Eschalon: Book II - Peek # 2 @ RPG Vault

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGVault takes their second look at Basilisk Games' cRPG in development, Eschalon:Book II, focusing on improvements in the gameplay and engine since Book I:
While returning players will feel familiar with the mechanics of the game, nearly everything underneath the hood has been updated to reflect the requests made by fans of the first edition. Features such as an auto-stacking inventory, a ring for maintaining acquired keys, an improved alchemy mixer and spell journal are just a few of the dozens of enhancements made to the engine...

There are various enhancements to the gameplay as well. For starters, the upper level limit of character development has been raised to 30, allowing for deeper builds and a greater range of customization than before. Two new skills have been added (Repair and Foraging) bringing the total number in Book II to 26. In addition, the existing set has been rebalanced, making many of the original ones more functional, and therefore more useful. Since the Eschalon series is skill-based, any class can experiment with any choice without limitations; however new in-game Challenges will reward players who utilize those aligned with specific classes, archetypes or goals.

The arcane arts of Magick and Alchemy have been updated for Book II as well. The total number of available spells has expanded to 45, with new possibilities like Milo's Cell of Holding (entrap a group of enemies within an energy field) and Draw Water (pull humidity from the air to fill your Water Skins) joining revamped ones such as Dense Nimbus (formally Air Shield). For would-be alchemists, the addition of new reagents to the game means a larger range of potions can be crafted, not to mention fresh imbuing mixtures that can applied to weapons and armor, improving their abilities.
More information.

Last edited:
Getting closer can't wait myself:)

That one screen of npc interaction looked really nice.

I thought the first game was excellent, and I am looking forward to playing this. The screenshot of the dialogue looks promising to, maybe more C&C through the dialogue this time? The gameplay was such a blast last time that if they added more C&C to the expanded gameplay options this could be a really great game. Is it still scheduled for a Q2 release?

i dont buy games often but for this one i am gonna make an exception. they deserve every euro cent for this product.

cant wait to play this marble.

Its nice that someone is still making games for me. With Bioware, Obsidian, Bethesda, etc. It always hit or miss. This game I know I will like.

Nice article, definitely one of my most anticipated games this year.

I don't know, but to me, those screenshots are EXACTLY my idea of what a crpg is supposed to look like. Clean, realistic, moody, crisp graphics layed out on a 2D isometric screen. This is my kind of rpg heaven... can't friggin' wait!!!

I don't know, but to me, those screenshots are EXACTLY my idea of what a crpg is supposed to look like. Clean, realistic, moody, crisp graphics layed out on a 2D isometric screen. This is my kind of rpg heaven... can't friggin' wait!!!

True, i feel the same. It would be nice if there were a party to control though.
But i hope its not too long before they announce their "EOB"-style game...

I think some of you will be surprised.

I just downloaded the updated demo for Book I for a replay and I'm enjoying it much more this time through-(-though the darkness at night and in dungeons still makes me feel more like glaucoma and ensuing blindness has kicked in than anything else ;) )

I think I may be getting sucked in though and may have to finally buy it while waiting for Book II, which has some features I'm definitely looking forward to.

You have seriously not bought it? Ack, why are you still here! Go buy it now:)

Seems they are out of the cd version--only the download available. Not my preference, but I'll think about it.

This one's worth bending the rules, magerette. GO BUY IT NOW!!! (couldn't resist piling on)

Good God, woman! All I've thought you were is now being called into quesiton! Go buy it and save me this consternation!

;)

The download isn't bad though....its a tiny one:) like 128mb I think....could be wrong

Talk about peer pressure...'kay ,all, it's on my list when I get my next game $$$ allotted. I'm not really as old school in my game tastes as some, but on this demo playthrough I'm actually getting that real crpg smell. MMMMmmmm, role playing. ;-)

Talk about peer pressure...'kay ,all, it's on my list when I get my next game $$$ allotted. I'm not really as old school in my game tastes as some, but on this demo playthrough I'm actually getting that real crpg smell. MMMMmmmm, role playing. ;-)

... and to think I used to like you ... ;)

Seriously - with the discount on Steam now it is time for a deal!

Back
Top Bottom