Legends of Eisenwald - 90% Off Until October 12th

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
There is currently a steep discount of 90% off for Legends of Eisenwald until October 12th on Steam.

Legends of Eisenwald is an adventure game with tactical battles, RPG and strategy elements. Take the lead of a small feudal army and try to defend your right to survive in this ruthless medieval world.

The mysterious lands of old Germany are waiting for you - it's a land where the superstitions of the time have come to life. This isn't a fantasy game. There are no elves or dragons here. There are only people - and their passions, sins and fears that often take a tangible form. Which path will you choose? Live according to your conscience? Or live by power and might? Or will you live by justice? And what is your justice, really?

Game features

• A unique and dynamic combat system - each move is also an attack
  • The ability to individually equip *each* fighter in your army
  • A large selection of weapons, spells and abilities, including the option to use mounted units
  • Diverse upgrade trees, and each unit level up provides cosmetic changes
  • An intriguing non-linear story
  • A distinctive game world without common fantasy cliches
  • Over 50 hours of gameplay within the game. A main campaign consisting of eight chapters plus two additional scenarios.
  • A beautiful symphonic soundtrack in a medieval style
  • An accompanying Scenario Editor with the full set of developer tools
More information.

This is an excellent game, should the genre be to your liking. Gritty and tough, you'll easily get lots of entertainment out of this even at full value, let alone the theft price it's current at!!

The game is a little rough around the edges (particularly in the rather clunky interface for moving around the world map). Nevertheless, I enjoyed this one so I'd recommend checking it out if you've somehow missed it.

I really wanted to like this game, but since it makes you start over from scratch on each map I soon abandoned it. Sense of gradual progression is very important for me in games.

I loved the first map but having to start over on the second map and being chased around was not fun. If I'm playing a campaign, I want past choices to matter. Could have really enjoyed this game otherwise.

Oh man, those chases around the map are totally epic! Nail biting all the way, not knowing if you'll survive one moment to the next, it's making me want to fire up this glorious gem once again!

Another more negative viewpoint from me on this one I'm afraid.

The first map's quite intriguing and I was really enjoying it, but even here a quest or two was distorted from having wonky translation.

But each successive map wore me down, as others have said. I think I quit on the third or fourth map.

At 90% off I guess you'd still get your money's worth, of course.

Almost grabbed it when I saw the price, but I'm glad I didn't after reading some of the comments here. Doesn't seem like a bad game, but having to start fresh with each map doesn't appeal to me.

That, and the fact that there's no fantasy elements.

Almost grabbed it when I saw the price, but I'm glad I didn't after reading some of the comments here. Doesn't seem like a bad game, but having to start fresh with each map doesn't appeal to me.

That, and the fact that there's no fantasy elements.

I'd call it low-fantasy if that helps.
Essentially European superstition is translated as some magic, but it's not major hailstorms being summoned or anything like that.

I really liked the game, though its true not all the missions are equal. Story choices do matter, though you don't often see the consequences of certain choices till later in the game. Its true your units don't progress from map to map, though if I remember correctly this was also true for the first two Disciples games, and like those games the potential for units to advance to higher levels quickly does increase as the game progresses, and I believe your hero's personal advancement carries over.
I am planning on replaying at a certain point. I think 90% is a steal.

To be clear, your main character does "level up" and IIRC you keep his / her personal equipment. But you typically have to leave behind most of your troops when you move to a new chapter. So you'll have to recruit new peasants / lower level mercenaries and level them up again. Your maximum party size is determined by how many forts you have control of on a map. So the game's a bit grindy in that sense, but combat moves pretty quickly so it's fairly easy to build back up your forces (there's even an auto-resolve button for combat).

Personally my main criticism was the "legends" that flesh out the lore, while often fairly interesting, are lengthy walls of text.

Yeah it's been a while since I played this but I really enjoyed it at the time. It was definitely one of those games where the whole was more than the sum of it's parts. The closest comparison I can think of would be a non-whimsical Kings Bounty?

I would highly recommend it. I especially like how they eliminated almost all aspectes of randomness. The combat is super tactical, and the balancing on highest difficulty is super tight, or at least at big parts of the start of each mission. And thats why I especially loved the mission where you are chased around. Superb balancing. Lots of fun with optimizing battles.
I think I was also surprised by the miniquests and decisions you got to do, similar to the Expeditions series.

You also dont restart at any map. You will always take over your main character, including experience and equipment (not inventory). For the other stuff you take over my criticism is mostly that it's badly communicated. Sometimes you take over your gold, sometimes you don't sometimes you take over all your hired mercs, sometimes only a few, sometimes none. So you always need to fiddle around with that to max it out. But yeah, besides of that, and besides of some missing dragging on for too long I think it's an excellent game.

Hmm…I remember this game from a few years back. Does it still have a following? Also if I recall didn't the developer go bankrupt, but made a few mods for Mount and Blade?

Hmm…I remember this game from a few years back. Does it still have a following? Also if I recall didn't the developer go bankrupt, but made a few mods for Mount and Blade?
Oh, didn't know they had gone bankrupt.
I thought they had a successful launch for this game.

Seems I was wrong.

Oh, didn't know they had gone bankrupt.
I thought they had a successful launch for this game.

Seems I was wrong.
If was after the games launch around the time they released Eisenwald: Blood of November. They didn't close down but let go most of the employees and restructured.

The mods were made with a different team/developer name.

I would highly recommend it…I was also surprised by the miniquests

This was one of the aspects that got seriously borked by poor translation. IIRC, the game is German by origin, so you probably played it as it was intended, but playing it in English was much more of a struggle. Understandable for a small developer, but this might have been a case where the dev could have benefitted from not translating it until the reviews and word of mouth had built up from their home country & maybe got a group of dedicated fans to help with the translation at a later date.

Back
Top Bottom