Avernum 5 - Review @ GameBanshee

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Brother None has penned a review of Avernum V for GameBanshee, generally finding the design tighter but the length a bit wearing for the content. The score is 7/10 and here's a snip:
The first thing you're bound to notice is the addition of "battle disciplines", a new combat element exclusive to fighter classes. These can be used to invoke short-lasting buffs, enhance single attacks, temporarily lower an opponent's defenses, and more. It's a solid idea, but unfortunately they feel a bit unpolished. There's no real sense of progression in battle disciplines, as you never have to learn them (they're added automatically as you add to your weapon skill) and you don't pick between skills but instead are presented with a fairly linear progression that lacks a significant tactical element. At the end of the game, you'll always be using “the best one” rather than having a variety of choices to make as magic users do.
More information.

Very well written review by Brother None. I haven't gotten around to playing A5 yet so I can't speak from experience... but it seems as if BN hits on the positives and negatives very well, and keeps it professional.

A5 is definitely on my list to play... as soon as I get done with several other RPGs that are waiting in line :)

Cheers.

I actually thought I was writing too much from the viewpoint of someone already familiar with the series, too much as a "what kind of Avernum is this" instead of "what kind of game is this", but if it's helpful, it's helpful.

A little too generous

A good review and all in all, I agree with it. You hit the right points with what is good and no so good about the game and the series. You score of a 6 out of 10 for the graphics is waaaay to generous in my opinion. I'd give it a 4 tops. There is just no excuse of graphics this bad. I'm OK with simple 2d graphics, but the distorted perspective (check out the walls, for instance) and the lack of animation and the lack of lighting or any 'mood' is just terrible in this game and series, imo.

Back
Top Bottom