XCom Shooter Delayed to 2013

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well if anyone is still interested in the XCOM FPS it has been delayed again to 2013. Along with the delay the game is being changed from what it once was. Some of the development staff have resigned because of it.

On the bright side were getting the Firaxis developed game first which is a true sequel. So good, bad, or who cares? Whats your opinion?

Link-http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115275-XCom-Shooter-Delayed-to-2013

I think this looks like it could actually be decent. I'm definitely getting XCOM: Enemy Unknown, but there's a good chance I'll get this as well.

I don't hold much hope for the FPS XCOM, but it could be decent. I'm willing to give it the benefit of a doubt, but it's too early to say much more, have to wait and see. Meanwhile, I'm cautiously hopeful for the Firaxis one, hoping it doesn't turn out to be strategy lite console trash (NB: I'm not saying all console games are trash, only using the term to signify highly streamlined, super-simplified games). Keeping my fingers crossed for it.

However, the true XCOM remake is of course Xenonauts. That's the one I'm most eagerly waiting from this trio of upcoming XCOM games (even if Xenonauts doesn't have the XCOM name, it is an XCOM game in all but name).

I'm looking forward to Xenonauts also ever since it was announced years ago. Hopefully after there successful kickstarter it will be soon.

Well, they've got an estimated release date given as October 2012 and they are quite far in the development already (the game is stable and very playable now), so they should be ready by the coming autumn.

SPeaking of the Kickstarter drive, it seems to have stalled now, so it's quite doubtful they'll make the higher stretch goals. THere's still time left, so we'll see. Main thing is, the basic goal has be reaced and surpassed. We'll get the indoor missions most certainly (next stretch goal) and I'd love to get the Soviet tileset (the next one after indoors) too, but it might be out of reach given how slow the donations are building up after the first rush.

Here's the link to those who liked XCOM but haven't pledged yet, make yourself heard at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/69341191/xenonauts?ref=live.

The demo video they did made it look like it could be fun. But then I'm not one of the "Oh NO they totally raped, pillaged, burned, and then raped again the original XCom because the new one isn't exactly the SAME only better without being different" people.

Actually, the shooter isn't "based on XCom" at all. It's neither based on the same story or setting or gameplay. The aliens are different, the people you play are different, the world is different.

The problem is that they bought a title for a game.

Had they built this as a real prequel, that actually ties into the backstory of XCom, kinda like "XCom: Origins" I am sure people could have swallowed it. XCom already had a couple of games that left the original formula, but at least they were based on the same world.

You pulled a topic up from six months ago to say you don't care about the topic!?

To many topics getting Necro'd lately. Must be those damn spam bots and codexers. Your not wanted here. Go away. :p

It might be better than generic run the mill shooter so I still have hopes. However I wont compare it to any xcom games at all. If the name is the only relation then its pointless to make comparisons.

I don't care that its delayed but I might give it a try when and if its released.

I'm interested in it - the game sounded pretty neat in the old PC Gamer preview article.

Hmmm, if an alien scares me, do I get to shoot at my friends for a little bit? ;)

Back
Top Bottom