XBOX one: the last nail to the coffin

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch
I am watching the presentation of the next XBOX called XBOX one.

You must concede: PC gaming is dead.

The other day I compared platforms on mobygames. At this time the most popular console ever made was Playstation 2 with about 2300 games.

At this time, PC have 20000 games of which about 5500 were made for DOS, a thousand for Win3x and the rest for Windows 95 and forth. Steam, that were introduced about 10 years ago and three years after PS1, have almost 2000 games, most of which have been released recently.

Consoles are entertainment machines. They need to be bought, used as they are with the content presented and that's usually little more than "entertainment". A PC is an evolutionary workstation. Its like a refrigerator or dishwasher that can also play games. Mobile phones are used for communication and tablets/pads are used for the web when outdoors. PC's, mobiles and pads are for students, for people in a job, for what we do in everyday lives. There will always be games for them, while entertainment-products come and go.

ChienAboyeur said:

On the contrary, I think even Xbox fanboys are expressing disappointment, especially at the idea that the used games market will effectively be killed off. A lot of the console crowd seem to be leaning towards the PS4.

Anyway, both consoles are just OK-ish PCs. They are already largely outclassed and will be way behind in 2-3 years time.

I can definitely see an XBOX One in my families future - eliminate our old Roku, bring us into the BluRay generation, and integrate many other streaming services such as Netflix and Hulu Plus.

The gaming side is what you would expect - XBOX++, just like X360 was XBOX+. Aside from Kinect, we are looking at the same basic gaming experiences we have for 12 years on XBOX. Shooters and sports and action games, loads of sequels.

But it doesn't 'kill PC gaming' any more than anything else ever has.

Too many exclusives to tell that. High class developpers will less and less bother to developp for PCs.

As to being outclassed, did you watch the show?

It looks like back to the times when you had to buy a new PC rig every six months to keep up the pace.

Too many exclusives to tell that. High class developpers will less and less bother to developp for PCs.

It looks like back to the times when you had to buy a new PC rig every six months to keep up the pace.

I remember that era. It was sometime before youtube. Oh my, have the years gone by.

ChienAboyeur said:

The x86 architecture of both XBO and PS4 mean that ports to PC will be much easier. Why will they intentionally deprive themselves of sales when the costs of porting are smaller? Answer - they won't.

Outclassed - yes. The specifications are much better than the current generation of consoles and decent in some areas, less impressive in others. My current PC is a couple of years old but has better specs than either machine.

I heard that before ... in 2001 ... and again in 2005.

And guess what - PC gaming is where INNOVATION is happening. Consoles - XBOX in particular - are just churning out eye-candy sequels that cost too much and deliver the same game year after year.

I've had a PC in some form since '83, and I never see a time where I will not own one. I've owned a console system for 3 yrs, 2.999999 of which that, when it is actually on, it's only as a DVD player. I prefer a system that can grow, not one that limits or defines me. If the pc ever even seems on the verge of being obsolete, I stand by ready to perform cpr.....but I don't think it will ever happen. Ever.

-Carn

I find that hard to belive as all three are basically the same this generation. There will be no excuse this generation not to release on all systems.

Also here a snip from another website to back this up.
While the chips used in the PS4 and in Xbox One are different custom processors made by AMD, they still have the same underlying architecture. Users won't be able to play their Xbox games from their desktop computers, but the developers can create games for the different platforms more quickly.

"They'll get the games out faster because they'll be able to use a common tool set, which they probably already have," said Jon Peddie, a semiconductor analyst. "There's no additional tool set costs, no special training they have to go through. This is just a real accelerator of time to market for them. The net result is we'll get more games and better games."
But it doesn't 'kill PC gaming' any more than anything else ever has.

It's good to see someone else say this. This is all I hear on tech sites. One thing to say about gaming is there are more options available now. It doesn't mean the death of anything.

Last edited:
If I can't trade games with friends or buy used games off craigslist then I won't be getting this. I prefer consoles to PC nowadays but that is non-negotiable for me.

If I can't trade games with friends or buy used games off craigslist then I won't be getting this. I prefer consoles to PC nowadays but that is non-negotiable for me.

Well you can but you have to pay to play used games. Its online FAQ says Microsoft is “designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games,” which is certainly promising.

Ultimately this is just another decision bad for consumers, but good from a business perspective.

Congratulations, you've just saved ca. 400 bucks.

Not sure how next gen consoles will be able to kill pc gaming, I just read somewhere the other day that tablets and mobile phone gaming will be the end of consoles.

I have a feeling though that everything will continue to co exists just as it has for many years now.

I prefer paying $15 or less for a great game on Steam or Kickstarter than $60 for a console game… specially like the variety, all console games I've seen or played fall into pretty much 3 or 4 categories (Sports, Shooters, 3rd person action, jump around and wave your arms kinetic games). Much more variety on PC. I also like the price of online gaming on the PC (possible PS4 too)… free.

Last edited:
When were we ever supposed to be upgrading every 6 months? I've been buying every 3 or 4 years since my Atari 800XL.

As for exclusives, I note that one of them is from the makers of Alan Wake, which was also an exclusive. For a time. "Exclusive" doesn't mean what it once did, thank goodness.

Tom's Hardware has an interesting article that has me extremely confused. Those features look very much like a client/server aka thin client aka cloud based system, along the lines of OnLive. Except you don't always have to be online. You can actually go offline for some time (one interview said 24 hours) and still play. There's no way a thin client goes offline and does anything other than try to get back online again.

So what is really going on in this system? A fat client AND a fat server exchanging data when possible? Maybe it plays off the cloud when that's available and switches to just the box if the connection drops or the cloud gets overloaded??

The Microsoft Pages have more thin client sounding stuff. "Best of all, your games
and profile are stored in the cloud, so every Xbox One console behaves like your very own."

Last edited:
When reading PC gaming is dead, several manners to interpret: you can put that in the right context of the incoming console next gen games. You can dismiss the console next gen games is arriving and see that games will always be made on PCs.

I am fully aware PCs will always have games so…

A two world divide is looming ahead, worlds moving at different speeds.
The console world with developpers working hard to push an architecture to its maximum. Always new things to be tried, with developpers looking ahead instead of looking back, developpers excited by the new possibilities given by their toys.

The PC world, with less and less gaming strongholds that developpers would use to deliver games of their own mind.

They will always be games made on PCs:
-student class projects type.
-same old, same old, tried and tested game design type
-clumsy port type (if you watched the world premiere, you know that games are going to be even more designed to include the console new specificities with the consequences on UI, gameplay)
-graphically updated versions of old games (graphics whorism)

Console gaming: the first world of gaming, with all it means. Games designed for console players.
PC gaming: the third world of gaming.

And guess what - PC gaming is where INNOVATION is happening.

Serious? You know, the PC gaming world is that world where a huge reactionary movement is happening, leading players not only to stick to the unpractical to computers turn based sequence "IGOUGO" but also to reject any other form of turn based sequences as turn based sequences. If a game does not include the "IGOUGO" turn sequence, it is not turn based.

At the moment, you'll have a hard time giving a few names of innovative games coming from the PC scene. It will get even harder in the future.

After I watched the presentation yesterday, I have zero interest in X-Box One. None at all. I have serious doubts all the bells and whistles of the TV channel searching, integration and all of that will work as advertised outside USA. In fact I doubt it'll work at all with widely different European TV channels and broadcasting companies, for example. Same goes for those voice commands, they will probably be reliable only in English (possibly only available in English). Motion controls will be hell with kids around, I fear. Exclusive deals with US sports channels, with NFL - eh, so what?! None of that will apply outside the USA, I presume. Etc. There was precious little on games and playing games on that presentation and a whole lot of "tomorrow's entertainment center" hoopla. All in all, not impressed and not interested.

Also, it looks very much like the XBO will require to be connected to the internet all the time, at least to take advantage of all those cloud services and whatnot. It is designed to be connected all the time at the very least. So, anybody in an area with less than stellar broadband connections is pretty much out of luck. Plus, they conveniently didn't say anything if the new X-Box Live will be like the current one, where you need to pay a monthly fee if you want to use it to the fullest (gold vs silver membership). I predict they'll go with a subscription model, so all you future XBO owners, say hello to a monthly fee to use the box as advertised.

I'll take the PS4 any day over the XBO.

Serious? You know, the PC gaming world is that world where a huge reactionary movement is happening, leading players not only to stick to the unpractical to computers turn based sequence "IGOUGO" but also to reject any other form of turn based sequences as turn based sequences. If a game does not include the "IGOUGO" turn sequence, it is not turn based.

At the moment, you'll have a hard time giving a few names of innovative games coming from the PC scene. It will get even harder in the future.

Er no because of indie devs the most innovative games are coming to the pc.

In only 2010 we have this:

http://mcfunkypants.com/2010/most-original-indie-games/

Back
Top Bottom