Monster Hunter World

Actually, one of the complaints I have heard was that its much easier solo than with a party/crew due to difficulty scaling.

Also heard that it uses the same engine as Dragon's Dogma and Dead Rising which might help you predict your performance.

Can someone move this post to joxers bs of the week thread.

It’s a toss up wether you know less about games or americans.

Yea, I was like wtf reading that statement.
Had to reread it out of disbelief, it's completely wrong. Maybe it's based on some small scope of streamers. He'd sing another song if he ever played League of Legends and felt some real multiplayer game community.

"Online" doesn't mean much nowadays. A lot of games require an internet connection even for single-player. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it just because you see that word.

Is this basically a really colourful Dark Souls? Cos I'd be totally in if that's the case.

Actually, one of the complaints I have heard was that its much easier solo than with a party/crew due to difficulty scaling.

No. Difficulty does not scale with the number of involved players past one:
it remains the same as soon as two or more players are involved.

The difficulty is set on the same level for two, three or four players.

Running with a hunting party of three other players who know how to play and accept the gameplay terms is not more difficult.

It turns out way more difficult when players are unreliable and display the peculiar mindset: they do not like the game, they feel aggressed the game was not meant for them so they are going to spoil the game.
It is the same mindset exhibited when UgoIgo players go out for what is known a RT product and demand it to be UgoIgo.

Indeed, it is much more difficult to run with this kind of players than alone.
For example, lifes are pooled, a party can stack up to three deaths. Once it is reached, the hunt is over.

One player with the proper mindset, feeling the game is shit because it was not meant to match his tastes and the guy will keep dying to ruin the run.

There are other openings. That is why it might be the last MH that is true to the franchise. The devs are not that used to that kind of invasive, destructive mindset and will have to cope with it. It might end in transforming deeply the franchise.

I enjoyed playing it solo and I never had the impression that the game's focus was on playing with others, or that I was missing out on anything by not doing so.

Probably missing that it was designed to be played with other players.

Is this basically a really colourful Dark Souls? Cos I'd be totally in if that's the case.

Hmm....I'm not sure if I'd describe it like that. In some ways it's kind of it's own genre. But I could see some overlap between people who like Dark Souls and people who like Monster Hunter, especially with the epic boss fights and focus on gameplay over story. It is definitely less punishing though.

And yeah it should go without saying, but you should take what Chien says about the game being only for online multiplayer with a serious grain of salt.

Thanks fadedc. I'm playing through a load of turn based story heavy games at the minute and this sounds like it might be a nice change of pace later on this year! I'll keep an eye on it.

Why don't they do a simultaneous PC version release? Does anyone know? Just feels strange to take over a half year to do "some optimisations".

That is an excellent question, I've often wondered that myself. Could be just sheer laziness, or perhaps an attempt at double dipping later in the shelf life of the product, probably neither of those guesses are correct.

Why don't they do a simultaneous PC version release? Does anyone know? Just feels strange to take over a half year to do "some optimisations".

Probably a combination of piracy concerns and inexperience with PC platform.

They added a new expansion DLC with Iceborne. I kinda enjoy Monster Hunter World but it feels like a child's play compared to Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate. The grinding in MHGU is insane and it doesn't spoon-feed the players.

One thing I never liked about any Monster Hunter game is how long it takes to beat any Monster. You could be 10 minutes into the game and it would take you 20-30 minutes to defeat one. You could be 200 hours in and it would take you the same amount of time. For a game that gives you big upgrades for your efforts, they are fairly useless upgrades. Just different names and values for each item.

So Monster Hunter World is 50% off on Steam right now. And I've been interested in playing the game. But I don't like multiplayer games. I don't like games where my enjoyment and progress in the game depend on my interaction with someone else, or how well or poorly someone else plays the game.

So can Monster Hunter World be played as a single-player game? If hunting monsters requires a party, how does matchmaking work? Is it like an MMO where there are always other people wanting to hunt the same monster?

So Monster Hunter World is 50% off on Steam right now. And I've been interested in playing the game. But I don't like multiplayer games. I don't like games where my enjoyment and progress in the game depend on my interaction with someone else, or how well or poorly someone else plays the game.

So can Monster Hunter World be played as a single-player game? If hunting monsters requires a party, how does matchmaking work? Is it like an MMO where there are always other people wanting to hunt the same monster?
I've now played over 800 hours since launch. I think I'm qualified to answer this question!

Yes, you can play solo.

I believe the crossover content from Final Fantasy and Witcher 3 (Extreme Behemoth and Ancient Leshen) don't scale to solo, so these two limited events are best done with a group. The base event (normal Behemoth and Leshen) can be done solo. The Witcher 3 quest MUST be done solo. Only the Ancient Leshen can be done as a group. (They're only available after you've beaten the main storyline.)

Matchmaking is all done at a signpost or NPC in town. Your options are:

Start a quest
Join a quest
Join an SOS

If you start a quest you can fire an SOS flare in game which will allow other players to join your hunt.

Join a quest only joins quests made by people in your lobby; even if they don't fire an SOS.

Join an SOS gives you a list of hunts to join where the host fired an SOS flare.

(If you start in Offline mode only Start a quest will be available.)
(You can make a private online lobby)

I prefer playing games alone too but MHW is a rare exception for me - I'm actually having a lot of fun playing this my husband. That being said, it's better to stick with someone you know than some random people off the net, they tend to rush in without much tactics and get themselves killed - and usually after 3 faints (group wide), the quest counts as fail and you won't get any rewards (purely a waste of time).

The multi-player/online aspects have had a lot to do with why I've not picked up Monster Hunter as of yet. Honestly, if it were simply a full-on single player game, I would have likely already acquired it by now.

Back
Top Bottom