Elder Scrolls Online - Editorial @ ESOHUT

@ DArtagnan

I'm not talking about the Imperials. I'm talking about the Explorer's pack pre-order bonus. From the Bethesda's blog (linked in my post above):

All those who pre-order or pre-purchase either the Imperial Edition or the Standard Edition in physical or digital formats will also receive The Explorer’s Pack bonus at launch, which includes: Scuttler vanity pet, four bonus treasure maps, and the ability to play as any of the nine races in any Alliance.

@ DArtagnan

I'm not talking about the Imperials. I'm talking about the Explorer's pack pre-order bonus. From the Bethesda's blog (linked in my post above):

All those who pre-order or pre-purchase either the Imperial Edition or the Standard Edition in physical or digital formats will also receive The Explorer’s Pack bonus at launch, which includes: Scuttler vanity pet, four bonus treasure maps, and the ability to play as any of the nine races in any Alliance.

Hmm, I read that as having access to all the other nine races.

If they're seriously allowing you into the PvP campaign against your own racial faction - that's pretty stupid.

Do you have confirmation?

Not that it matters much to me, but in RP terms - that's pretty lame, I have to admit. I hope it's a mistake.

On second thought, I actually like the ability to choose my race without being faction-locked, because you could easily come up with a RP reason. But in that case, I think there should be a penalty and NPCs should dislike you.

Also, it doesn't sit well with me that this is a pre-order thing, and not something everyone can choose to do.

That said, I'm 99% sure you will be able to get that option in the store - they're just going to wait until the pre-order thing is over, so they can maximise profit that way.

But I must admit, that IS pretty lame. I didn't think they'd do it this way.

Doesn't change that I really like the game and I'll be getting it - but it does make me wonder about the integrity of the developers.

Not a good sign, frankly.

But it's likely a decision "inspired" by suits - and keeping your job is probably more important than putting your foot down.

That said, I'm 99% sure you will be able to get that option in the store - they're just going to wait until the pre-order thing is over, so they can maximise profit that way.

that's what I'm trying to say. Anything that changes the game in any way compared to other players are more than likely to be purchasable or unlockable once they have lured people into pre-ordering.
It's a wicked way of tricking people into spending more money than necessary but as we see over and over, it works.

that's what I'm trying to say. Anything that changes the game in any way compared to other players are more than likely to be purchasable or unlockable once they have lured people into pre-ordering.
It's a wicked way of tricking people into spending more money than necessary but as we see over and over, it works.

Yeah, it's certainly here to stay.

As I said, I don't have a big problem with it - as I'm going to preorder anyway, but I think it's weak in RP terms.

It makes no sense that you can pick any faction playing an enemy race, unless they implement some kind of penalty, which they're not likely to do. I mean, you could play any race in the ES singleplayer games - but you'd often get snide remarks from people who didn't appreciate your race.

Something like that would take extra voice work - and it's pretty certain they're not going to do that.

So, it's an extra cheap way to lure people.

That makes me worry about the integrity of the lore. I was looking forward to them taking it seriously - and this is a very bad sign.

I hope they release some details about how this is supposed to work that makes sense, or I have to say I'm disappointed.

Hmm, I read that as having access to all the other nine races.

If they're seriously allowing you into the PvP campaign against your own racial faction - that's pretty stupid.

Do you have confirmation?

Not that it matters much to me, but in RP terms - that's pretty lame, I have to admit. I hope it's a mistake.

On the official page here, the tooltip for the play any race in any alliance is "your character can join any alliance, no matter which race that you choose".

And yes, lame is the proper term for it. Especially when so many people requested it since faction racial lock was announced. Now they are monetizing it.

I can already see the "use any class skill lines on any character" unlock in the cash shop...

On the official page here, the tooltip for the play any race in any alliance is "your character can join any alliance, no matter which race that you choose".

And yes, lame is the proper term for it. Especially when so many people requested it since faction racial lock was announced. Now they are monetizing it.

I can already see the "use any class skill lines on any character" unlock in the cash shop…

They can monetize all they want and I expect nothing more from big corporations, but when it interferes with the lore and the integrity - I start to worry.

The developers are clearly not having as big a say as they should have - or they don't have the required integrity.

Either way, it's a reason to worry.

But I'm still going to play it.

I can already see the "use any class skill lines on any character" unlock in the cash shop…

Exactly this. This 3 faction PvP was stupid to begin with for an ESO game and only reason it was added it cos the the dev are the same people who did DAOC (where it worked great) and its there thing. When lot of people asked them to remove this faction limitation they said no and how removing it will affect the PvP. Now what? Pre purchase (i.e. pay extra) and we will remove it! This should tell us something about the people who are behind this game…

The right thing to do now is, apologies to player for not knowing how to design a game and remove this race faction limitation for all player …

No, they should keep the faction lock and remove the unlock from the preorder :)

No, they should keep the faction lock and remove the unlock from the preorder :)

Thats the right thing to do but its hard to resists $$$ signs so I don't see that happening.

Anyway this game should not have been designed for this stupid 3 faction PvP to begin with... they had to screw ES lore to do this and now they are screwing their own screw up for money!!

And this is one of the reasons I don't like MMOs. Ceaseless milking of the sheep seems
de rigueur. Whatever floats your boat. ;)

This has nothing to do with MMO. All games do this now days even single player ones...

I think I hear something. What was it. baaaaaaaa.

That's a patently false statement. Pay to unlock new superficial content is more prevalent in MMOs, and it started with MMOs. Further, I don't know of a single current MMO that doesn't have this frippery. Whereas I know MANY current SP games that don't subscribe to this bullshit. In fact the one I am playing now, Blackguards, is free of this crap.

Back
Top Bottom