InSomnia - Hands-On Impressions

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Insomnia: The Ark has been previewed by many outlets now that the beta embargo has been lifted.

Cram Gaming Impression can be read at the link or you can watch the videos:

The Opening Segment:

Cultured Vultures shared their gameplay impressions:

When you’re fighting in an area, you’ll notice some characters have yellow names and some have red, as well as some of them having different symbols, too. The symbol tells you what type of weaponry they use, and yellow names generally mean that they don’t see you as a threat to be attacked, whether that means they see you as an ally is a different question, although they will defend themselves if your enemies get too close to them. Red names mean they see you as an enemy, but that can also mean that they cower in fear and hope to not die.
TechRaptor came away positive:

There are also quite a few very clever minigames for hacking, lockpicking, and mechanic fixes. The influence of the minigames in BioShock is very obvious, but there is an original strain here that makes them satisfying and fun to play. Some of them require a substantial amount of crafting material, making it challenging and rewarding. It’s not just a distraction, it fits the setting and the RPG system in a way that is seamless and compelling.
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Interesting positive preview. Only the first 7 minutes is discussion the rest is just playing. Sounds like has potential but still needs a bit of work.

I like the setting but can't get over it that they chose sh**ty action combat over a proper gentleman's turn-based system.

I like the setting but can't get over it that they chose sh**ty action combat over a proper gentleman's turn-based system.
Doesn't bother me as I play every type of RPG game. Though it was supposed to be RTwp in the earlier videos, but it looks to have changed during it's long development.:)

Wishlisted to check in with the game after it's released.

A Thingmaster? I guess that's a master of thingiemebobs.

Interesting setting parallel with The New World.

Hey people! Thanks for covering the game (as always). I'm here to answer your questions if you have any.

Did you expect turn-based for a game using a third-person ots view?

Game looks interesting btw. I'm already following it on Steam after I saw wolfgrimdark mention it.

Looks fine!

What's the current release roadmap?

Is it using an established or custom engine?
On the very start of the second video you can see in the lower left that it's Unreal Engine 4.

I for one and so glad it's not turn based. I am still trying to recover from the hours I put in for DDOS2 turn based playing. It was fun but can only handle so much and have not yet recovered from it. To the point that I have stopped tracking pretty much any turn based only game as the idea of playing another one makes my eye twitch sporadically.

For this style of game I much prefer pause real time with queued commands like BG or POE. But can also deal with a more action like pace if needed.

It was moving to the new combat that perked my interest to begin with and it seems to have some depth to the story and some cool mechanics. Unless something big changes in the game design I totally plan on playing this the day it is released.

I'm with wolfgrimdark. Turn-based is a turn-off. This game kind of reminded me of Stalker in a way.

Give me single player, 3rd person, real time combat every time. This is on my radar for sure.

Back
Top Bottom