GOG - Wizardry VI-VIII Available On GOG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
GOG just sent out a press release announcing the last three chapters of the Wizardry series are now avaible on their service .

Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge, Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant is $5.99 and Wizardry 8 is sold as a stand-alone for $9.99
The cult classic RPG series Wizardry finally arrives on GOG.com

DRM-FREE DIGITAL DISTRIBUTOR RELEASES THE BEST GAMES OF THE WIZARDRY SERIES: WIZARDRY VI: BANE OF THE COSMIC FORGE, WIZARDRY VII: CRUSADERS OF THE DARK SAVANT, AND WIZARDRY 8

(23 May 2013) — Gather your party and prepare for some dungeon crawling! GOG.com, the DRM-free home to the immortal classics for PC and Mac, has delivered another all-time great in its catalog: it's time for some Wizardry! The last three entries to the genre-defining classic RPG series are available now at GOG.com.

Wizardry, set in a world boldly mixing fantasy and Sci-Fi themes, has gathered quite a cult following of loyal fans along the years. Celebrated for creating one of the most complex storylines in RPG history and equally praised for its unmistakable sense of humor, the series is still perceived as one of the most influential creations in the history of RPG games. Wizardry games have appeared on many "all-time best" lists and have received numerous distinctions, such as RPG of the Year (Wizardry VII, Wizardry 8; Computer Gaming World), Best Role Playing Game of 1991 (Wizardry VI; Power Play), Top Ten Best PC Games of 2001 (Wizardry 8; GameSpot). With one of the more intricate class systems in the history of the genre, over 700 (yes, SEVEN HUNDRED!) hours of gameplay, and an import feature, allowing players to finish the entire trilogy with the same six-character party they started out with, the Dark Savant Trilogy follows up on the promise of an epic adventure. Wizardry 8, the last entry to this celebrated series, is also a proof that a smooth transition to the next generation of games is possible. A thoroughly modern makeover of its 2D predecessors, that took 9 years to finish, the game has performed an uncanny feat of updating its architecture into 3D, without losing any of its character.

With releases of Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge, Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant, and Wizardry 8, this summer might turn out to be an all-indoor season for cRPG lovers old and new. Wizardry VI + VII (including the original DOS version, and the Wizardry Gold edition of the title) will be available on GOG.com for only $5.99 and Wizardry 8 for $9.99 from Thursday, May 23 2013, 6:00 AM EDT!
More information.

Last edited:
All three are great games, and well worth the asking price.
Some day I hope to replay them… but I don't have 700 hours to spare right now.

So… do I delete them now and buy from GOG? :anxious:
You don't have to. Unless you want newer versions optimized for win 7 and 8.;) That's the only reason I can think of.

Hmm I never did play enough of these...I only ever played the gold remaster and for not very long. Perhaps I should revisit these. Played a lot of 8 though.

Not played them before, and tempted by Wizardry 8.

Is it just a dungeon crawler with turn-based combat and party 'micro-' management?

Is there a main and interesting story/quest and side quests?

Are there any factions and alignment?

Are there any choices and consequences?

Is the world open (i.e. go anywhere, kill anyone, multiple paths to solve problems .. etc.)?

Spoon, the answers to most of your questions is Yes. It is far more than a dungeon crawler, and while you can go anywhere, I wouldn't recommend it early on; you might last 20 seconds. :) However, it is essential to grab the wizfast mod unless you have an hour or 2 to spend on every battle. It REALLY speeds up the TB combat.

Spoon, the answers to most of your questions is Yes. It is far more than a dungeon crawler, and while you can go anywhere, I wouldn't recommend it early on; you might last 20 seconds. :) However, it is essential to grab the wizfast mod unless you have an hour or 2 to spend on every battle. It REALLY speeds up the TB combat.

Thank you Corwin for your reply. This sounds very good - I will pick it up and the good thing that I will be able to play it on my old laptop.

Thanks for the wizfast tip too, this is useful as I don't want to wait too long for enemy formations.

Back
Top Bottom