Gothic 3 Warrior utilizing magic

insurancegod

Watcher
Warrior Utilizing Magic: Questions and Ideas

So I am a warrior using magic. So if I can get fireball for example, does it get more powerfull the more ancient magic i get or what? Is this a good idea? Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Ancient knowledge will affect spell damage and duration iirc, and also acts as a minimum requirement for some spells/skills.

I'm not sure how useful it would be to a warrior though. I think it's better to concentrate on a certain build in Gothic 3 instead of trying to be a jack of all trades.

i agree with JDR, it's a good idea to focus on one discipline or else you risk being spread too thin for the more challenging portions of the game. It's unfortunate that you can't experiment a bit more, but most RPGs of this nature are designed this way for the sake of balance and meaningful character progression.

Well my current Hunter/Warrior/Smith/Alchemist would disagree with you :)

There are enough XP to multiclass as you see fit in G3 (I'm level 50 and not
even remotely done with Nordmar yet, much less visited Varant).

But I have to agree that you will make your life miserable if you find the early
game tough and it is strongly discouraged for a first playthrough even on normal
difficulty (I play on hard but it is my 3.5th).

Also if you generally want to multiclass, Archer is a good base (easiest class to play in
G3, just find a high spot to shoot from safety or backtrack/run away a lot).

Gonna try a Mage/Two handed warrior next time (I expect that to be a very aggravating
build early game).

I actually find that hybrids work really well in Gothic 3. I generally recommend getting at least some magic - healing, for example.

I don't think you should focus too much on magic if you intend to be a warrior, but it's nice to be able to heal from time to time and throw out the occasional frostbolt or whatever the frost spell is called. Charged up version freezes enemies if I recall correctly.

Hybrids should work quite easily if someone knows the game and stays on a single path until level 35. I suspect the QP and the CM have changed that.

I was just thinking about getting some basic spells like fireball, ice bolt, and heal for example just for some ranged attacks. Maybe a decent AOE spell for crowd control etcc.. I currently have sword and shield but working my way to hashishan territory to dual wield. Currently in Montara. If I just go straight to the desert, get dual wield then come back and do all the quests in Montara, Silden etc… Or will that area (the desert) be to tough if I dont level up properly first?

I was just thinking about getting some basic spells like fireball, ice bolt, and heal for example just for some ranged attacks. Maybe a decent AOE spell for crowd control etcc..

These spells will be mildly useful and bring some variety to the mix but don't expect them to really make a difference to a (basically) warrior build (i.e. if you don't heavily invest in Mana and ancient knowledge, so as to really make more than a dent to any serious opponent, but then you are multiclassing)

Maybe a decent AOE spell for crowd control etcc..

Which is were I am going with this: lets say Flamewave costs 7 Lp (+5 fireball) needs
120 AK and 90 mana, casting it with these minimum requirements in a room full of skeletons i.e. just mildly irritates them at best. So you see you really need to invest in the mage path for these spells to be actually effective. If you don't want to do that you are better off with a couple of scrolls for those special occasions (i.e I use summon lightning scrolls to off those troublesome shamans in Nordmar before they burn me to a cinder)

If I just go straight to the desert, get dual wield then come back and do all the quests in Montara, Silden etc… Or will that area (the desert) be to tough if I dont level up properly first?

Really depends on several variables (CP game Settings, Character build and level and
also player skill that factors quite heavily in gothic games). But this is a gothic game
meaning that you can sneak/run away/lure something to someone stronger to get by
the tough parts if necessary (I did part of varant quite early in my first couple of playthroughs when I was basically zipping back and forth between all 3 territories trying stuff out). I just do not remember what the conditions are for you to learn dual wielding
(might be one or several tough quests). For me though a great part of the fun with these games is exploring and trying to figure these things out (and finding creative ways to do stuff that would normally be too tough for your current level is one my favorites also)…

You'll find more scrolls than you need for all your needs but getting a single ranged spell might be useful. The only spell that you really needed before the CPs was Heal Other but since allied NPCs have more than enough life now I rarely use it.
Going to Bakaresh to get dual wield straight after CapeDun is doable but frankly I'm not sure that skill is worth all that trouble. It wasn't really helpful with the old combat system.

Where can you get magic skills/spells? It seems you have to leave your character gimped for a while by saving up points until you can find a magic teacher.

Last edited:
You get Beliar's and Innos' spells at their altars while druids and water mages will provide spells from Adanos.

Back
Top Bottom