Grimoire - Another Update to Whet Your Appetite

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
Cleve has posted a further update now that he has completed 94% of his walkthru. However, his thoughts on including level scaling might be a cause for concern. Here's the entire update:
Almost done. Lots of bugs found near the end, but none of them so serious they can’t be fixed.
For some reason, every time a Naga Shaman fired an arrow with critical hit skill engaged it was crashing out to a Windows exception. That was fairly unexpected. The rest of the glitches were minor things, mostly involving small empty bits of data. As mentioned before, many game balance issues to still be adjusted. Leveling up is highly irregular and will need some work to adjust correctly.
First complete walkthrough of entire game ever, actually … in 15 years. This is the first time I’ve walked it end-to-end without hacks and cheat codes.
I think I’m going to have to introduce scaling. I didn’t think I needed it but I am convinced it will be a big step in the right direction. Not very hard to implement at all.
The Entity (Golden Baby) is fun. He does crazy stuff throughout the game to throw you a wild card when you need it.
Lord Ahriman has transitioned from grim supervillain over the past fifteen years to sort of pathetic comic relief in current game. Somewhere between Dark Helmet and Dr. Evil in the final product. Basically has rage attacks every time we meet him over what we have been doing in game. The encounter logic needs a little work but he was doing something different every time I met him in the walkthrough.

More information.

I named my Drakensang characters after Cleve. His name is Cleve of Blakemore and he's a charlatan, naturally :D Lots of fast talk skills but zero human nature. His spells are all illusions, just like Cleve's game. It's funny; my charlatan couldn't complete the game either.

I find it umm... interesting... that Cleve includes a very specific example of a bug he finds in every update. A bit too specific, which makes me have further doubts. I guess I'm even more cynical after all these years.

At this point even if it does happen I've gotten to a point where I don't enjoy old-school games like Wizardry 7 any more. It's too bad this wasn't released when it was first talked about being released (umpteen years ago) because then it might have had a decent audience but by now even if it is released (a huge if, of course) in my view it wouldn't make a splash.

Adding level scaling after 15 years of development? Sure, it's just one of the finishing touches.

Adding level scaling after 15 years of development? Sure, it's just one of the finishing touches.

Surely. Of course, after another walthrough following epsilon-testing, he will need to work on making it compatible with Windows 10.

I think AoD is this decade's Grimoire. The game has a much bigger audience, but Vince seems to have Cleve's disease of "it's never good enough for release". He's also always adding things in to push the release date back. When did we first hear about AoD? It seems it was 6 or 7 years ago.

15 years in development? Wow. Never heard of this game.

I think AoD is this decade's Grimoire. The game has a much bigger audience, but Vince seems to have Cleve's disease of "it's never good enough for release". He's also always adding things in to push the release date back. When did we first hear about AoD? It seems it was 6 or 7 years ago.

It won't be. First, VD started talking about it about 6 years ago, and didn't go into development until some time later. Then it was done part time by 4 people with no prior experience in game making, so 5 years for making a game is not unreasonable.

We will be releasing a full demo this year (the first town with all the quests and complete combat system), with a release of the game at a later date.

It kinda makes this site look like a bit of a joke to having news posts about Grimoire that are actually serious and intended to be taken at face value.

Seriously.

It kinda makes this site look like a bit of a joke to having news posts about Grimoire that are actually serious and intended to be taken at face value.Seriously.

I disagree. This site provides a lot of news bits about indie game developers. Some games come to fruition, some don't. In either case, it's interesting to read about them. Grimoire is a bit of a 'special' case, but it's an indie effort nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom