Worst Game Ever

Well, yeah, that's got to be part of it. Otherwise I could just pull up Visual Studio and write up a super terrible text adventure in about half an hour that would be worse than any game ever made.

One could always add the criteria that it needs to have been commercially released in order to count.

desert bus was never actually released AFAIK, but it would be the reason Grimoir wouldn't qualify.

I'll start adding blurbs as to why (I think) they qualify

I don't think Duke Nukem Forever qualifies because it wasn't actually a bad game.

But it does point out that two games that have been mentioned are victims of the same problem: development time was long, too much momentum already behind it, interest in the game never went away. I'm speaking of Ultima 9 and PoR. Both games went through at least two overhauls.

But at the opposite end was Wizardy 8 - it benefited from its development time and its a miracle it was released at all.

Descent to Undermountain was terrible and so was a game called Rage of Mages. I could play almost any game set in the D&D world but those games were turds. :) Paid full price for both of them. I can usually give a game a few days to grow on me but I think I tried to play both those games twice. They grew on me like a dirty fungus.

Descent to Undermountain was terrible and so was a game called Rage of Mages. I could play almost any game set in the D&D world but those games were turds. :) Paid full price for both of them. I can usually give a game a few days to grow on me but I think I tried to play both those games twice. They grew on me like a dirty fungus.

Descent to Undermountain is a great choice. Oh my, that was a travesty beyond all reason.

I actually really liked Rage of Mages, though - and played it multiplayer quite a bit ;)

The worst game I've played is not the unmentionable MM game. That title belongs to a game I fortunately have forgotten the name of, but it a first person thingy and had something to do with king Arthur . If any of you know the name and reports it here, I forgive you.

pibbur who plays whatever pibbur plays.

Not played this one, but Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing also have a very bad reputation (basically all reviews have a score of 0 or 1…).

That is a masochist angle. The crowdfunding trend has given out so many products that eventually are not games that listing the worst game ever is like deciding over ebola or spanish flu.

With good games being drowned in by products like that, it is better to try and focus on good games.

Descent to Undermountain was terrible and so was a game called Rage of Mages.
I strongly disagree about Rage of mages ! The second one was quite bad IMHO but the first one was a very fun game with nice graphics for the genre, an especially attractive inventory and a fun gameplay, a mix between an adventure game and an action rpg. I keep a fond memory of it :)

don't think the list is really about 'worst games', more like 'most disappointing games'. Some of those games in the list I played and didn't hate. I played U9 a few years after it was released (guess it was patched or I had a machine that was fast enough instead of the normal PCs when it was released). Star Wars Galaxies I actually loved! I also liked SWTOR too.

Most disappointing PC games for me? Let's see… Skyrim for sure, maybe Civilization 5, Heroes of Might & Magic 4, Might & Magic 9, Wizards & Warriors, oh, and Star Trek Online (I LOVED it in beta up to about a month before release, when some people complained it was too hard and they crippled it to the point where you could win most battles by just putting a sticker tape in the fire button, and that was the version they released).

Hehe, Star Trek Online... I quickly found my favorite way to fight was to get almost in range, stop, and start flying backwards. I called my ship the Kaufman after the old Star Fleet Battles "Kaufman Retrograde" tactic.

Classic "Big Rigs" review: http://youtu.be/sR3a0gixfwI

Star Trek Online? I tend to call it Star Instances Online :)

Not much trek in that game.

The worse game I ever bought, without a doubt, was "Magic:The Gathering:Battlemage." Ugh. What a turd that was.

Sacred 2 - the worst arpg for enemy level scaling in mid combat and unimaginative quest design combined with baby-first compass to each enemy you had to kill. (I liked Sacred 1 a lot despite bugs - it was clearly designed by people having fun).

Medal of Honor - the worst shooter I've played. Didn't think that with that budget and that segment you could get such a dud.

Dragon Age 2 - the worst RPG from a serious studio (I was able to tolerate Gothic 4 Arcania better).

Thief 4 - the worst stealth game (I managed to log more time with DE:IW and loved Alpha Protocol).

Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 would win....or lose in a virtual tie for me. Both games invoked immediate anger and a need to get my money back ASAP, no matter what it took, simply on principle alone. I guess I should also be grateful to both in their own ways, because anytime a new game is compared to either, I steer far and clear of it.

Desert Bus - a minigame in Penn & Teller's unreleased Smoke and Mirrors 1995 Sega game, that was meant as a gag gift to give to friends. The game is a realistic simulation of the 8 hour drive from Tucson and Las Vegas played in real time. The road is straight, but the bus pulls to the right requiring the player to be at the controls the whole time. There are no passengers. The only interesting thing that happens is a bug hits the window after 5 hours.

Wow, this is very much like something I came up with myself one time as a joke after hearing about a game project someone was making. My mind is totally blown.

I don't know what the worst game ever is, but Might & Magic 9 certainly had the biggest gap between expectations and reality for me. I expected a 9/10 game, but got a 3/10 or some such thing. No other game comes close in terms of not living up to the expectations, at least for me.

I don't know what the worst game ever is, but Might & Magic 9 certainly had the biggest gap between expectations and reality for me. I expected a 9/10 game, but got a 3/10 or some such thing. No other game comes close in terms of not living up to the expectations, at least for me.

You must have not cared about Master of Orion 3 ;)

Back
Top Bottom