Big Huge Games - Bought by THQ

Dhruin

SasqWatch
THQ has announced the acquisition of Big Huge Games, and of course, their Ken Rolston -lead big, huge RPG:
THQ has announced it will acquire Big Huge Games (Rise of Nations, Catan) for an undisclosed sum, making the Maryland-based studio a wholly-owned subsidiary.

In May of 2007, THQ and Big Huge Games announced a development agreement for an RPG led by Oblivion developer Ken Rolston, currently anticipated for a 2009 debut on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
More information.

Debut on Xbox 360 and PS3? I'm not a huge Elder Scrolls fan but it's so nice to see that the system that brought these guys fame isn't even on the debut list. Guess the PC is out of fashion now. Oh well at least I can pop in one of the oldies if I get tired of console PC games.

Did Ken Rolston just do Oblivion or was he there from the beginning?

He was lead designer on Morrowind and was a writer/designer of old pnp rpgs - worked on 3e Runequest Glorantha and designed Paranoia.

He designed Paranoia? LOL. I loved that game!

Its the only game I've played where it was fun sifting through red tape and filling out paperwork. I guess games do prepare you for real life.

Also, there are opportunities everywhere for stepping on (killing) your closest allies to get ahead. He's usually part of a secret a society just like us all (I am not). And everything is run by a computer.

He was credited with Development and Editing for (what I believe to be) the first pnp version back in '84.

Kind of caught me by suprise when I read this. If I recall correctly Big Huge RPG was originally being made for the PC. A quick check shows that it is indeed still being made for the PC and will debut along with the console versions in 2009.

I would hypothesize the deal with THQ may have brought about the console versions. Of course what do I know. lately it seems not much ;)

Ubbax
"Idealism is what precedes experience; cynicism is what follows." - David T. Wolf

Back
Top Bottom