Pillars of Eternity II - Gameplay @ IGN

Hoping the new class system means building will be more fun than 'twas in the first game. Theory-crafting off a bad ruleset can be so banal.

The visuals look great. The Wizard spell casting was fun to watch, and I liked the deep sand terrain effect. Plus pickpocket skill! The lack of a health bar feels a little odd though.

The exploration does indeed look promising. I was always a fan of its style in the Fallouts, Storm of Zehir, etc.

I just hope the game won't be a bug-ridden mess, which admittedly is a lot to ask for when it comes to Obsidian.

Ok, lot more interested now. Wish they ditched engagement system though. Small thing, but running animations for different races could also look different.

I really think they learned a lot off the first game and fixed what they could with the patches and the releases of the white march one and two.

Really looking forward to this....

Visuals are improved and are really cool indeed. But why so much attention to it? Visuals were never the low point of PoE. The low point of PoE was the combat system - it also had a "meh" story and companions IMO. They recognize in the video that PoE's combat was messy and also said that it is slower now in PoE II, but it doesn't seem so...

Visuals are improved and are really cool indeed.

But why so much attention to it?

Using eye candy and nostalgia to divert buyers' attention from the core gameplay and poorly designed systems.

Window lightning, capes which react to wind, physiqued flails and explosions, all that stuff which greatly pleases the likes of rshae and joker, never truly mattered in a proper RPG.

They really operate off a populist game design philosophy.

Last edited:
The low point of PoE was the combat system - it also had a "meh" story and companions IMO. They recognize in the video that PoE's combat was messy and also said that it is slower now in PoE II, but it doesn't seem so…

I get that the class system has likely improved, however I still suspect combat has not. The ruleset being used is simply too mishmash for any meaningful progress. And another thing, introducing giant adversaries like the golem doesn't really address nonexistent encounter design, but is taking advantage of some emerging trends, such as battling towering foes, reminiscent of raiding in MMOs or even Dark Souls.

Last edited:
This is looking really good, glad with the changes i've seen so far.

One of my main problems in the first one was the combat. It was just too fast/hectic and sometimes i could not keep track of what was happening. In this gameplay it seems a lot better paced and clear to follow. Great.

At last, finally. One video demonstrating RTwP combat.
At one point in the interview, it is stated they looked into slowing down, words that can be believed considering how slow everything ihas turned to.
So slow it can be played Mouse Only (as it was announced)

Now it is played RTwP, it can be noted how large the degeneration has been. There is nothing left to justify the use of RTwP. It plays the same pace as UgoIgo and replicate nothing else than UgoIgo structure.
Big degeneration following the absence of an audience for RTwP products and the urge to satisfy the desire of players who do not have the basic skillsets to play RTwP.

A product that fits the trend playing video games is a cultural burden. An AI will be able to substitute to players.
Another product whose goal is to expell gamers from their seat, in the equation, they are the unrequired factor.

Maybe with the exception of loosing endurance, which I'm ambivalent about, all the changes seem to be improvements over the first game and, at least from what's getting out, development seems to be going unusually smoothly, therefore I'll be really surprised if this doesn't become a new Obsidian classic, following Mask of the Betrayer and Fallout: New Vegas.
I already consider (the final iteration of) the first game to be overall about on par with Baldur's Gate, so this could be well on its way to at least match Baldur's Gate 2 (as far as I'm concerned PoE2 is already having a headstart since it seems to improve exploration aspect, which is one thing where BG2 fell short compared to its predecessor).
Hopefully combat and itemization are getting extra attention :).

Hmmm... Eder, Pallegina and Aloth from the first game plus some new guys and gals. Five party members total.

Decisions, decisions... :biggrin:

If I import my PoE guy (mage) and take the above three then I only have one spot left but still no dedicated priest (healer) and no rogue.
With the new multiclassing, I guess I could develop someone into a hybrid of sorts but I would also really like a druid in my party (Hiravias was great in part 1).

Well, I'm going to wait&see how they implement the character import. I might actually skip it if there is no real nice bonus attached to it and go with:

- Main druid (my guy)
- Eder (tank/DPS)
- Pallegina (tank/DPS/buff+heal support)
- Aloth (mage)
- One of the new guys as a priest/healer

If the skill system is similar to the first game then one of the above is going to receive the honor of being a part-time rogue for trap detection and lock-picking ;) .

I'm really looking forward to it but as with every Obsidian game it will be a long time before I actually buy and play the game (fully patched and bundled up with all future expansions).

I don't use fig so didn't back this.
Will however buy the game when it's done.

But I'm not interested in Josh's PR. I'm interested in fixing the pathfinding stuck/stutter problem Eternity had as the same annoyance plagues Tyranny.

Visuals are improved and are really cool indeed. But why so much attention to it? Visuals were never the low point of PoE. The low point of PoE was the combat system - it also had a "meh" story and companions IMO. They recognize in the video that PoE's combat was messy and also said that it is slower now in PoE II, but it doesn't seem so…

Because visuals are easy to demonstrate. They can't show the story, for example, because of spoilers.

What I'd like to see more about is the new skill system.

Because it's handy to use eye candy and nostalgia to divert buyers' attention from the core gameplay and poorly designed systems.
(...)

It kinda of feel that way. Sawyer acknowledged in the video that the combat was fast-paced in PoE and states that in PoE II they slowed the combat pace. But when you watch the combat is almost identical to PoE. And I feel like he's trying to take us for fools :lol:
It's like "belive in what I'm saying to you and not in your eyes".

Don't get me wrong, I'll probably buy PoE II, because I kind of liked PoE. But they didn't sound completely honest to me or that they are really trying to make right the major flaws we saw in PoE.

It kinda of feel that way. Sawyer acknowledged in the video that the combat was fast-paced in PoE and states that in PoE II they slowed the combat pace. But when you watch the combat is almost identical to PoE. And I feel like he's trying to take us for fools :lol:
It's like "belive in what I'm saying to you and not in your eyes".

They set the slow speed of POE as POE II default speed, but you can still speed or slowdown the combat like in the first game.

Back
Top Bottom