Drakensang - First Impressions @ RPS

Dhruin

SasqWatch
With the late UK release of Drakensang, the crew at Rock, Paper, Shotgun have only just been able to sample the early levels of the game:
Yes, it’s a fantasy role-playing game. Which everyone knows, means push-up bras. Drakensang is comfortable with its existence as a FRPG. It never tries to be anything else.
But no, it’s not going to be one of those slightly-strained “Oh, God, this is so immature/sexist/whatever” sort of pieces of eye-rolling. It’s just making clear everyone understands that this isn’t a progressive smart forward-looking RPG. This is an RPG which embraces the conventions of the genre with every part of its body and soul. Its read the Dragonlance books. It cried when Flint died. It cares deeply about that Spoiler. In the five hours I’ve played, I’ve faced death itself in the form of giant rats. Repeatedly. I’ve taken a break from pursuing escaping assassins through a maze to break open every barrel I pass to collect individual pints of beer and even skin some rats. I’ve been in four taverns.
Is this a problem for you? Drakensang totally isn’t for you.
Me? I’m a big ol’ geek. I enjoyed it a lot.
More information.

Just want to say I totally agree with that short summary. I haven't gotten very far in the game but I'm having a lot more fun than I anticipated. It just feels so nice and classic... ah, the good old days... before games started feeling like they had to go for "gritty and realistic" by removing 70% of the color and covering everything in a coating of rust, grime, and randomly splattered blood...

before games started feeling like they had to go for "gritty and realistic" by removing 70% of the color

Yes, you can perhaps imagine how shocked I was as I saw exactly this with the second Star Wars Battlefront game ! Wasted money, I thought. And still think.
I think they even tried to remove 80-90 % of all colours.

All those Dragon Age Origins previews come to mind here. I'm not into this "dark and brooding" mood.

Yes, I think that's a distinction.

"Dark & gritty" there, colourful on the other side.

And I also think that the first one is kind of a fashion in gaming nowadays - perhaps even in whole art.

Tried the demo. Could not find a way to control vertical camera movement. The control scheme has multiple personality disorder; it can't decide whether its an RTS (or Baldur's Gate scheme) or FPS and does neither well. Till I can find a way to control vertical camera movement, I deem the game unplayable.

Must be hard to find the right mouse button. ;)

before games started feeling like they had to go for "gritty and realistic" by removing 70% of the color and covering everything in a coating of rust, grime, and randomly splattered blood...
Contrast to Diablo III, where fans have been bitterly resentful of a brighter, more colorful look.

Yes there's something wrong about it, how people are supposed to find that? Read the manual? Nobody does anyway. What's missing is in the controls setup something that shows possibilities by allowing custom setup for any control.

Another point would have been to include a panel with a summary of the commands.

About the scroll lock mode, beside to be a toggle mode not requiring a constant pressing, it should also hide the cursor, it's so weird to have it in this mode. Some good reason to have it in controls panel setup.

Contrast to Diablo III, where fans have been bitterly resentful of a brighter, more colorful look.
Fan get crazy when anything change so why bother?

Clearly the two approach are valid and the best would perhaps to have a mix in a same game but also that not all game do the same by copy them each other.

Don't be snippy. This is a demo without a manual.

The usual assumptions are camera control by mouselook (FPS) or moving the cursor to the edge of the screen (RTS). I've only encountered "hold RMB to change camera" once in Pirates of the Caribbean and been nonplussed by it. Mouselook is a generally accepted standard and the developers should have taken that into account.

Don't be yourself.

Everyone should at leasy try to do something with the right mouse button !

Nowadays almost every game implements something for the right mouse button !

Also, on a windows-based operating system, one should expect right-mouse-button behaviour, too ...

I thought that MS had long, long ago tried to make us learn: Right mouse button is for any context menu ... No surprise for me that there are some more uses for it ...

I assume the same kind of players would cry out if SWBFIII got a more colourful look, too.

It's like getting people accustomed to something and then cater them ...

I Generally enjoyed the game - except the last mountain slugfest. But the camera was really poor - it would get stuck in cramped quarters, and make certain tactical views impossible. It reminded me of the NWN camera...how I hated that! Oddly enough other games never struggle with over the shoulder views, making things suitably translucent, and allowing the camera to move where it will. I hope they address this in the next installment.

WOW there is a demo I didn't know that, I will definetely be downloading it!

Finally decided, meh. Mouse button silliness aside (In my defense I'd clicked it a few times, didn't see anything happen, and went on), it's perfunctory. Lots of good elements are there, but nothing that really draws them together and makes them sing. Character animations are over-the-top. I turned down the volume on voice acting. Visual quality is good. World interactivity is limited. It's always 4pm, apparently. The RPG system is a solid one (never played Dark Eye).

Anyone know when the rest of europe, particular Denmark, will see this game?

I was down at my local EBGames store today, and he had never heard of it and it wasen't listed on his computer as a game they would get soon, so he was talking about a minimum a month if ever. :-/

Just a question, why couldn't you just buy it from the online download places? Even if they restrict by IP address, can't you use a proxy or something?

The usual assumptions are camera control by mouselook (FPS) or moving the cursor to the edge of the screen (RTS). I've only encountered "hold RMB to change camera" once in Pirates of the Caribbean and been nonplussed by it. Mouselook is a generally accepted standard and the developers should have taken that into account.
Sorry, I thought I remembered that the RMB was either mentioned in the first seconds in the game world or listed in the options. Seems I didn't remember it correctly.

And now calm down, everybody. It's not important enough to start a brawl over it.

Back
Top Bottom