Larian Studios - How Divinity Almost Didn't Happen

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Gamespot interviewed Swen Vincke about how the Divinity games almost didn't happen.

Leading up to the release of Divinity Original Sin 2: Definitive Edition, we visited Larian Studios to speak to CEO and designer Swen Vincke about the rough start the series had, their brushes with bankruptcy, and the risks the studio had to take to release Divinity Original Sin.
More information.

The RPGDot and RPGWatch always supported Larian - it's nice to see that real RPG entusiasts are finally successful.

Gamespot interviewed Swen Vincke about how the Divinity games almost didn't happen.
Old news as Swen made a few Gamecoms and other presentations where he talked about this in-depth. Glad to see things have finally turned around with the latest games.

Link - https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1021934/Divinity-Original-Sin-Postmortem-Success

Maybe now it's time for his dream RPG he wanted to create.
They need to make the next one non isometric :biggrin:
We need a sequel to Ego Draconis

Definitely agree but they will probably make another Original Sin. Though from some info gleaned in past interviews they have grown with more studios and secret projects.

We need a sequel to Ego Draconis

Agree and a true sequel to Divine Divinity, still their best game. The Original Sin games are super polished and good games, but I personally enjoyed Ego Draconis and Divine Divinity much more.

I personally find Original Sins to be the least of their games. I vastly prefer Ego Draconis and even Divine Divinity to the elemental puddle games. However, I've never been a fan of games where combat is both party-based and turn-based. Too slow for my tastes. I almost didn't buy Sin 2 and definitely won't buy Sin 3 if it gets made. In both games I get bored of fighting before the end of the first chapter.

These are still great games though, just not my cuppa.

I liked DKS 'cept the flying aroudn part but as an rpg i think d:eek:s-2 is their best offering to date. Unfortunately if you don't like the combat system you will never like the game.

I personally find Original Sins to be the least of their games. I vastly prefer Ego Draconis and even Divine Divinity to the elemental puddle games. However, I've never been a fan of games where combat is both party-based and turn-based. Too slow for my tastes. I almost didn't buy Sin 2 and definitely won't buy Sin 3 if it gets made. In both games I get bored of fighting before the end of the first chapter.

These are still great games though, just not my cuppa.

I agree. It is certainly an excellent combat system but it just starts to wear on you after a while. Still have not bough OS:2, will likely wait for a big sale on the Ultimate Edition.

Will be interesting to see which way they go with next game.

I want an Divinity Adventure game. :D

But yes, some parts reminded me of how Star Wars almost got never made, too. Very similar story, that part with the money, in fact.

I disagree, but that's cool. It's not like I have to be right on something subjective :D

I didn’t care for the divine divinity games at all.

I like the D:OS games much better. Still wasn’t able to finish them though. They’re so long and the focus on elemental damage gets to me after awhile.

Awww. I lubbed Div-Div but Ego Draconis is my fave Larian game. Original Sin is party-based so it bores me eventually. Worth the price of admission though. I hope Swen broadens the brand and makes more of all of them to be honest. Divine Divinity as an arpg, Ego Draconis as an open world game and Original Sin 3 as the tactics party-based series. The company is big enough to do two games now.

Back
Top Bottom