Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Magus bugged?

I'n using Regonorak (?) (Octavia's other half) and I'm now a level 5 magus…but I can't seem to apply the flaming affect to his +1 magic sword, even though flaming has a +1 bonus cost and the weapon is already magic. I have 6 points in my arcane pool. Reading the magus description in the game and PF SRD, I should be able to do this? Since I'm fighting trolls, this is a major bummer.

Is it possible to change kingdom management to auto/invincible or whatever after you start a game? It is taking a huge amount of my time (mostly through travelling so painfully slowly across the map). Did the first curse now there's another wainting grrrr

There also don't seme to be proper cleric services in the game? I have the Jhod in my village/town but he just seems to sel stuff.

Last edited:
Huge tip on curse part 3. Don't confuse this with Varnhold vanishing quest (it's very confusing since Linzi says something about the curse struck our neighbour this time around, which is actually referring to curse part 4, not 3!!!). I was all the way up the mountains to investigate this, then curse 3 starts, I left immediately for my kingdom which still took like a week, only to find my kingdom is in shamble. Curse part 3 starts off on 1 day of the new month when you have around 20 days left in the timer. You deal with it via kingdom system (each day you delays kingdom suffers massive stat damage), then head straight to Baldhill to whack some monsters. A week later, you will get notified by your councillors, this may not be a curse etc. then timer for the curse 4 starts (which I think is Varnhold quest line). I wasted 2 days because of this confusion, ugh.

I was lucky to send Linzi and whoever she cobbled together to Bald Hilltop to deal with Curse 3, it took 1 day and was successful. I'm stuck with the Varnhold Vanishing quest now, but I think I can do it. I have 11 days left to finish, so wish me luck! I should have heeded the arcanists advice when they were saying something bad was going to happen in 2 months, then 1 month, etc..

I'n using Regonorak (?) (Octavia's other half) and I'm now a level 5 magus…but I can't seem to apply the flaming affect to his +1 magic sword, even though flaming has a +1 bonus cost and the weapon is already magic. I have 6 points in my arcane pool. Reading the magus description in the game and PF SRD, I should be able to do this? Since I'm fighting trolls, this is a major bummer.

Is it possible to change kingdom management to auto/invincible or whatever after you start a game? It is taking a huge amount of my time (mostly through travelling so painfully slowly across the map). Did the first curse now there's another wainting grrrr

There also don't seme to be proper cleric services in the game? I have the Jhod in my village/town but he just seems to sel stuff.

Clerics just sell stuff, correct. They're supposed to read scrolls for you if you can't, I guess you just try to use the scroll near them or something, dunno.

If you set kingdom to auto you can never turn it back again. Invincible is fine, it just means your kingdom can only crumble via main quest, not by you failing normal events and being in "crumbling" status. I'd suggest setting it to Easy if you want, less problems that way, or just Normal + Invincible. Just remember that if there is a serious threat looming in your land you must make that first priority, or else later terrible things can happen and give you a game over regardless of what settings you're playing on.

Kingdom Management Tips N' Tricks:

1 - Level up your advisors as soon as possible. Make sure to do it early in the month because you don't want the 2 weeks auto-time pass to take you past the end of the month where events will auto-fail. Leveling up advisors means getting your kingdom stats past levels of 20s by building things. For every 20 stat in your kingdom you get to level up the advisor in charge of it, giving them better rolls and higher success when dealing with events.

2 - Spend the first few days of the month assigning tasks if you aren't leveling up your advisors. Then when they are busy, go adventure until the middle of the month or the 20th or so. Head back to the kingdom late in the month to assign any last minute events. This is how you balance time adventuring with kingdom management.

3 - Sometimes NOT doing a Problem event is better than attempting it if you know you will fail. If it has a really high Difficulty Check (DC), and you send someone who will likely fail, you could roll a bad number and have not just a failure, but a disastrous failure, which really hits your kingdom stats hard. Sometimes it's better to ignore those or take a sure bet Opportunity with a lower DC than a Problem with a really high DC.

4 - Try to stay in positive BP. These are your kingdom's coffers, and the people are happy when you have money in the bank and aren't broke. Also try to keep your stats evenly balanced if possible. The people react to the kingdom stats, so if your Stability is low, they will understand that and not be happy about it. Also, try to advance your kingdom stats to 60, where you can potentially unlock a new advisor position by leveling up the previous advisor. Check the kingdom stat tooltips to see which stats will add new advisors. Each stat has an advisor that you eventually unlock for a total of 10 advisors.

5 - If your kingdom is in shambles, feel free to pawn a lot of the magical items you've been hoarding but not using in order to throw a feast for the townsfolk. This will raise your kingdom status one rank, so if you're crumbling, it will go to riots, if you're in riots it will go to troubled and so on. This buys you valuable time to continue working to restore your kingdom.

6 - You can turn on Invincible Kingdom and play on Normal difficulty for Kingdom management. Invincible Kingdom simply means you can't lose by being in "crumbling" status and messing up, you can only lose by not doing the main quest in each chapter in time. When your advisors or someone warns you of a terrible looming threat, you must devote your time to that. You can still lose the game if the main quest isn't finished in time, but at least you can't lose if you're stuck in "crumbling" status from messing up previously.

6 - Again, feel free to explore in the early and middle parts of the month. Don't abuse the rest system, use scrolls, potions and spells to compensate. You can explore all around and find little hidden nooks by having high Perception which will open new areas on your map you previously couldn't see. There are many spots that are small maps but have little stories and magical loot with a tough encounter, and that will help you to acquire new magical items to sell or use.

7 - Buy BP sometimes from Hassuf in the capital. This gives you an edge to build quicker and conquer lands quicker. That means you can get more economy flowing in and also keep the people happier as you expand your kingdom. Selling magical items you've been hoarding gives you tons of money for BP, so use it to your advantage.

8 - Beware of really long projects that take 90 days. They could be very useful but it's hard to send someone for that long as you may miss out on good opportunities that only that advisor could handle.

9 - Don't abuse rest during a crisis. Every moment is critical then, so do your best to only rest when absolutely necessary, otherwise you're passing time and the status is getting worse as you do. This was a big mistake of mine. The game expects you to only rest when you really need to. Also, use rations instead of hunting sometimes to save time on your rests, since hunting can take 10+ hours sometimes.

10 - Travel light whenever possible. This saves time traveling and your characters tire less, letting you gain precious hours and days before having to rest.

11 - Seizing new lands mean you can build settlements there, which will help you build new buildings that increase your kingdom stats. The more buildings you build, the higher your kingdom stats become, thus letting you rank up your advisors.

If I think of more I'll post them. I'm playing on Normal Kingdom difficulty + invincible kingdom, at least until I pull myself out of the hole I built in Chapter 3. I really screwed up there by not heeding the warnings and thinking a dungeon was too difficult when it really wasn't, so I wasted time by exploring other areas while a huge and dangerous epidemic was sweeping my land. Not smart. Once I'm back to normal with the kingdom, and this takes time mind you, it's not instant unless you throw a feast, then I'll turn off Invincible Kingdom again.

Good luck! I'll post more later if I remember more. Hope this helps you guys!

Last edited:
Have one person with extreme perception and I'd suggest adding points to anyone who has spare skills to spend. Perception guarantees that you won't miss that precious piece of loot or that obscure trail that leads to a great node. I run an inquisitor that has 27 perception.

I run two characters that are over twenty in perception, and I picked up that Eye item as well for my rogue. I'm sure I missed plenty of stuff earlier in the game, but hoping to break that trend now.

I run two characters that are over twenty in perception, and I picked up that Eye item as well for my rogue. I'm sure I missed plenty of stuff earlier in the game, but hoping to break that trend now.

I missed the Eye item and who knows what else. There's tons of hidden stuff in the game, including hidden dialogue and stuff based on your choices.

Oh yeah. There are dozens of things that are easy to miss. I found a ton of stuff that wasn't mentioned in some of the walkthroughs.

Yeah, I'm sure to also have missed a lot. For instance: All those better bows / crossbows that are NOT composite long bows. ;)

Note re: magus issue: it turns out I was doing something wrong: the choice of weapon is modal, so when you select the magus' magic weapon abillity it will either add +1 or add the flaming/frost/keen etc property depending on which elemental weapon mode is set at the time. Found this out by chance ;-) I think at level 5 I get +2 worth of enhancement so I can add +1 and flaming, for example by spending 2 points.

Owlcat really need better documentation for feats etc. But loving the game. I'm playing on normal and I think that's just right.

Is metamagic + cantrips (level 0) bugged? I can create the metamagic spell, but it is not added to the spellbook at the appropriate level. I can not be memorized, and neither can it be cast as a standard cantrip (which is where it is listed in the spellbook).

Not a terrible problem, I just wondered about it...

Tips for starting on Challenging Mode:

Play each combat like it's important. I turn on Death's Door which is sort of like a 2nd chance at life instead of straight out death. That is your choice to make. But each battle on Challenging should use all the materials at your disposal. Don't hoard scrolls/spells/potions, you don't have to use everything at once, but a Shield of Faith scroll early on can make the difference between life and death for a character and encounter. Don't take any encounters for granted, and start the combat with a proper strategy and tactical decision of what you want to do.

Also, make sound decisions on feats/spells to select. If you think you want to eventually focus on a spell school, take spells from that school from the start, be it Transmutation, Enchantment, Conjuration and so on. Have a plan during each level up rather than always picking what's good for right now. Then later on you should have a better chance of survival when the nasty encounters happen, especially if you follow step 1 I posted.

I'm finding the game even more enjoyable after starting over on Challenging. It requires use of items more and smart, strategic combat, more challenging than any RPG since Baldur's Gate on Core+, and it's a sound ruleset being the main reason why.

Last edited:
I'm at Vordakai's tomb and its so tough, making me cry :(

Bring enough rations, once you enter you CANNOT LEAVE. I might have to load earlier save or lower the difficulty sigh

Octavia keeps casting haste upon entering combat. I don't have it on autocast and I don't want to turn the AI off. Anyone have a solution?

Next question:

Since I have yet to experience an artisan quest that is free of quest breaking bugs… I assume that the poachers of the "a bloody craft" artisan quest do not exist, right?

Regarding Octavia's spellcasting habits, I basically have to play her almost full time in combat, or she'll want to launch magic missiles or acid bombs non-stop. I prefer her to use her Stag Lord acquired bow of death.

I'm at Vordakai's tomb and its so tough, making me cry :(

Bring enough rations, once you enter you CANNOT LEAVE. I might have to load earlier save or lower the difficulty sigh

You're going to have to splurge for Hassuf's bag of holding (+200 weight) so you can carry 20 extra rations. Also, not to say you did this but poor builds start to get exposed more around that point. I made it to Vordakai's Tomb and restarted to do a Let's Play. Good luck! Just remember that time limit and you may want to just get Oleg's bag of holding which is +100 lbs. Also, have Ekundayo with you - his special camp ability lessens rations needed to 4.

Also note that you can get at least three minor bags of holding from Bartholomew. You can buy a new one after each progression step in his quest line.

Also, there's the professors hat. Helps also with carrying stuff, but I kinda forgot where I got that from...

Oh man... is there a list somewhere with all quests and their hidden time limits? This is kind of annoying.

Oh man… is there a list somewhere with all quests and their hidden time limits? This is kind of annoying.

The game warns you in various ways. You have to take their warnings seriously. If trolls were spotted nearby, you have to investigate. If your arcanists are warning about a terrible magic in 2 months that will strike your land, you got to get on that asap. It does warn you.

But when several quests with some "oh, and hurry." comment, what am I expected to do? There's simply not enough information to set priorities.

Back
Top Bottom