Fantasy Wars - Review @ CVG

magerette

Hedgewitch
Fantasy Wars, the fantasy strategy game from Ascaron and Ino-Co we covered for RPG overtones, gets a short, blistering review at ComputerandVideogames.com, who call it 'farcical' and give it a 3.5/10:
I would tell you the whole story, but there's no point - it's exactly the plot you'd imagine from a game called Fantasy Wars: some man wants to save the kingdom, there's a council that thinks he's reckless, and somewhere in the middle he has to kill a load of orcs or goblins. Mix in some magical weaponry and whoop-dee-doo, it's Fantasy Wars.
The turn-based action is a mixture of crippling boredom, mild frustration and a mild sensation of imminent doom - based on a huge, hexagonal board-game style map with gigantic pawns that you control scattered across it...
There is a chance, no matter how slim, that you may have seen this game and imagined a world where you owned it. Now, right now, you must unimagine this world, and create a new one in which Fantasy Wars does not exist.
More information.

Last edited:
I prefer to imagine a world where this reviewer doesn't exist.

If he doesnt like turn based games he shouldnt review them. For instance I dont review sports games. I would give 1/10 for each of them because the action in those games is utterly boring and confusing.

"From Ascaron" ? Don´t we usually mention the developer ? ;)

Yes, sorry--the dev is Ino-Co. Homepage looks to be in Russian to my uneducated eye.

I also thought the review was a bit harsh, not to mention miscalling it "a generic and equally terrible fantasy RTS"...being as how at least the demo I played was turn based...;)

Last edited:
I give that review a verdict: Farcical.
A review that harsh should be reserved for releasing a blatantly buggy game months early. Fantasy Wars is polished, is not RTS and is based on Fantasy General. The world is definitely better with excellent hex games like these.

Back
Top Bottom