The last really good sci-fi movie you saw in a theater

A SF-kinda movie I saw recently was Mr. Nobody. Loved it to bits. I have to see it again some time.

And about Prometheus, I'm also excited to see it. I loved the short scene which was released, of Wayland giving a speech ad TED, some years in the future. Thought it was very well done. And yeah, that viral-video of Adam was cool. :)

Yai! I was apparently misinformed about Prometheus - and it has been confirmed that it's getting an R rating :)

Yai! I was apparently misinformed about Prometheus - and it has been confirmed that it's getting an R rating :)

That's excellent news.

I've been trying not to think about Prometheus because the anticipation is driving me nuts. Only a month left till release over here… 3 weeks for Europe.

Hehe, I've tried to set my expectations at a reasonable level - and I think I've succeeded. It's sort of a balance between the potential of a high-budget return to my favorite sci-fi universe and how Ridley Scott has turned into a personified movie factory making good looking average films over the years.

Regarding Prometheus, it is already released in many parts of the world yet here in Spain we have to wait untill the 3rd of August. Who in hell decided this crap!

A friend of mine from the Netherlands has already seen it and he told me he left the theater very happy.

He was probably very happy because the movie was finally over.

Prometheus: Good effects lackluster story as usual. Noomi really is good at playing a tough "girl" though, probably helped by the feminist movements over here.

Prometheus: Good effects lackluster story as usual. …

Ahhh. My kind of movie, then.

pibbur who has said repeatedly, when confronted by the somewhat primitive stories in Jurassic Park(2): "A tyrannosaurus in San Diego IS a tyrannosaurus in San Diego"

I'm already an apologist for Alien 3 & 4 for there is no way Prometheus can disappoint me. heck I've even read every Dark Horse Alien novel. Those I can't really endorse however ;)

That International Prometheus trailer should definitely be avoided at all costs - it basically outlines the entire plot...

Anyway, I saw the movies yesterday and, while I'm not overly disappointed in it as a summer popcorn flick, I'm definitely disappointed when viewed from the perspective of thought-provoking SciFi - especially being from Ridley Scott. Some incredible visuals (though Sunshine still trumps it on this front imo), but the story is just broken and cliché.

Alas, for what could have been.

That International Prometheus trailer should definitely be avoided at all costs - it basically outlines the entire plot…

... I had the very same problem with the "How To Train Your Dragon" trailer ... Sad times ...

Just watched Sunshine based on mentions in this thread. Whoa. Great movie! I remember the trailers back in 2007 but this fell off my radar completely. Thanks for the heads up. ;)

I just saw Prometheus and really enjoyed it. Could it have been better? Sure. But it was still great. The CGI and cinema photography was stunning, death sequences were appropriately brutal. Plot had some issues toward the end but I still really liked it and I was pretty satisfied with the 80% "explanation" for the series. In fact I liked the fact that there were lose ends, it left me filling in the gaps and imagining.

I'm just thankful it was better than Robin Hood, one of Ridley's recent turds :)

I just saw Prometheus and really enjoyed it. Could it have been better? Sure. But it was still great. The CGI and cinema photography was stunning, death sequences were appropriately brutal. Plot had some issues toward the end but I still really liked it and I was pretty satisfied with the 80% "explanation" for the series. In fact I liked the fact that there were lose ends, it left me filling in the gaps and imagining.

I'm just thankful it was better than Robin Hood, one of Ridley's recent turds :)

Where exactly did you get explanations in the movie? There wasn't anything explained about the engineers. Nothing about where the alien goo came from.

The so-called scientists sent on-board the prometheus were also behaving like little children. No regards for procedures. Also they used the very cheap "everybody was recruited for a mission, but they had no idea what the mission is until the very start of it". That's been so over-used that it's not funny anymore.

Also the meeting with the last of the engineers was handled in the worst manner possible. They try to talk with it, and it just up and attacks them. Really stupid way to handle that imo.

For further questions that weren't answered please check redlettermedia's video.

Oh, and the cheap ending was just cheap.
She takes off in one of their ships in exploration of other alien settlements? Just awful.

Last edited:
It explained the origin of mankind as a manipulation of a single Engineer with their genetic technology in the first 60 seconds of the movie. I thought that was pretty big. I got the impression the Engineers were flying around manipulating life as they saw fit, and when you play god there are consequences - hence the destruction of that installation and the death of most of the occupants there. That was consistent with the Engineers disaster on LV426. Maybe they offed themselves entirely by playing god. Or perhaps the message is that god is simply a higher form of life but also mortal. Who knows.

You sound like one of those scifi fans that can't suspend disbelief due to flaws in the science. I've heard this sort of criticism about Sunshine, how the movie "sucked" because the science of the shield or the mission was bogus. This isn't the Andromeda Strain. It's LV223!

On the "big meeting" my interpretation:
I don't think the Engineers "decided" to spare earth. The living Engineer was awakened to realize the mission to destroy earth was interrupted due to the facility disaster. When he saw that mankind had the ability to track them down he realized that the risk of technical advancement, likely the original driver behind the decision to "reset" Earth, had materialized. He decided to simply off these lesser beings (considered bugs at best) and resume the mission as highest priority.

On the ending I had a different interpretation as well:
I think she may have been lying to David about her intent, and David's long stare before responding was because he was debating the truth of her request. She may be going there to unleash the cargo. Mankind kills its maker and takes their place in the pecking order. The Engineers may have realized that making creations with their own DNA was an error, as they will eventually be challenged by their creations. Hence the mission to ultimately destroy mankind. Or perhaps mankind was always "scheduled" for destruction and we are simply a controlled experiment?

This is why I liked Prometheus. I like to think about all the potential motivations and what might happen next etc. Most films don't have anything to think about after you are done watching them.

In the spirit of this thread I'm going to vote Prometheus, Sunshine and Pandorum as my favorite recent scifi movies.

Last edited:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/reviews-24

My two cents…

I'm ok with writing a bunch of loosely connected crap and telling the audience they're free to interpret, but I need something to engage me on a deeper level.

For that, I need human beings or characters that I can relate to or care about. I need them to behave in a reasonably plausible fashion - and I need them to be more than faceless red shirts.

Unfortunately, the movie couldn't provide that.

Back
Top Bottom