Drox Operative - Soldak's Space RPG Announced

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Soldak has announced Drox Operative, the space-based RPG they've been discussing for a while. No media has been released yet, unfortunately, we we'll still have to wait for more details but at least it has a name:
Drox Operative is a starship action RPG with warring alien races, fierce space battles, a dynamic, evolving galaxy, and co-op multiplayer.
Eons ago the Drox ruled the galaxy through their mighty Operatives. These elite starship captains were trained to accomplish the impossible at whatever cost necessary. Whether employing stealth or brute force, they were always deadly. Using these Operatives, the Drox built a starlane system for quick travel amongst the stars, colonized and conquered millions of planets, and ruled the galaxy with an iron grip for over 100,000 years. Eventually realizing their Operatives were a threat, they attempted to assassinate all of them. They failed. The following Galactic Civil War was devastating.
Thousands of years later, the Drox are extinct, but the secretive Drox Operative guild lives on. They have learned their lesson though: loyalty to any one race is foolish. They now work for whoever can pay. And pay they do! Empires might span hundreds of planets and thousands of ships, but when a critical task arises, they still turn to an Operative.
In the new space race, the major races are scouting, colonizing, and expanding, trying to take over the galaxy by diplomacy, technology, war, or any other means their scheming minds can contemplate.
As a Drox Operative it's NOT your job to manage all of those annoying people, build thousands of buildings, play nice with your enemies, or balance the budget. It IS your job to pick the winning side and maybe even help them conquer the galaxy if you're being nice, more importantly though is to rake in as many credits as possible, well that and build the coolest, deadliest ship in the known universe. Not many screw with an Operative captaining a Dreadnaught!
Drox Operative is scheduled to be released in the 1st quarter of 2012, however it will be released when it's done.
Explore a dynamic and evolving galaxy
Explore a unique sector of the galaxy in every game, with different "monsters", ship components, quests, and even races
Fight in the galactic war between the various alien races
Battle hundreds of different enemy starships
Build the coolest and deadliest starship in the galaxy
Outfit your ship with thousands of components and crew
Adventure with your friends with co-op multiplayer
More information.

Sounds fantastic :D

Considering how high quality dins curse was this should be even better since its so much easier to do good spaceship graphics compared to a dreamy atmosphere high fantasy. I'll draw you a mech or spaceship, but I cant draw you a person. xD

Agreed. I think Steven's dynamic worlds will fit the idea very well. I always love ships flying around, doing their own thing.

This is one of my favourite genres but there are two common problems, I find. First, combat often sucks. Second, even though you can do different things (trade/pirate/mine/whatever), it inevitably follows the same pattern - you trade, to get cash, to buy a bigger ship, to engage in the end-level combat. Not suggesting Drox will be exactly the same but it's a common theme in the genre.

Yeah, but thats like saying in RPGs you level up and collect loot to kill the great big foozle in the end. Correct, but not really the point. :)
Game sounds great, but wth is a "drox operative"?

True, but I didn't explain it very well. :) I guess I'm asking for the trading or mining to be a little more meaningful other than the only way to get the equipment to do the cool stuff, like pirating or bounty-hunting. That said, you're right, that's the general flow of almost any game.

"Drox Operatives" are explained in the OP.

Personally I would enjoy more if would be similar to Space Rangers 2,but maybe they will create something memorable also.

Seems interesting.

I don't see enough Space-based games these days, I'll keep an eye on this one.

Sounds like an interesting game. I still wish someone would come out with a pc game similar to Megatraveller: The Zhodani Conspiracy, except with updated present day graphics, sound and interface and expanded game world to explore.

Back
Top Bottom