Might & Magic X - Review @ GameGrin

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
GameGrin has the lateset review that I have found for Might & Magic X Legacy. The site gave the game a final score of 6/10, and finds the game difficult to recommend.

Might & Magic X Legacy is difficult to recommend. Clearly, the game has been designed as a homage to the retro RPG, and in this it succeeds entirely. However, this comes at a price, as when replicating everything enjoyable about the old-school, Limbic Entertainment have simultaneously duplicated the old flaws of those same games. With artificial difficulty spikes, lacklustre presentation, and the presence of complicated systems with no explanations offered, Might & Magic X frustrates as often as it entertains. It is the best, and worst, of an old generation.
More information.

I tend to agree. :D

The game requires some patience and a willingness to push on. It's tough, but satisfying and rewarding when you win.

I did not find the systems complicated. You get the Water Shard, you go to water room in the Elemental Forge, you get the Blessing of Shalassa. Now you can cross the water outside The Eye, and you can get to the Karthal sewers. That took me awhile to figure out and complete, but that is part of the adventure, the game. Nothing complicated about it.

I think it's great as is. I'm having a blast.

While I think it was an admirable effort, I found that it lacked the charm of the old M&M titles.

It was a decent dungeon crawler based around an entertaining class/combat system, but it didn't have much in the way of compelling story and I'm not a huge fan of randomly generated rewards for exploring the environment.

I think it's overrated around here - but it's not a bad game.

6/10 sounds about right to me - if slightly too low.

6.5/10, I think, would be my score.

That's too bad. I'm replaying M&M 6 as we speak. The series is great and fun...maybe a patch or something will come out and fix the problems. I haven't bought the game yet...too bad

Hey, it is not a bad game if you know EXACTLY what to expect.
It is a by-the-books MM5-clone, with some nice presentation.

If you happen to love MM5, chances are you'll like MMX. (I most certainly did!)
If you think MM6 is the best of the bunch (well, not me), you'll dislike it more likely (it is much too slow and methodical).

The only thing I wanted to see is the crazy geek humor of the classic MMs - MMX wants to present itself as a serious epic, while the old MMs were not afraid to create a fun, anything-goes B-movie feeling here and there (i.e. the Scorpia monster, sonic ninjas, evil robots, terminators, evil temple of Yak, the whole meta story, etc)

I really liked the game. The question is if you like this kind of game, which obviously the reviewer doesn't. He doesn't like pen and paper type role playing games.

Funny. I have recently pitched the game to a Diablo-obsessed friend, who wanted to know what this old-skool RPG feeling I'm talking about and wanted to try out something more substantial.

He disliked the game very much like the reviewer -- thus, I feel this is more of a generation problem. MMX's format is simply unacceptable for the new generation of gamers (e.g. the grid movement system seems to be the most bashed feature: they simply could not cope with this abstract concept)

So, I think the review is fair enough: like it or not, this is how the current generation thinks about our game dearest.

I recently got that M&MX email survey (20 minutes for a damn survey?!) asking questions that would very much pertain to ideas/interest for a sequel. So, I can only hope that MMXI gets made, even with the braindead reviews. And hopefully the gameplay balance and technical optimization is better in the next one.

Having played World of Xeen just recently (MM4 and 5 mashed together) I imagine I'd play this w/ glee (even got the survey, despite not owning the game). It is built for a certain audience, and that audience will understand and appreciate many of the "negative" elements others take umbrage at. Seems like most of you get what is going on. As for MM6 (I think I managed to play MM7 before giving up on the series), it's made for a different type of RPG gamer… they were trying to grab a larger market share but lost much of the charm of the series in the act.

Dteowner's review of the game with a few additional comments by me should hopefully be out next week!! We both like it.

I ran out of steam playing MMX. I enjoyed it for a while but it became a chore part of the way through act 2 and I stopped. I usually finish games but I just couldn't push through on this one. I enjoyed MM3 etc. back in the day but nowadays my attention span is shorter.

Back
Top Bottom