Lord of the Rings Online - Impressions @ GameSpy

Inauro

Watcher
Several members of the GameSpy team share their impressions of Lord of the Rings Online. This from Allen Rausch, Associate PC Editor.
I'm really enjoying this game. I think the thing that bugs me most during my entire time playing it is the ignorant comments I hear that "It's nothing but World of Warcraft with Hobbits. I bow to no one in my love for WoW and I certainly understand where that's coming from. Much of the gameplay and interface does feel like it was er--"inspired" by that game. I don't see that as such a big deal, though. The MMO mechanics work and work well -- they have since EverQuest pioneered them years ago. I think what Turbine has done polished them up and thrown in their own unique twists to make it their own. The first time I realized that I was actually having fun grinding monsters (thanks to things like the Deed and Trait system) I realized that Turbine has created something pretty special here.
More information.

If you ever wondered why the mmorpg genre is not developing then have a look at the gamespy article (which is of course absolutely unbiased - nope, I'm sure that fileplanet hosting the exclusive beta files has absolutely nothing to do with such a positive view on things). People are praising games for offering absolutely nothing new. Innovation just doesn't count. You make a 1:1 copy from something and people are telling you that you did an excellent job - why the hell should I come up with something new?

It makes me sick... honestly

I've heard about WoW killers since the day after WoW got released. It hasn't happened yet. I am interested in Age of Conan at the moment, because the combat is very different, but untill we get a more interactive MMO that offers something other than click-on-skill combat, I see no reason to start playing a new subscription based game.

Can't blame LOTRO for being so similar to WoW though, the recipe is certainly a winning one, but I get a "diablo clone" feeling - Blizzard sets a standard, and everyone wants in on it. Understandable, but the games very often end up as shadows of Blizzards' giants.

Back
Top Bottom