Red Dead Redemption 2 - Gameplay Trailer

I can't understand where these come from. The other day someone declared jaguar being x86 and then didn't provide PC with that garbage used as CPU inside it.

Consoles in order to remain as cheap as possible, use some at least decade old technology inside them (example I always use: SATA2).

If you don't like the PC-Xbox comparison, take it up with ExtremeTech,

"Let’s get one thing straight: The Xbox One (including the One X and One S) is a PC in everything but name. It runs a modified version of Windows 10 on commodity x86 hardware using a GPU developed for the mainstream graphics market."

My XBox One X is actually pretty impressive (and that's coming from a PC gamer)…
Eight x86 Cores @2.3GHz, 12GB GDDR5 @326GB/s, and a 6TF AMD GPU @1.17GHz capable of 4K HDR @60fps; That's on par with a mid-range gaming PC. Oh, the XB1X does has SATA III. It also has 4K Blu-ray… Does your PC?

With K&M coming soon, I suspect we'll see more PC games ported to XB1 because developers are always talking about how easy it is. For example, Path of Exile developer said it only took one hour to get the game running on the XB1X…

"As a relatively small PC developer, it’s a lot easier to port a game to Xbox than PS4. This is because the APIs and tools for PC and Xbox One are the same. In fact, porting the game to Xbox had a really positive effect on our PC version as all the optimisations we made for Xbox work on PC just as well!"

Well if they do provide official support then i suspect they would allow vendors to include 'drivers' for special mouse/keyboards on the ms store as a free download.

MS is partnering with Razer for an officially licensed K&M, but any USB keyboard and mouse will be supported that doesn't require special drivers. Fancy mice (excluding Razer's) would likely be limited to basic functionality.

Don't be surprised if certain games such as COD restrict K&M users to their own lobby or handicap them in some way, less XP for example, but that's up to game developers.

One of them (ps4 or xbox one) use custom silicon from amd. The net result is a pc but the gpu/cpu have tighter integration (sort of like that gpu amd is making for intel but a bit tighter). Also I vaguely remembering one of them sharing gdr5 memory with cpu/gpu rather than having two different banks of memory but perhaps my memory has failed in that case; either way i don't remember which of the two it was in usage. THere was never any doubt that the xbox hardware support keyboard/mouse but i have no clue what the driver did - do you have a date when ms will official allow the kb/m?
-
If most games would support kb/ms on xbox AND ms would provide an ssd solution (or allow one); I would probably just go with an xbox next time my pc needs an upgrade; then again maybe not games are a lot cheaper most of the time on the pc.

"Let’s get one thing straight: The Xbox One (including the One X and One S) is a PC in everything but name. It runs a modified version of Windows 10 on commodity x86 hardware using a GPU developed for the mainstream graphics market."

My XBox One X is actually pretty impressive (and that's coming from a PC gamer)…
Eight x86 Cores @2.3GHz, 12GB GDDR5 @326GB/s, and a 6TF AMD GPU @1.17GHz capable of 4K HDR @60fps; That's on par with a mid-range gaming PC. Oh, the XB1X does has SATA III. It also has 4K Blu-ray… Does your PC?

With K&M coming soon, I suspect we'll see more PC games ported to XB1 because developers are always talking about how easy it is. For example, Path of Exile developer said it only took one hour to get the game running on the XB1X…

"As a relatively small PC developer, it’s a lot easier to port a game to Xbox than PS4. This is because the APIs and tools for PC and Xbox One are the same. In fact, porting the game to Xbox had a really positive effect on our PC version as all the optimisations we made for Xbox work on PC just as well!"

Since the XB1 is really just a Win10 PC, it'll be easier to implement so it should have a higher adoption rate than on the PS4. I expect we'll see traditional PC franchises make the move to XB1, especially TBS/RTS such as the upcoming Civ7 and Age of Empires IV since they could double or triple sales with a simple recompile.

I don’t have any idea what it takes to add k&m support so I could be totally off base but I assume it’s not that simple considering the number of ports with poor k&m support.

Im all for k&m support on consoles though if for no other reason than it should lead to better support for games ported to pc.

Good thing we have chien to keep us up to date on the streaming community we’re all so interested in.;)

All your base are belong to us!!!

… do you have a date when ms will official allow the kb/m?

If most games would support kb/ms on xbox AND ms would provide an ssd solution (or allow one); I would probably just go with an xbox next time my pc needs an upgrade; then again maybe not games are a lot cheaper most of the time on the pc.

K&M support is supposedly coming this fall.

I'm using an external SSD now. It cuts my load times by 20-50% and lessens pop-in for games with streaming textures like GTAV.

PC games aren't less expensive. Console games often have preorder deals and you can trade them for store credit. For example, I recently got $25 trade-in credit @BB for FarCry5. Considering that I preordered it for only $48 w/free release-day shipping and it had a bonus $10 preorder reward, excluding tax it only cost me $13 to play! It's still $59.99 on Steam.

K&M support is supposedly coming this fall.

I'm using an external SSD now. It cuts my load times by 20-50% and lessens pop-in for games with streaming textures like GTAV.

PC games aren't less expensive. Console games often have preorder deals and you can trade them for store credit. For example, I recently got $25 trade-in credit @BB for FarCry5. Considering that I preordered it for only $48 w/free release-day shipping and it had a bonus $10 preorder reward, excluding tax it only cost me $13 to play! It's still $59.99 on Steam.

As someone that games on console and pc, I’d say pc games are still cheaper as a whole but console has made great strides and are catching up.

K&M support is nothing new but it was never wildly supported on consoles throughout years. I remember using a K&M on a PS2 but not many games supported it.

K&M support is nothing new but it was never wildly supported on consoles throughout years. I remember using a K&M on a PS2 but not many games supported it.

It had a keyboard but it pretty much could only be used to enter text.

Thanks to warn me never to visit that site. Because, not from paid to advertise but from developers:
https://gamingbolt.com/id-software-...kan-claims-xbox-one-dx12-is-different-than-pc
id Software Dev Puzzled By Devs Choosing DX12 Over Vulkan, Claims Xbox One DX12 Is Different Than PC
‘Don’t buy all Microsoft propaganda.’

--------------------------------------------------------------------

On par with a phone it is. I mean 2.3Ghz CPU? LOL
4K@60FPS, hahahahauhahahaaa yea tetris could.

No my PC does not have bluray device. In fact it has no optical device at all - I plug in an external USB dvd drive when necessary (read: once in a year and sometimes rarer than that).

Xbox One S does include some sata3 storage inside, however:
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/67ctsw/xbox_one_s_has_a_sata_iii_drive_which_has_a_max/
Just because the drive supports sata 3 doesn't mean that the Xbox One S supports sata 3 speeds. Just like the original Xbox One, it only supports up to sata 2 speeds on the internal header, so external usb 3 is still faster. Also USB is 5gb/s which isn't significantly slower than the 6gb/s of sata 3.
I have no idea what XboneX is, what is has. nor honestly, care. All I see is mushrooms.

On par with a phone it is. I mean 2.3Ghz CPU? LOL
4K@60FPS, hahahahauhahahaaa yea tetris could.

Yeah, you're probably right… The XB1X can probably barely handle Tetris @4K/60fps.
Along with a few others with slightly more detail, like The Witcher 3.

The Witcher 3 with crowded streets and hairworks on... Sure.
IIRC that crap called Jaguar cannot run that even on 30FPS at any resolution.

The Witcher 3 with crowded streets and hairworks on… Sure.
IIRC that crap called Jaguar cannot run that even on 30FPS at any resolution.

I used to be a PC-gaming bigot too, but consoles have come a loooong way. They still can't match a high-end PC, but they are damned close. Soon they will have real keyboard and mouse support, making it harder to justify the cost of a high-end gaming PC. There are obvious trade-offs; most 4K games on my XB1X are locked to 30fps, but some are 60fps (e.g. COD:WW2, DOOM, Forza 7, Path of Exile) and some like The Witcher 3 have choice of 30fps quality or 60fps performance modes.

The only justification I need is the price of games. After a year i already gained back the extra cost of a PC.

Edit, but reading the discussion above I agree consoles have come a long way. I would say this is because they are slowly converging to the same architecture of pcs

Last edited:
I used to be a PC-gaming bigot too, but consoles have come a loooong way. They still can't match a high-end PC, but they are damned close. Soon they will have real keyboard and mouse support, making it harder to justify the cost of a high-end gaming PC.

How about being able to use mods?

I used to be a PC-gaming bigot too, but consoles have come a loooong way. They still can't match a high-end PC, but they are damned close.
I think of my rig as mid-end PC (i5, 8Gb RAM, GTX1070). High end PC would IMO be i9 with 32 Gb RAM and a pair of 1080ti inside but who needs such expensive bullshit for gaming?
And no existing console can match my pisspoor (outdated?) config. I believe not even the upcoming chinese console with actual Ryzen CPU instead of pathetic Jaguar inside can match it.
How about being able to use mods?
And running good old games. And running bad new android games on emulators.

I think of my rig as mid-end PC (i5, 8Gb RAM, GTX1070). … And no existing console can match my pisspoor (outdated?) config.

Well, my system is a little more powerful than yours (i7-980x EE, 12GB, GTX1080SC/8GB, Samsung 840Pro SSD), and my XB1X gives my PC a real run for the money at 4K… believe it or not.

BTW, I'm not suggesting replacing a PC with a console. I use both connected to my 4K desktop monitor. That way I don't miss out on the latest games, like the upcoming Red Dead Redemption 2 which may not be on PC at all.

By the time rdr2 is here i will emulate it. No you are right, I'm jealous as I would like to have played some console exclusives too like the last of us, but I don't rdr2 will be an exclusive.

Regarding 4k, it's possible that consoles can achieve a higher fill rate thanks to a slightly optimized architecture and software (have to look into that), or maybe devs put in a couple of tricks to achieve it. Like having half the resolution vertically and upscale it.

In fact I think I saw a video of digitalfoundry discussing exactly this on rdr2

Edit, think it was this one

Back
Top Bottom