Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Mythic Paths Ranked

Who wouldn't like Azata? ;)

MG admits it's subjective. He ranks them by how much he enjoyed each one and how good the accompanying story is. Not by how powerful they are.

From last to first:

Last - Swarm that Walks, low rank mainly because there are a lot of steps to unlock it, and because you end up alone and so a lot of storytelling and content is lost. But very powerful.

Legend - "vanilla choice".

Devil - Mechanically boring and underwhelming, but nice concept and story to get it.

Angel - MG prefers not to play "good", so personal. Cool powers, strong mythic path. Default "good" path in the game.

Lich - Nice to raise bosses and minions, strong mechanics, but not an interesting concept for MG.

Trickster - Fun for the laugh but doesn't fit the crusade plot & feeling very well. Too nonsensical.

Gold Dragon - Ranked higher because who doesn't want to be a dragon, strong mechanics. Also "good" though.

Aeon - Nice mechanics but foremost very good story.

Demon - MG's first pick for the alignment. Also very cool mechanics, robust mythic path.

First - Azata - MG didn't want to like it because "good (chaotic)" again, but too compelling. Aivu is a great companion, mythic path that is very strong mechanically, story a bit goofy.

Well I'm fine with Azata, I also think it's one of the best. The only reason I didn't play it is because my partner did and he was faster (playing RTwP, ugh!), and I didn't wanna trail behind him doing all the same things. So cus I'm a softie at heart (really!) I went Angel into Gold Dragon, which I also found to be very fun and fulfilling.

Big props to the guy for actually finishing the game in every path (I'm assuming he did to get a full informed opinion). I don't care that he admits it's biased, that is a given - all opinions are biased, but bonus honesty points for admiting it and not thinking he has the best, most objective and most valid opinion in the world. It's a trait I appreciate.

I think its obviously very subjective. I haven't played the game hardly at all yet, just waiting for the (everlasting? lol) ever-ongoing patches they are doing, but I know I would not agree with this guys choices.

For example, he puts Swarm that Walks on the bottom? OMG. No friggin' way! That is one of the coolest paths to me in terms of the ones I want to play.

And what he considers drawbacks, I consider very possible strengths.
Of course I have to speculate a bit here, but I'm super picky when it comes to companions, and the ones I saw already, well, let's put it this way, they did the opposite of impressing me, and making me want to have them in my party.

Now, if this holds true for the whole game - and I saw plenty of people in forums say they felt that way about most or all of the companions in this game (unfortunately) - then getting rid of all the (lame) companions would be a blessing, and certainly not a bad thing.

And again, he says its a pain to do all the steps necessary to unlock Swarm that Walks, well, for me that is part of the appeal - that its difficult to do, and that you have to do all these steps, almost like solving a puzzle or something, to unlock it.

So for me, Swarm that Walks is one of the top mythic paths to try.

Moving on, others I find intriguing a lot more than he did is The Lich, and Angel. Both of those seem like very cool paths to me. Lastly, Golden Dragon is one I agree with, that it sounds like a very cool path to try.

Meanwhile, the Trickster and Azata, just in concept (which is important to me) would be near the bottom of the ones I would find interesting enough to want to try.

Something like this is very personal and subjective as everyone has said. I do think there is still some merit in it for those who may want to know which path is the most popular (some want to go with the flow and others might want to avoid the popular), which one is the most powerful, which one has best story (relative of course), the most depth, etc. Still subjective but still useful feedback.

I have finished Azata and Mortal Legend completely. I loved Azata and everything about it. ML I liked at first but in the end it left a bad taste in my mouth and won't do it again.

Angel I completed until I switched to ML. I really enjoyed it and regret switching. Live and learn.

Gold Dragon I tried for a couple hours before deciding to go back to an old save and doing ML. Another regret.

I found the information useful although I can't play evil characters. I try but since I don't enjoy being evil I always end up going good. I really want to try Demon, however, as I like the rage idea. I have a quick bad temper so can relate to that aspect of the Demon. I can also certainly be a dick, in real life or these forums :p but that's usually a temper or bad mood thing not a consistent personality trait (at least I hope not).

So being Demon would be fun to let loose some of that rage and fit the character except I know I would not be able to follow it all the way. I don't want to be a demon. I would like to be a reformed fiend - a demon that turns to good like a bunch of examples in the game). I don't know if that is really an option though.

What happens if a path requires a certain alignment and you totally move out of it? Does the mythic path die? Do you stop getting them? Are you forced?

Swarm, Devil, and Lich are too nasty for me ... Demon already covered. Aeon - not very good at being impartial. I am very emotional ... probably why I like Azata so much. Trickster is too silly for me I think.

Anyhow I have two more play throughs I am doing. One will be Angel all the way. The other will either redo Azata or go gold dragon. I wonder if I could be demon and then go dragon :p

I only finished the game once with angel and haven't even unlocked any of the late paths but these are my orders for now:

1. Azata - Aivu is the best, friendship is magical, rainbows and butterflies are cherry on top ;)

2. Angel - I loved angel story probably one of the most fitting with WotR setting (I also love playing "good" character)

3. Trickster - its pretty hilarious to prank demons (altho can be quite nasty too at times)

4. Lich - I don't like playing evil but this path makes most sense for redemption imo (by switching to gold dragon later)

5. Aeon - they can do some amazing things but I have trouble being lawful character in WotR

6. Demon - nothing about this path really appealed to me until I saw the ending for the first time. Very good opportunity to play a character closely related to the main villain ;)

I initially played Angel, but then switched to Azata...having a dragon companion was too much to pass up ;-) And Aivu becomes super powerful - her breath weapon isn't resisted by anything I came across, can instantly blast a large group of enemies for a huge amount of damage. And she has dragon fear (very hard to resist) - so many enemies have to flee, even powerful ones. And she has tons of healing, raise dead, buffs etc etc. And Azata has some quite powerful spells. To be honest, the path seems quite overwpowered with Aivu? But not sure what capstone powers of other classes are like or if they have a powerful companion to aid you.

I also struggle to play evil paths, and the trickster just didn't appeal to me. The Aeon was also too restrictive in terms of choices.

Stil not done yet - now in Iz, so think I'm close to the end.

I'm playing Azata right now (Chap IV) and for me the general tone of the path is a little too goofy and flowery. Aivu is sweet, but I would have rather liked a classic dragon with "normal" wings instead of these insectile wings. I have an insect trauma since Leeper's Smile. ;)

If I'm replaying the game, I'll go for Angel. I don't really like playing lawfull, so guess I'll like this one about equally as the Azata.

Best choice for me would have been some neutral good option or the Archmage.

I'm playing Azata right now (Chap IV) and for me the general tone of the path is a little too goofy and flowery. Aivu is sweet, but I would have rather liked a classic dragon with "normal" wings instead of these insectile wings. I have an insect trauma since Leeper's Smile. ;)

If I'm replaying the game, I'll go for Angel. I don't really like playing lawfull, so guess I'll like this one about equally as the Azata.

Best choice for me would have been some neutral good option or the Archmage.

When you go Angel, you can choose to favour your good side over the lawful one, which helped me a lot to enjoy it, as I don't like at all how Lawful is presented in the game.

As a tip, if you go too far from the target alignment you want, you can always use scrolls of atonement to reset yourself to your original alignment. I had to do this a couple of times too because Cahotic choices are pretty absurd in general as well and choosing (Good) will slowly shift you towards Neutral too, for whatever reason.

When you go Angel, you can choose to favour your good side over the lawful one, which helped me a lot to enjoy it, as I don't like at all how Lawful is presented in the game.
Yeah, it's the same for Azata where you can focus on good instead of chaotic. My MC is NG and generally I select the options I like most no matter if they're chaotic or lawful. So far I'm quite balanced.

FFS I'm 200hrs in and still in Act 2… How are you people finishing this game multiple times, already?

It's long but not that long, normally. I expect the normal time to reach Act 3 is about 50-60 hours, if you take the time to explore. More if you play in turn-based mode.

Did you replay several times?

Act 3 starts when you have liberated Drezen, maybe the confusion comes from there?

FFS I'm 200hrs in and still in Act 2… How are you people finishing this game multiple times, already?

By purely playing in RTwP ;) I finished it once after about 120 hours. But then, I've already played 495 during alpha/beta so I rushed through earlier chapters a bit.

It's long but not that long, normally. I expect the normal time to reach Act 3 is about 50-60 hours, if you take the time to explore. More if you play in turn-based mode.

Did you replay several times?

Act 3 starts when you have liberated Drezen, maybe the confusion comes from there?

Alright I'm in Act 3 then. I still can't get to the city "somewhere south of Palura's Falls" but I finally just cleared the fortress unlocking that path. That's the only 'quest will fail if you progress' thing I've got left, and admittedly I've done quests that could probably have waited. But I'm basically at 200 hrs and this is my first playthrough.

AS a side note, perhaps this world should invent "bridge construction" instead of some of the other tech they're dabbling with. The road system is ridiculous without bridges.

If anyone is curious, this was the result of discord poll on mythic path:

Which mythic path do you think has the best story?
1. Azata - 149 votes
2. Angel - 105 votes
3. Aeon - 57
4. Lich - 55
5. Legend - 36
6. Demon & Trickster - 33
8. Swarm - 18
9. Gold dragon - 13
10. Devil - 6

Back
Top Bottom