Assassin's Creed: Odyssey - More Reviews

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Some more reviews for Assassin's Creed: Odyssey.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/assassins-cr…ssey-pc-review

Assassin’s Creed’s lurch towards the RPG properly started with Origins, but Odyssey crystallises the effort – much like how the limestone that dominated Ancient Egyptian architecture, over time, becomes the marble favoured by Ancient Greek architects. Unlike the cosmetic-only skin you donned in Origins, various aspects of your armour in Odyssey can be upgraded and changed, giving you the freedom to choose a helmet, chest armour, bracers, and greaves.

http://www.keengamer.com/article/203…odyssey-review

Complete freedom in a changing and reactive open world is how I would describe the gameplay segment of <em style="z-index: 2;">Odyssey[/i]. You'll still follow the main and side mission with a combination of on foot, horseback and ship exploration. Liberating outposts, bases and fighting a bunch of fodder enemies as well as strong semi and full-blown bosses. It's all stuff seen in previous franchise entries but the way it all blends here is amazing. There are also many important additions both big and small that make <em style="z-index: 2;">Odyssey[/i] another step in the right direction after<em style="z-index: 2;"> Origins[/i] already took one.

http://www.pcinvasion.com/assassins-…sey-pc-review/

Mechanics-wise, there are a few caveats. Conquest Mode doesn’t feel fully fleshed out and you’re just doing it for the loot. For instance, I heroically conquered Megaris by helping Sparta. An hour later while chasing down a cultist, Spartan soldiers in an encampment were suddenly hostile. That’s no way to treat a heroine! Then again, it can be explained in the background that these proto-Templars have wiggled their way further into the armies. It’s either that or your questionable loyalties as a misthios or mercenary/hired servant. Still, some minor tweaks to the feature would be welcome.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/game-r…dyssey-review/

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey features a rich, lush world lessened by its repetitive activities. Though the main story is compelling, completing it requires you to participate in a massive amount of level grinding through less-than-stellar side quests. There’s plenty to do in this world, but a lot of it feels like busy work that fights to stay exciting or compelling. Odyssey is yet another open world game that misinterprets the meaning of more content.

http://www.gamesradar.com/assassins-…dyssey-review/

In the end this journey is all about choice. The people you decide to let live, the romances you have, the sexuality lines you blur, the questlines you follow, the people you help and hinder and the RPG picks you make. It's an utterly beautifully crafted world and story, with cutscenes for literally days. After 70 hours I've only just finished the main storyline and I still have plenty to see in Odyssey's Greece, and it's a joy to keep on exploring. No-one's made an open-world RPG with this much depth and brilliance since The Witcher 3. This really is the ultimate Creed.
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

In the end this journey is all about choice. The people you decide to let live, the romances you have, the sexuality lines you blur, the questlines you follow, the people you help and hinder and the RPG picks you make.
What choice when it comes to romances? I've picked them all! Who doesn't? :D

A huge spoiler. This game, finally, contains orgies! Yea, the hero can go for it. You don't see it in action, it's Ubi and not CDpr, but hey, after all these years of my complaints… :evilgrin:

Last edited:
What choice when it comes to romances? I've picked them all! Who doesn't? :D

A huge spoiler. This game, finally, contains orgies! Yea, the hero can go for it. You don't see it in action, it's Ubi and not CDpr, but hey, after all these years of my complaints… :evilgrin:

How do you think the orgy gameplay ought to be handled, Joxer? Maybe something like the cocktail mixing in Fist of the North Star?

Orgy gameplay.
I like the sound of that!

Seems best SP Ubisoft game in years. I've gone into silent mode, avoid all info till I start to play it.

Didn’t read the reviews but don’t need to. I already know I like the game.

Only played 5 hours so far. Mild C&C so far. Fun combat but far too easy. Playing on hard may up it to nightmare but I’m afraid it will just be a big stat and HP boost. I want harder combat not longer combat. I’ll probably give it a shot though.

Presentation and voice acting are top notch, exploration mode is a plus and character progression and crafting seems solid at this early stage.

Didn’t read the reviews but don’t need to. I already know I like the game.

Only played 5 hours so far. Mild C&C so far. Fun combat but far too easy. Playing on hard may up it to nightmare but I’m afraid it will just be a big stat and HP boost. I want harder combat not longer combat. I’ll probably give it a shot though.

Presentation and voice acting are top notch, exploration mode is a plus and character progression and crafting seems solid at this early stage.

Did you play AC: Origins? How would you compare them?

I am not sakichop but I will have go as I have played AC: Origins but only about 15 hours into Odyssey :)

Combat

The actual mechanics are very similar. You have to dodge, roll etc. You still need to execute "combos". There is no shield this time so it pretty much forces you to be very aggressive so I find the combat to be faster than Origins . You can still parry attacks but I am not using it a lot yet as I don't feel the need as yet. Boss fights are still all about timing etc.

They added more abilities/spells this time around like bull rush, shield break etc and they are very useful and you will need to use them so its not simply mouse click to attack anymore.

I am playing it at normal difficulty and its sort of easy if you are one on one with even level mobs but things goes very badly if I make mistakes with packs (easy for them to stun, KB you) so I won't be upping difficulty any time soon! I find mobs more then 2 levels above are very difficultly compared to Origins.

Quests

Only 15 hours in but I find quest to be better than Origins so far. Many of them are giving the illusion of C&C in the way choices are offered compared to Origins. Not sure how this will play out in the long run.

And quest are detailed as to where to go compared to Origins ! Proper directions are given and with the use of the eagle, its I don't need way points or mini maps so thats huge plus!

They still have clear the bandit camp, or that cave type of check list things but with exploration mode on, I don't see them much so my completionist OCD doesn't kick in but they are there for people who like that sort of stuff!

How do you think the orgy gameplay ought to be handled, Joxer? Maybe something like the cocktail mixing in Fist of the North Star?

Sorry, can't watch the video now (lousy connection, not at home currently) but I've heard and read about that game and I'm not buying it. Apparently it's inferior Yakuza clone.

Anyway, gameplay? What gameplay? I don't care about gameplay. I care about 60FPS, sata3 and modern visual technologies. Based on still from that video, it suggests 30FPS slideshow, minutes wasted on game loading and outdated visuals.
Playing on hard may up it to nightmare but I’m afraid it will just be a big stat and HP boost. I want harder combat not longer combat. I’ll probably give it a shot though.
You'll only make it longer. I have to suggest lowering the difficulty if you try to kill boar from hell at level 15ish. It's not hard, it's just a stupid Dark Souls boss with tons of health which means "dodger". The same goes for the deer from hell you'll find later and most probably other such animals that are a certain sidequest material. Some reviews say "grindy". The crap design of dodging sure is grindy - Origins was far better in that department, the only place you had to dodge bosses like crazy was arena which wasn't even a sidequest but an optional activity.
I did.
Odyssey performs a bit better although it's still Ubi's unoptimized garbage of a code.
Bayek from Origins is coo! and I wish they made a trilogy about his adventures, but he has no say in anything, the game wasn't about choices. Picked the male protagonist in Odyssey and I turned him into a "sex monster" who wants to get anyone or anything in bed, you don't have to as everything has a choice.
Sidequests were already good in Origins but are vastly improved in Odyssey - ignoring sidequests in Odyssey is like eating banana peel and throwing away what's inside. All sidequests have choices, and just as in TW3, it's hard to predict what effect will your choice have later (some affect the world).
ME2/DAI sonar is present in both games. And IMO should be removed, you already have an eagle to scan for mission objectives, hostiles and chests.
You can grind any area for XP, equipment and mats in both games, I can't suggest doing that as it's a waste of time and reviewers seem were doing that. Just by solving quests you'll get enough of everything.
Puzzles are much more fun in Odyssey. Some are easy and some are hard, but you won't spend hours of trying to solve one nor they give you just a crappy random item.
Etc etc, everything is improved in Odyssey.
Gameplay? Gimme a break, who cares about that. :p
They still have clear the bandit camp, or that cave type of check list things but with exploration mode on, I don't see them much so my completionist OCD doesn't kick in but they are there for people who like that sort of stuff!
This is true but it's also improved.
In Origins if you clear a point of interest, some quest later would ask you to go back rince repeat because now there is something new spawned in the camp. Haven't seen this in Odyssey. Now you find a quest item at any time and don't have to return to any previously cleared place. Well, unless a high target arrived there later (cult member). I still have to suggest not clearing camps/caves/houses/forts before you exhaust all main and sidequests in an area as it'll feel as you're grinding for no reason.
Note that clearing faction points of interest can enable you to join a skirmish fight (on ground or at sea) between factions, while this might sound who cares, a certain cult member will appear only in such fight and you want to nail them all.
I'm trying to say while everything looks optional and most of it really is, it's still deeply wowen in the main story. It's only up to you if you want to read first 5 pages and last 5 pages of a book or the whole of it. From what I've seen in reviews, reviewers rushed the main story and skipped doing most of sidequests. Pathetic. Imagine if rotten tomatoes critics based their movie judgment on just a few minutes long trailer.

Sorry for doublepost but… Something additional to the topic plus I don't want to be walloftext dartagnan!

PC Gamer:
https://www.pcgamer.com/this-weeks-highs-and-lows-in-pc-gaming-oct-5-2018/
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is gorgeous and full of good stuff, I just wish that I could explore it at my pace rather than the pace set by the game’s aggressive level zoning. I don’t want to have to do a ton of sidequests to get me to the next good story bit, so I ended up paying ten bucks for a permanent 50 percent experience booster. This fixes the game for me, but I do regret having paid so much to change a basic number value. The booster doesn’t unlock anything the devs have made, it’s just adjusting a slider to make the game more palatable. In a £50 game, that really sucks.
Just read that. "Next good story bit". Sidequests suck? He didn't even bother trying those. That person up there has a microtransactions addiction problem and is trying to excuse it with something we who (actually) play the game know is a false presumption.
What's even worse, I bet he could just use whatever cheat util to pump up the level if the game was so "hard" to progress (and it really isn't).
Now you know wat kind of professionals write reviews. Shall we see a review written by Paris Hilton next? The title will be "I bought Ubisoft".

Hard to say with just 5 hours played in odyssey. My initial impressions would be that it’s more of the same but everything’s just done a little bit better.

I’ll post more as I play. I can say if you liked origins you should like odyssey.

You'll only make it longer. I have to suggest lowering the difficulty if you try to kill boar from hell at level 15ish. It's not hard, it's just a stupid Dark Souls boss with tons of health which means "dodger". The same goes for the deer from hell you'll find later and most probably other such animals that are a certain sidequest material. Some reviews say "grindy". The crap design of dodging sure is grindy - Origins was far better in that department, the only place you had to dodge bosses like crazy was arena which wasn't even a sidequest but an optional activity.

Did you forget I’m dark souls #1 fan. I love dodging around. I think you’re a bit confused though. Dark souls is about quick battles. Even bosses go down or down you pretty quickly.

As for dodging in odyssey, There’s no more dodging than in other games of its type. I actually find myself parrying more than dodging because it’s so easy and staggers enemies. I had to stop using controllable arrows skill as it’s way OP and the Sparta kick will take out enemies that are much higher level than you. Just lure them to a cliff easily dodge behind them and Sparta kick them to thier death.

Hard to say with just 5 hours played in odyssey. My initial impressions would be that it’s more of the same but everything’s just done a little bit better.

I’ll post more as I play. I can say if you liked origins you should like odyssey.

Never actually played Origins. I was close to getting it, but I could see that it still had a lot in common with the older AC games, and I doubt I would have liked it much in the end.

The reviews seem to indicate that Odyssey is a bigger step towards being an RPG especially when playing in exploration mode.

Did you forget I’m dark souls #1 fan. I love dodging around. I think you’re a bit confused though. Dark souls is about quick battles. Even bosses go down or down you pretty quickly.

As for dodging in odyssey, There’s no more dodging than in other games of its type. I actually find myself parrying more than dodging because it’s so easy and staggers enemies. I had to stop using controllable arrows skill as it’s way OP and the Sparta kick will take out enemies that are much higher level than you. Just lure them to a cliff easily dodge behind them and Sparta kick them to thier death.
I'm not talking about offing ordinary trashmobs who have no shield. :) You can't parry nor stagger the pig from hell. You can try to kick it, definetly. Can't wait till you get to it. Assuming you're not skipping sidequests.

The arrows skill you call OP is the pic proof review(er)s didn't really think about the game much. When your quest is to kill something in the middle of dozens of trashmobs around, just use that. They've most probably crawl their way through heaps of trashmobs with a sword or something. No wonder they called it grindy. ;)

Anyway, Sparta Kick is awsome earlygame, no question about it, but I'm not using it any more. Play some more, you'll see why. ;)

Anyone who likes spears, get this game! Spears actually works like spears in this game. Its proper poking weapon and you don't swing it side to side like sword or smash it on somebody head like hammer.

Its seems bit OP in early game as it seems to have long reach and interrupt mob attack chains other than power attacks.

Back
Top Bottom