General News - Top 50 PC RPGs

As far as I'm aware, each time they update the list they write the name of all 50 current games on a piece of paper and put them in a hat.

They then write the names of all the new games they've been playing recently on a piece of paper and put them in a second hat.

Someone then decides how many new games they want to put on the list, a figure arrived at from years of experience about what is the perfect number to generate the exact right amount of controversy.

They then randomly select this exact number of games from the new games hat. The rest are discarded. These selected winners are then put next to the old games hat.

The same select number of games are then picked out randomly from the old games hat and are discarded. The winners from the new games hat are then added to the hat of old games.

This hat of random games is then given to a junior member of staff as a means of initiation as they then have to write words that somehow correlate to the results, to the wonderous amusement of the old-timers at the site.

I think you are on to something here. They also must have a hat for old games that made former lists but weren’t drawn for the current list since some of their “new entries” have been out for 5-10 years. Last year the Witcher 2 wasn’t that good, but now it’s #40.

Too old.

I guess I am too old if I see top RPGs and don’t see a Wizardry, Bards Tale or Might and Magic game listed in the top 50. Yes, they haven’t aged well with their graphics, but boy did I sink some hours into them. At least one Ultima is there.

I didn't study the list that much. Am I wrong? No Kingmaker, no Underrail, and no Wasteland 2? I can maybe overlook the fact that classics like Might and Magic 6 and Fallout 2 aren't on it. But some of the newer crap they put on the list and leave out the three games I mentioned.

If Darkest Dungeon is a crpg so is Civilization. If Darkest Dungeon made the list then Battle Brothers should be on the list also.

Wow, no Gothic (one of my top RPGs of all time... right now... and still playable).

And it wasn't even on their prior list.

Oh well, I say pushaw to those at rock, paper, scissor . . . oh did I misspell their name?. . . . huhh

My groundbreaking game from 4 decades ago which every game today is a clone of is not on this list. So they are idiots and that makes this list meaningless.

That is all

As far as I'm aware, each time they update the list they write the name of all 50 current games on a piece of paper and put them in a hat.

They then write the names of all the new games they've been playing recently on a piece of paper and put them in a second hat.

Someone then decides how many new games they want to put on the list, a figure arrived at from years of experience about what is the perfect number to generate the exact right amount of controversy.

They then randomly select this exact number of games from the new games hat. The rest are discarded. These selected winners are then put next to the old games hat.

The same select number of games are then picked out randomly from the old games hat and are discarded. The winners from the new games hat are then added to the hat of old games.

This hat of random games is then given to a junior member of staff as a means of initiation as they then have to write words that somehow correlate to the results, to the wonderous amusement of the old-timers at the site.

holy cow

holy-cow.jpg

I guess I am too old if I see top RPGs and don’t see a Wizardry, Bards Tale or Might and Magic game listed in the top 50. Yes, they haven’t aged well with their graphics, but boy did I sink some hours into them. At least one Ultima is there.

I played Wizardry 8 for the first time just a couple of years ago and certainly think it deserves to be on the list. The earlier ones and MM's I will admit might be hard to stomach by todays standards.

I didn't study the list that much. Am I wrong? No Kingmaker, no Underrail, and no Wasteland 2? I can maybe overlook the fact that classics like Might and Magic 6 and Fallout 2 aren't on it. But some of the newer crap they put on the list and leave out the three games I mentioned.

If Darkest Dungeon is a crpg so is Civilization. If Darkest Dungeon made the list then Battle Brothers should be on the list also.

Agreed, except for Wasteland 2. And if Kenshi is on the list, which I think it deserves to be, then Crusader Kings 2 should be on it, too.

Back
Top Bottom