A resolution after my dad's funeral

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor
So i went to my dad's funeral today and i realize that he was more than twice the man I can ever really be. One of the things I noticed looking back is that he never got into vain arguments or argued too long. And thinking about this he is right to do so, why get into arguments that benefits no one even if you win it?

So from here on out I wont participate in the politics and religion forum, and I wont argue for more than a couple of posts per argument. I am sorry for the aggravation I have caused simply by stating my views unnecessarily and my constant stirring of the pot for the same reason.

Maybe with the free time this gives me I can do more with my life. :p

Please accept my condolences for the passing away of your father.

I would also like to thank you for sharing this good and useful reminder.

Take care.

My condolences too.

But IMO for any big decisions you should wait till emotions cool down a bit. If not possible, delegate it to someone you trust the most.

My condolences.

But i think you are wrong when it comes to arguments or debating. For politics its a must to understand if your own arguments holds up to what you actually believe, if not then it's time for reflection. But these things might seem very petty and unimportant in times of grief, that is very natural.

My condolences also.

I do my arguing in politics at the voting booth. Life is too short to argue with family and friends. I will let my feelings known on an issue then move on.

My condolences as well.

In my experience disagreement begets progress. If everybody agreed with each other our world would be stale. To quote Voltaire "I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It", so, I guess it's alright to disagree, even (or especially!) if you think that the other person's idea / opinion / belief is totally b**it.

My condolences.

On all other acounts I'm totally with @Hastar.

My condolences.

But i think you are wrong when it comes to arguments or debating. For politics its a must to understand if your own arguments holds up to what you actually believe, if not then it's time for reflection. But these things might seem very petty and unimportant in times of grief, that is very natural.

I can see where you are coming from, but I dont think anyone can truly see the forest for the trees in an argument. People are always going to see what they want to see, especially when it comes to their own views. Throughout my time on the P&R forum, the main thing in politics that has changed in me is how i see Muslims, for example I dont see the majority of them as a threat even if there is a greater incidence of threat. But mos tother discussions have been fruitless.

I'm sorry for your loss, Damian.

My condolences Damian.

I can see where you are coming from, but I dont think anyone can truly see the forest for the trees in an argument. People are always going to see what they want to see, especially when it comes to their own views. Throughout my time on the P&R forum, the main thing in politics that has changed in me is how i see Muslims, for example I dont see the majority of them as a threat even if there is a greater incidence of threat. But mos tother discussions have been fruitless.

If you changed view by discussing something then it's for the better, no?

Discussing (mostly with my close friend who is a history teacher, but also on various forums) is what has taken me to my current political stance, which was very different 12-13 years ago.. It made me realize the importance of not keeping things to myself and instead putting things to the test to see if i can actually argue for my own views and "get away with it".

I do think there's plenty of people who will fail to see their own faults in their arguments though, but i think something deep down also makes them aware that they didn't fare that well in a certain discussion, and over time people can get over themselves and change. I did that, so i know others will too.

Sorry for you loss Damian. All the best for the future.

I'm very sorry to hear about your father, Damian.

I don't like what you're saying about not being able to measure up to him, though. We're all different and we should never try to compare ourselves to our parents in terms of value. Each life is unique and as long as it's going on - things can happen.

As for your resolution, I think you might be on the right track. I never quite understood your objective in that way, so maybe a change could be for the better.

I know from personal experience that such things can eat away at your time and - to an extent - your well-being. In the grand scheme of things, it's a pretty severe waste of time and energy if you're not feeling good about it - or gaining something in return.

All the best to you and your family.

Back
Top Bottom