Best RPGs of 2012 @ G4TV

Dhruin

SasqWatch
G4TV lists what they believe will be the best RPGs of 2012. It's a thin list, featuring Mass Effect 3, Diablo 3, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Risen 2 and a couple of jRPGs. A sample:
While the original Risen has a loyal fanbase among PC players, the 360 version is generally regarded as a less-than-stellar game. Luckily, the tech problems that plagued Risen have been acknowledged and the devs promise they will be solved. Still, a stable game isn't enough to be listed among the top RPGs of the year, but the subject matter is. One word: Pirates. It's a Pirate RPG. It's a bit of a wildcard, but pirates alone shoud be enough to put this title on every RPG fans watch-list.
More information.

On my list Risen 2 is definitely one of the best RPG of 2012.
I have my eye on Reckoning & ME3. And maybe Diablo 3. From G4tv list.

Other than Risen 2, I'm not too excited about how 2012 is looking right now. I'm hoping ME3 turns out to be better than expected, but I have very little interest in Kingdoms of Amalur or Diablo 3.

Of course I don't expect a site like G4TV to mention any indie titles, but I think Legend of Grimrock is worth keeping an eye on.

...but I have very little interest in Kingdoms of Amalur ..."

Amalur doesn't interest you? It caught my attention a few days ago (somehow missed it despite RPGWatch's best efforts). Over the years here I've noticed my RPG tastes are much like yours but I do find myself interested in this title.

I'm with JDR in regards to AAA RPGs for 2012 - although I won't complain much because 2011 has had three AAA RPGs that I really enjoyed (Witcher 2, Human Revolution, and Skyrim).

For 2012, Risen 2 is the only AAA RPG that I am very confident will be a really good RPG. I feel that KoA has potential and I will definitely keep an eye on it, but there are some elements that I am a little concerned with - hopefully it turns out to be a solid experience. I really enjoyed Mass Effect 1, but after ME2 I am extremely apathetic about the third entry (thanks not only to overly streamlined gameplay, but also because of the direction of the story and unappealing character writing). Never cared for Diablo, so I doubt D3 will change my mind on the series. If Arcane Studios' new project gets released in 2012, I think that will be the "dark-horse" candidate to be the surprise RPG of the year.

For indies, I'm looking forward to Age of Decadence and Dead State, but I have very strong doubts that either will be released before 2013.

Yeah, 2012 is looking to be a catch-up year for me on the CRPG front. Luckily I have a metric buttload of 'em to catch up on.

I think 2012 will be more about MMOs for me with Star Wars, Secret World, and Guild Wars 2. X: Rebirth should take up insane hours as well.

Instead of playing alot of excellent to Average rpgs and excelent DLC (FNV) like in the last 14 months. The next 14 months seem to be full of decent to average rpgs and DLC to both excellent and average rpgs for me to fill in the holes after and between rpg releases. I'll probably play Skyrim and Deus Ex HR dlc. And I'll play DLC to Dungeon Siege III and Two Worlds II (and when I'm really desperate to play something even the DLC to Arcania).
I wonder if any big budget RPGs have to be revealed yet that are deep into production. There are hardly any games announced for July-December.

Other than Risen 2, I'm not too excited about how 2012 is looking right now. I'm hoping ME3 turns out to be better than expected, but I have very little interest in Kingdoms of Amalur or Diablo 3.

Of course I don't expect a site like G4TV to mention any indie titles, but I think Legend of Grimrock is worth keeping an eye on.

Legend Of Grimrock is definitely worth keeping an eye on. I am excited about it.
Avernum:Escape From The Pit is also interesting.

I wonder what will Game Of Thrones(RPG) deliver? It doesn't look special, but,still I would like it to shine. It has my attention.

And I really hope to see Eshalon Book 3 sometime next year. Basilisk Games is my favorite indie developer.
Also, Dungeon Legend might be fun.
As for the ME3 I am not expecting much. The firs two is good. Also I do not count it to be an RPG. It is a action-shooter,with some RPG elements mixed into.
KOA:Reckoning does not look so bad. Even if it looks MMO-ish and too console-ish.
Diablo 3....hack & slash baby, hack & slash :)

Although I know this is predominantly a PC RPG forum, I'm greatly looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles. It sounds like the Japanese answer to Baldur's Gate, including expansive world with numerous side quests, party members who actually matter (and who can, if you choose that route, be romanced), and a very detailed and customizable RPG level system. That's a day one purchase for me, although I know the anime style will not appeal to many here.

I also am interested in Risen 2, because I just have a particular affinity for pirate games.

Maybe 2012 will be the year we get to play Inquisitor. Legend Of Grimrock is on my top of the list. Then Risen2,Escape from the Pit, Torchlight 2, D3, Grim Dawn,Realms Of Ancient War is another hack and slash that looks great.Of Orcs and Men started to look good. Dead State,AOD. Also Legends Of Dawn looks really interesting. Could care less for ME3. Happy Holidays fellow gamers ! I need to pick up Frayed Kights.

Of those listed, Risen 2, and Reckoning are the RPGs that interest me most. Maybe Mass Effect 3. It's a fun shooter with a good story, even though it's RPG are a little lacking for me.

For the unmentioned Indie RPG scene:
-Really looking forward to age of Decadence.
-Grimrock looks promising
-Hope the Rampant Coyote can get another episode of Frayed Knights out in 2012 (though probably not).
-Same for Basilisk
-Let's see what is on Jeff Vogel's plate this year? Avernum remake for PC and probably Avadon sequel for Mac? I'll pass on both probably. If he surprises me and makes something like Geneforge again, he might pull me back in.
-I am chomping at the bit for Drox Operatives.

2012 will be a good year. Risen 2, Reckoning, and Skyrim DLC will all be day one purchases for me.

As for games in my backlog, I still have yet to play the original Risen, and only played a handful of hours of Sacred 2. Those are 2 games I want to get into if I ever get around to it. I should definitely have enough games to play for 2012 and beyond, that's for sure.

I have too many games to catch up on - out of the big three mentioned for 2011, I've only managed to play the one. (Witcher 2). I'll wait longer before picking up Skyrim and combine that with Risen 2, 2012 is still measuring up nicely.

Having said that, 2011 isn't over yet. ;) I'm currently having an absolute blast with Nehrim and my modded New Vegas game with all of the DLC installed is nearly ready to go and shall be my "summer" game.

Even in 2012 would be a great year (at least, for me): Risen 2, Amalur, Legend of Grimrock, maybe Age of Decadence (I hope so, I'm too curious to play it!).
Personally I don't care about Diablo 3, and Mass Effect 3... Who still considers it an RPG?

While many of the most hardcore RPG fans balk at multiplayer being added to a beloved series, this may be just the thing to kickstart the series and add something uniquely current to the mix
:rolleyes: Yes, because Hardcore RPGs never had mulitiplayer…at all…ever…especially no bioware game. Well, except for all those games they MADE, helped make and those they published like Baldur's Gate, Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale Heart of Winter, Icewind Dale Trials of the Luremaster, Icewind Dale II and Icewind Dale II Adventure Pack.

Just from bioware (before it was spade and neutered at the same time to become eaware :poo: ) this really incomplete list, there is literally only a 1000 hours of game play, there's nothing…not any multiplayer.

Risen 2, Dead State and Age of Decadence.

Although I know this is predominantly a PC RPG forum, I'm greatly looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles. It sounds like the Japanese answer to Baldur's Gate, including expansive world with numerous side quests, party members who actually matter (and who can, if you choose that route, be romanced), and a very detailed and customizable RPG level system. That's a day one purchase for me, although I know the anime style will not appeal to many here.

I also am interested in Risen 2, because I just have a particular affinity for pirate games.

Yes, I was thinking along those lines as well but then I noticed it's a Wii exclusive, so thats that.

From those games I promise not to play Diablo 3. There is nothing for me in there.

Others... Risen 2 will definetly be on my (virtual probably) shelf. Can't promise anything for the rest.

Yes, I was thinking along those lines as well but then I noticed it's a Wii exclusive, so thats that.

Yeah, I've got a Wii collecting dust that I'll have to break out for this one. A pretty dismal gaming platform for an RPG, and the graphics look like late PS2 era, but gameplay is king after all.

Back
Top Bottom