Dungeons - Spiritual Successor to Dungeon Keeper

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
This is for all you Dungeon Keeper or Evil Genius fans out there. Dungeons is a game being developed by Kalypso that will be released in early 2011. It looks to be a spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper.
You can read more about it at Kalypso's forums and watch a video at Dungeon's homepage. Although the homepage is rather sparse right now with only a few links there. Mana Pool has posted some information about the game as well as a variety of screenshots for Dungeons:

In Kalypso Media’s own words:
“Dungeons follows the mis-adventures of the foremost of all Dungeon Lords, who spends his time luring heroes into his labyrinthine creations with the promise of treasure and a good fight — only to be trapped by his ingenious devices. Once they are in his grasp, our Dungeon Lord must look after and cherish his new found prisoners until they are more comfortable with their surroundings because come the “harvest”, happy heroes have more precious soul energy for you to gleefully extract via foul prisons or twisted torture chambers!

In Dungeons, our protagonist falls victim to a devious plot hatched by his vile, nasty and thoroughly vicious ex-girlfriend and finds himself at the bottom of the underworld hierarchy and the top of the dungeon pile which in this world is about as bad as it can get. Our Lord must have his revenge, and make his way back down the dungeon levels to his rightful place — but first he must deal with his new bosses, the three despicable Dungeon Lords who stand in his way.

Dungeons Preview Screenshot 2At his disposal are his dim-witted goblin minions who dig tunnels and build rooms to lay out his lair and trap ever stronger and braver heroes who dare to enter, not forgetting to plot his revenge against his ex-girlfriend and his new bosses who think it’s great fun to bombard him with useless tasks. It goes without saying that a malicious and sneaky creature such as our Dungeon Lord has more than a few tricks up his sleeve. Revenge will be sweet indeed.”

Features of Dungeons:

* Get ready for a fight! Lure 10 different hero classes into your dungeon where 15 different monsters lurk in the darkness.
* 20 challenging campaign missions demand all your cunning to succeed. Survive them – and there’s still the custom game waiting for you.
* In a dungeon there’s only one way you can go and that’s down. Conquer three different underworld levels and the bosses who guard them to become the one and only Dungeon Lord.
* Prison cells and torture chambers are at your command and ready to capture your next hero and steal their precious soul energy.
* Create the dungeon of your dreams (and heroes’ nightmares) with 50 different objects at your disposal.
* Wimpy goblin workers are awaiting your orders to create your next diabolical dungeon masterpiece.

…………………..

So the general vibe of Dungeons seems to be “Dungeon Keeper meets Evil Genius” – a great combination of style and gameplay and one we at Mana Pool are all thoroughly looking forward to. As a massive fan of the original Dungeon Keeper games, I can personally barely contain my excitement! Of course, there are a couple of things I’ve been wondering about…
RPS also has a few thoughts on the game:
Feelings:

Excitement! Dungeon Keeper! Prettier! Sort of. Actually, I’m not sure about the look. Then again, DK never took a great screenshot either. Best to see it in motion, I suspect.

Worry! Not Bullfrog! May be either too slavishly similar or, like those UFO titles, just doesn’t capture the spirit!

But come on. This is brilliant. The fact of it is brilliant. With EA lending the license to Chinese MMOs, it seemed we’d never see the like of DK again. We will. Wonderful news – just hope they take the concept further rather than simply repeating it.
More information.

Last edited:
Rather large newsbit, but had to get a bunch of info in there :)

This one has gone on my must buy list. It's about time someone made another DK style game. I know it's probably not the best genre to rake in the dough with, but there are still a lot of fans out there who are just chomping at the bit to play an updated DK. I'm one of them ;)

Yay for Dungeon Keeper! Hopefully more like DK1 than DK2.
My friend and I tried to make some kind of DK-like game a month ago, multiplayer-only and with an office-setting. That shows that I never stopped to admire the great ideas, atmosphere and gameplay of Dungeon Keeper.

Seems interesting. Keep me informed,
DK is still one of my favourite games ever

oh yeah baby, oh yeah!!

It even looks like the Lord is fighting in the dungeon himself, not just a disembodied hand! so stoked about this, DK is one of my all time faves

I played an early demo on the Games Com.

You can control the Dungeon Lord yourself, and "defeat" innocent heroes which are invading your dungeon yourself, too.

Heroes - or rather, their belongings (money, too !) is so to say the source of your (the Dungeon Lord's) economy.

The only other bit of interest I encountered was an goblin advisor. He helps you through building up your own dungeon.

Heroes are attracted by and lured into it by "portals".

At your service. ;)

It was dark, yet colourful, by the way. ;)

...and that's good, because like the original concept - it's humorous evil, not unlike Overlord's approach to malevolence. I think that's far more fun to play.

I've heard from early reports that it might indeed be too slavishly similar to the original DK. It's much less of a "spiritual sequel" than an actual remake.

...But you won't hear me complaining about that, despite that fact that DK1 has held up remarkably well after all these years.

I loved Dungeon Keeper back then, it was different. Keep us up to date RPGWatch. ;)

I'm keeping my eye on it for sure but I'm definitely going to wait for reviews to see if this is a spiritual successor or just a cheap knock-off.

From what I've heard this game is a lot like DK. These guys know how to revive a classic, unlike other JA2 developers who will remain unnamed ;)

a remake or a spiritual successor, I don't care
For all I care it is DK1 with modern graphics, I would love it :)

I just wanted to give a heads up that Mana Pool will also be publishing an interview on Saturday as a follow up to this preview, in which the developers explain a bit more about gameplay and address some other burning issues such as multiplayer. :)

One of the only caveats I faced with Dungeon Keeper was the graphics, which tended to be a bit muddy and vague at times, making visual focus difficult. The interface was also a little quirky, and sometimes cluttered. However, I still really enjoyed what I played of it at the time, and was always hoping that they'd do something like this again on modern hardware. This is definitely one to keep an eye on.

Back
Top Bottom