RPGWatch - Falling for the Evil Ads Empire?

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
As you might have noticed we are running an ad at the top of our page. And this for the site that was running without any ads for all this time. So what is happening? Are we selling our souls????
No not really. This is an experiment. Good Old Games approached us with a deal; Everybody who registers with GOG through the banner link we have at the top of our pages is marked as coming from RPGWatch. We then get a percentage of every game that is purchased from GOG by that user.
This deal doesn't apply to already registered users, it is only valid for new users.
We never said that we wouldn't be running any ads (we have one from 1C in the Game of the Year newsbit). What we do believe in that IF we are running ads it has to be about games, we have to be in control of the ads (so no funky flash ads that try to install stuff on your PC), no pop-ups and the front page is not going to be postered with ads. So this is why we have this single banner from Good Old Games.
We can cope with the cost of running this server without the ads, but if we want to keep on growing cost might be rising as well, so this is why this experiment is running for the next 3 months. If it is a success, we consider if we continue this. If not then we have to consider where we want to go with this site. It will definitely not mean the end of RPGWatch either way, so no worries.
More information.

I don't see it as "selling out" with a few ads to places you recomended anyways. Too bad it's only for new members, I already signed up a long time ago because of a news post from this site.

I don't mind, but I think it limits what you can review/talk about so much in the forums - if anyone from RPGWATCH posts anything positive about GOG now it will look like their view is being influenced by advertising money, and independence is one of the best things about RPGWATCH.

I don't mind, but I think it limits what you can review/talk about so much in the forums - if anyone from RPGWATCH posts anything positive about GOG now it will look like their view is being influenced by advertising money, and independence is one of the best things about RPGWATCH.

I think you might be reading too much into it. Unlike other sites, RPGwatch actually backs up their opinions with true facts about the game or in this case the site. Keyword in that sentence was "true" ;)

Ads

It is your site and your costs, you have every right to do what you need to do to make your life easier and more cost efficient. We don't really have a right to tell you how to run your business, that is your right. We may have requests and such but in the end it is your decision that matters.

I think it's great for you guys. In fact, i was going to pick up the Freespace games from that site. So, i will just click on the banner to enter the site.

Make sure your cookies are activated. ;)

A GOG ad? Heh, I did not even notice until I read this post. It covers the RPGWatch logo a bit, though. ;)

Seem like I will have to register another account there.

Ads don't bother me as long as they aren't intrusive. For those of us that have already registered at GOG, it's too bad we can't put that we go there from here. Without this site, I'd have never of heard of it, and I've already bought several games and plan to buy more.

FWIW, ads are fine. Except pop-ups and mouse-overs and anything that steals focus. I hate those ads.

I hope this form of distribution catches on for newer games too, so definitely a good initiative.

Also, image link for ads is good as iframes are evil and just an invitation for malware. :)

So anyone buy anything from these guys? Are the games updated to run slower?

I was looking at freespace 2 but....not sure if its worth it.

Is there any way to make an existing GOG account "RPGWatch-friendly"?

I always thought this anti-ad thing a bit bizarre. What's wrong with ads anyway? *Obnoxious* ads are one thing, of course, but ads that are consistent with the topic and them of the site...?

So anyone buy anything from these guys? Are the games updated to run slower?

I was looking at freespace 2 but....not sure if its worth it.

I've bought Fallout 1 & 2 and Lionheart. Games run fine. I haven't bought anything old enough to require my PC to be slowed down though.

Back
Top Bottom