Baldur's Gate 3 - Early Access Review @ Collider

I find I love the die rolls myself. I thought it would break me out of immersion but I suppose I treat it like I do seeing a mouse cursor on the screen or a UI or that I am sitting in a chair looking at a monitor. All noise my brain filters out while I get into the game.

The die rolls not only harken back to the days of being a DM and rolling but it helps show some of the randomness, which I like, behind things.

My hearbeat gets a little faster (how much depends on how important the roll is) and I eagerly await, sometimes dread, the result. It's one of my favorite features.
I just can't understand who thought this was a good idea to implement.

So yeah I very much dislike it. We’re not playing a TT game. Hiding dice rolls was one of the better choices BG made. Other CRPGs don’t need to show dice rolls either.

All the dice rolls do is ruin the flow of dialogs for a game-play experience I don't find interesting. I foresee me using a trainer to cheat the dice, or a mod to remove them.

All the dice rolls do is ruin the flow of dialogs for a game-play experience I don't find interesting. I foresee me using a trainer to cheat the dice, or a mod to remove them.

In principle, I'd agree. Yet, the dice rolls in the game had a certain element of excitement which added some kind of "battle element" to the discussions. I thought it worked very well (except that they'd never tell me my odds, only bonuses, and the odds were extremely bugged). Perhaps you react a tad too strong to this because you have not tried the system yourself?

If I had to choose to kick the system out or keep the dice rolls, I would leave them. Only that the player has to be informed about the odds. Sometimes you need to roll only 1 even though you have +4 to the check. Other times 15. Those appear bugs. They had a similar problem with attack hitting odds. They were way off.

I Perhaps you react a tad too strong to this because you have not tried the system yourself?
Watched videos and played a few hours of BG III and still hate it. To clarify it doesn't completely ruin the game for me, but I find that mechanic to be a nuisance.

That's why I support the option of allowing players to turn off the dice.

If I had to choose to kick the system out or keep the dice rolls, I would leave them. Only that the player has to be informed about the odds. Sometimes you need to roll only 1 even though you have +4 to the check. Other times 15. Those appear bugs. They had a similar problem with attack hitting odds. They were way off.

Those aren't odds. That number is the DC (difficulty check). That's how D&D works. If something is easy the DC is low. That's completely independent of how good YOU are at doing that thing.

"It’s another example of D&D’s underpinning limiting Larian from truly stretching their creativity. It’s certainly not the worst I’ve played in a CRPG, but combat feels somewhat dated in a genre that has since evolved."

So D&D's underpinning limits Larian from stretching their creativity in creating a D&D game using the D&D ruleset?!? :p

This kid is obviously more of a Larian fan than a D&D fan. :p

Yep, I'd rather have D&D than Larian's creativity when it comes to crpg rulesets.

I'm not against innovation but imho so far Larian has failed to prove that they can deliver something better.

Yep, I'd rather have D&D than Larian's creativity when it comes to crpg rulesets.

I'm not against innovation but imho so far Larian has failed to prove that they can deliver something better.

I just started playing the EA last night, and yeah, it definitely feels more Larian than D&D.

To be fair, I'm still very early in the game, and it does seem pretty good overall. I would have liked something a little more hardcore though.

Back
Top Bottom