Inquisitor - Reviews

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here are three reviews of Inquisitor, the recently released game at GoG.
Snackbar Games 4/5:
Despite using archaic D&D-style gameplay, most of it holds up extremely well because of how well it is implemented. The only aspect of the gameplay that was frustrating was the way stamina works. As you’d expect from other action-RPGs, stamina is required for physical actions, and running out is a very bad thing. That’s not the problem, as that’s the way all games have handled it. The problem is that once it runs out, it takes forever for it to regenerate unless you have potions to use. And you can’t walk around or look through your inventory or journal while it refills, because moving or opening a menu stops the regeneration.
GripYaJoystick 4.5/5:
Inquisitor’s game play is really where it feels like Diablo 2. You pick from 3 different classes (yes I know there are more then that in Diablo 2): a paladin, a priest, and a thief. All 3 can learn spells but the priest will learn more knowledgeable spells. Paladins learn better melee combat, and thief’s are better at ranged combat. Your inventory is slotted where weapons and armor could take up between 3 to 8 squares. Potions and scrolls take up a square a piece. Unlike Diablo 2 you get 5 pages for your inventory. You can recruit members to your party to help you fight, and I will tell you this is a game where you want a party. The game is pretty difficult on medium, I’ve died probably over 30 times. Enemies swarm you from about every direction.
Gameranx:
And so we come to the ultimate question: should you buy this game? 14.99 is a wonderful price for a product with so much content. It's atmospheric, unique, mature, and also a little hard to recommend without some caveats. Inquisitor is an investment, both in terms of time and sometimes patience. But if you want a deep role-playing game that absolutely does not hold your hand, that's gritty and dark and full of believable but lengthy lore, then Inquisitor may be the RPG you've been waiting for.
More information.

Last edited:
"...archaic D&D-style gameplay..." is just a stupid comment.

Nevertheless, my resolve is eroding and I may very well buy this game despite it being overshadowed with BGEE. Or will it be the other way around? I'm currently playing the FF VII rerelease and don't want that to get tossed aside either.

Archaic D&D style....lol. Replace "archaic" with "time proven and effective", that's more accurate. If I hadn't already bought the game, THAT comment alone would have had me whipping out my wallet.

-Carn

Game is okay, I'm too busy to give it the time it deserves, but aside from the combat (kinda weak) it seemed solid. Tons of reading for those that enjoy that.

I have it and overall it's a cool game. The major issue I have with it is the text dialogue. It keeps scrolling down as you ask questions and I find it a bit of a chore to follow it. Besides that, it's a fun game. It's also a massive game which will give you your money's worth of adventuring.

Looks like an almost exact graphical port of Sacred...which means I must buy it lol ;)

But really, I wonder if Ascaron leased the code/editor, as it really looks that similar.

Thx for the heads up!

OT: FF VII re-release

Off topic, but.. how is it? It looks pretty much identicle to the original release to me.

It is the original PC version tweaked so it can run on modern systems. The resolution is the same from the original, but the area it takes on the screen is like in a box, so it isn't playing full screen if this makes sense. A criticism of the re-release has been that Square/EA whomever didn't improve the graphics or music. However, IIRC Square never claimed they were going to improve those, only that they were making it playable on modern systems. Square has added achievements, which are inconsequential and add nothing to the game, really. Also, your saves are all in the Cloud (no pun intended). There is an online profile for the player, too. Again, all this crap is lost on me, I just want to play the game and haven't been able to through the original copy I still have using mods and fan patches. Eidos notoriously supported the PC version very poorly way back when. Stupid Eidos.

I played through most of the original way back when I had an Nvidia TNT card and something happened such that I couldn't finish it. This plays just like the original. So if you are looking for a version with updated graphics and sound (I personally love the MIDI music and making it symphonic imo would only have cheapened it), this will disappoint. I still like the "hand-painted" backgrounds, but with modern monitors they are very pixelated and not as nice as before.

Now, there have been some barriers/sources of irritation: After I registered with Square to download it my account was mysteriously deactivated. After changing the password at least once this continues to happen, and yes, I am using the correct one. Luckily to play you don't have to log in. However, I think to view your online profile (another 'enhancement') you must log in.

Also, there's a problem with USB keyboards and game controllers not functioning properly. I resolved my keyboard woes by making sure Num Lock is off before starting the game. That solved my problem. However, I'm not convinced all the buttons on my controller are recognized in game. Admittedly I'm a noob when it comes to using game controllers and configuring them in Windows, but playing this game with a keyboard is painful. There have been a litany of complaints on the Square/EA support forum and unfortunately no action as of yet.

There are mods that enhance the music and graphics for the retail original version, I'm not sure if they will work.

Bottom line, if you don't mind a direct port from the original you can't go wrong for $10. I'm enjoying it so far.

Back
Top Bottom