emotionally affected by people on the internet that get upset over other people's opinions on the internet? The horror!

The list might be based on what casual players think about RPGs. The people in here dont belong to that group. I doubt any mainstream player would even bother to register into any rpg site.

I doubt any casual gamer would ever include Planescape: Torment in a list. Or bother with lists, anyway. :) Unless he read something about it on the internet and wanted to make it sound all hardcore like and stuffs.

I disagree with your assessment of who belongs here, though. I'm interested in both areas of gaming.

Back
Top Bottom