Battle Brothers - Psychology and Resilience

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new update for Battle Brothers focuses on psychology and resilience.

The ‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC is set to release on the 29th of this month and by now it’s essentially feature-complete. We’ve moved on to thoroughly test, balance and polish everything, but there’s still so many interesting smaller things we haven’t even talked about yet. Let’s shine a light on some more of these this week!

Mercenary Psychology

A mercenary’s life isn’t easy, and seeing the man to the left split in two by an orc and the man to the right mauled by an unhold does put a strain on the psyche. People react differently to this, and so we’re introducing several new traits that characters can gain and lose over the course of a campaign depending on how their time with the company goes, what their background is and what other traits they have.

fear_greenskins-1.jpg

For example, a devastating loss against orcs may result in a character starting to fear greenskins and having less resolve when in battle against them. A sentiment that most people who played Battle Brothers can sympathize with. But as he grows in experience and is hardened by battle, he will eventually overcome his fear and lose the trait again. At the same time, another character may handle the loss quite differently, become more determined and start to hate greenskins instead, gaining a bonus to resolve when fighting against them. All in all, the number of new character traits has now climbed to be 16 – good, bad, and combinations of the two. Most of them have event interactions, some unlock additional options in events, and many of them can be gained or lost by events.

Events

Speaking of events, we’re currently at 52 new ones for the game. There’s still time left until release, so it’ll likely end up to be even more in the end. Alongside these events we’re also adding a lot of new illustrations and updating a couple of older ones with more high quality artwork.

event_illustrations.jpg

As you may have guessed, that illustration on the left is related to one of the upcoming legendary locations.

Resilience

As part of the free update accompanying the upcoming ‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC, we’re doing a balance pass on all of the character perks. The objective isn’t to make the game any easier or harder, but to further improve build variety, especially in the late game. You’ll find a list of all perk changes in the changelog once the update is live, but there’s two perks, one old and one new, which we want to talk about in more detail.

The ‘Hold Out’ perk stands out as the least-picked perk in the game currently; it benefits you only in a specific situation you want to avoid as much as possible, while at the same time you can pick other perks instead that actually help you to avoid getting into that situation in the first place. We’re going to entirely replace the ‘Hold Out’ perk with a new perk called ‘Resilient’. If you’re one of the few people that liked to pick the old ‘Hold Out’ perk, fret not, for you can now get the same effect without having to spend a perk point for it by drinking an ‘Iron Will Potion’ which can be crafted at the taxidermist from relatively common ingredients.

The new ‘Resilient’ perk reduces the duration of any negative status effect with a finite duration by one turn, up to a minimum of one turn. For example, the ‘Bleeding’ or ‘Poisoned’ status effects both have a duration of two turns, which get reduced to one turn. Of course, with a shorter duration, those two effects will also inflict less damage to a character. And quite importantly, some new status effects, like being ‘Charmed’ by a Hexe, also get their duration reduced by one turn. It’s not necessary to have the perk in order to beat the Hexe at all, but it is one possible counter and can be quite helpful if you otherwise struggle against opponents which rely on negative status effects to make your life hell.

More Proactive Garrisons

And speaking of making your life hell, enemy bases are more proactive now in sending out parties to intercept anyone that threatens them and that they can realistically take on. Camping right next to a bandit hideout to wait for morning may not be the best idea anymore, and even locations infested by undead may send out parties come night. On the bright side, if a base sends out a party to intercept enemies, their garrison will be weakened, and in some cases only a skeleton crew will remain. You can use it to your advantage by splitting a large enemy force in two, or even attack while a third party is luring part of a garrison away!

Let’s Play!

Join us again next week for some moving pictures. Our very own Jaysen will start a new Let’s Play series with the ‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC and explain all of the new features and content as he encounters them.
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

Even the devs admit the monolithic character builds.

The trait thing is out of this product. Losing a battle heavily is not part of a common session. Failure is not a feature in this product.
Triggering traits on the base of events players avoid does not work.

Exhilarating update! I generally dislike reading walls of developer texts if they are about the game's usually totally stupid lore, but I read this one in its entirety! :D Probably because BB is totally missing a story, so it remains fresh and exciting. :D

That watch tower is fantastic. I have enjoyed the artwork for Battle Brothers. Grim artwork for a grim game.

I decided that I wanna move into one of such watchtowers next year. Disguised entrance in the back, Goblin Butler, elevator with Mass Effect 1-3 music and a Playboy Mansion Floor near the top. Jotted down my expectations in detail and gonna call my favorite female realtor agent. She is gonna love this one!

You have favourite realtor agents? What a life! :p

Getting close to release. I am ready to start a new adventure. I'm hoping they have one more nice announcement before release.

I'll be doing a full replay of this as well, possibly trying out a few builds that I'd wondered about but never took to the battle field. I'll be giving this new content some time to let the dust settle first though.

After enquiries, it is going to be streamed.
The patchlog revealed what looks like a PR operation to try to appease players after the mod crisis.

Settlements will get repaired. This removes the time limit effect, the gameworld no longer shrinks. It was easy but tedious to get ahead on the curve but there was the pressure to deal with the crisis. With that feature, you can bide your time and let things happen. Players are no longer forced to defend locations.

Brothers are scouted. Considering that players try to clone profiles, the removal of blind recruitment leads to skipping bad brothers.
From the start, once revealed, a brother was said to be battle material or not. With the stats available before recruitment, no more stuffing of the party with useless members.

Big changers. And more features are dubious like crafting that allows to modify gear stats.

Looks like player service. Additional content at heavy cost.

Just say what you mean Chien. Battle Brothers is F'ing great and if you would actually play a computer game it would be the first one you ever played. Why don't you stream a game so I can watch how great you are?

It is streamed and this provides answers.

Quite multiplie attempts to address the lack in variety among builds, all failed so far.

One of the biggest shortcomings in this product is players do not form a band of battle brothers. There is nothing to bind brothers to each other. They simply operate in the same company (corporation mind)
Nothing and certainly not gameplay as companies are not structured around utility, thematics etc

This update makes this point worse. An attempt to try to bring variety includes indexing wages to the background of brothers. As they grow in levels, brothers will cost more and less depending on their background.
This to force social variety on players (SWJ agenda) as they must organize social mixity in order to cope with the upkeep cost.

Battle brothers indulging in wages distinction based on the background of their members...

But in these days when the tag is enough, battle brothers, it is so battle brothers, they are.

So yes, quite a number of knowledgeable streamers have jumped in the boat.

This gives a lot of hintsight.

Beefy content that should please players.

Scouting option barely used by streamers as the recruiting dynamics is so strong. Good men, they survive. Bad men, they are worked to death.

The additional content increases the farming intensity. This product is more farming intensive than ever. It is no longer about taking contracts and taking over places.
It is also about fighting anything and everything to farm XP and level up.

Mercenaries have turned benevolent. Pro bono work.

Back
Top Bottom