What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

It sounds like the kind of monster movie I could potentially enjoy, unlike Pacific Rim :)

So, I just came back from seeing Godzilla.

You know the recent War of the Worlds that revolved more around Tom Cruise and his cohorts instead of anything to do with the antagonists? Yeah, same story for Godzilla. So very forgettable. As soon as any excitement built, there was typically an immediate cut-away to a completely disparate plot line you couldn't give a damn about.

It's kind of interesting to point out that the movie had an IMDB rating of 9.1 a day or two ago and it's already down to 7.9. Very disappointing; it was the movie I'd been looking forward to most this summer.

Oh and
Bryan Cranston is only in it very briefly at the start.

You know the recent War of the Worlds that revolved more around Tom Cruise and his cohorts instead of anything to do with the antagonists? Yeah, same story for Godzilla. So very forgettable. As soon as any excitement built, there was typically an immediate cut-away to a completely disparate plot line you couldn't give a damn about.

So not enough monster on monster action I take it? That's disappointing.. I had hoped it would finally be the decent modern Godzilla film I've been waiting for. I was planning on seeing it this weekend, but I may have to reconsider.

Practically no monster action whatsoever until the final 15 minutes - and, even then, the scenes are so sparse and broken up that you find yourself with an overwhelming urge to track down the director and wring his neck.

There was one scene in particular that really pissed me off: Godzilla and the mantis bird thing were squaring off for one of the first times, the scene had only begun seconds prior, Godzilla goes to bite the neck of the thing… and cut away to either a) generic screaming girl running down a hallway or b) wooden soldier acting. I can't remember which because I didn't care at all for that angle of the story (which the movie indulged in for the vast majority of runtime).

That's not to say that monster movies that develop a human element are bad… but if you're going to create a Godzilla vs XYZ monster flick, you should come to terms with the fact that your stars aren't the 6ft tall variety.

Last edited:
Well scratch that movie off my list. :disappointed:

Thanks for the information Drithius. After reading other reviews I don't feel like watching another American hero save the day, and his family again anyway.

It's a well used trope nowadays. I might watch it on BD one day though.

I liked Pacific Rim :) It was a very good movie :) However, I have recently seen (as always) on Blu-ray a french movie called Mood Indigo in English. (L'ecume des jours is the french title). Built or inspired by a novel by Boris Vian from the 1940's, it was a very weird, but still somewhat intriguing and fantastical experience. It deals with a couple who meets, the woman gets sick, and we see how this effecs all the people surrounding this couple. There's a satire going on also - can you guess who Jean-Sol Partre is?

Sorry Drithius stick with computer gaming and do not become a movie reviewer. So Jaws sucked right because the shark was not in it enough? Godzilla was fantastic. The effects in it were amazing and all the monster action was top notch. Acting was real good also.

Aww the monsters weren't in it enough. Then go watch movies like Transformers and GI Joe that are all action.

Have you watched the original Godzilla from 1954? The Japanese version and not the U.S. Godzilla was not in that one a lot. But it is the best giant monster movie of all time. Godzilla 2014 is almost as good as the original.

OK I am out of here. Going to watch it a second time. Not going to read any more posts from people that need to stick with romantic comedies :) Yes I am a Godzilla fanboy and proud of it. BTW I was in a pact showing and people were cheering and clapping.

It was Godzilla that saved the day BTW with a little help from the human hero. Don't spread misinformation Couch you have not even seen it. Now maybe I can piss off other people on this site that post all the time. Sorry old man anger gets the best of me sometimes :)

OK I am out of here. Going to watch it a second time. Not going to read any more posts from people that need to stick with romantic comedies :) Yes I am a Godzilla fanboy and proud of it. BTW I was in a pact showing and people were cheering and clapping.
Goodbye and don't let the door hit you on your ass on the way out. Seems to me you just posted to make fun of Drithius, and others who have different tastes.

Update: This is why I don't post in any topics except for games as I can't stand most of you, and your opinions. Reminds me of holidays with the family.:cool:

This image sums it up perfectly.

duty_calls.png

Last edited:
That's right Couch talk more of what you know nothing about. You cry more then anyone that disagrees with you. No one offend the king on this site.

I have better things to do right now than argue with a rabid Godzilla fan. Maybe I'll argue like Dart after I had my morning coffee. So goodbye for now.:ahoy:

So to continue not talking about Godzilla is anyone interested Tom Cruise's next movie called Edge of Tomorrow. It's about a time traveling soldier in an alien invasion.

Link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUmSVcttXnI
The epic action of "Edge of Tomorrow" unfolds in a near future in which an alien race has hit the Earth in an unrelenting assault, unbeatable by any military unit in the world.

Lt. Col. Bill Cage (Cruise) is an officer who has never seen a day of combat when he is unceremoniously dropped into what amounts to a suicide mission. Killed within minutes, Cage now finds himself inexplicably thrown into a time loop—forcing him to live out the same brutal combat over and over, fighting and dying again…and again.

But with each battle, Cage becomes able to engage the adversaries with increasing skill, alongside Special Forces warrior Rita Vrataski (Blunt). And, as Cage and Rita take the fight to the aliens, each repeated encounter gets them one step closer to defeating the enemy.
Now here is a movie I will enjoy.:)

Last edited:
FYI, Hastar, I didn't tell people whether to go see Godzilla or not. I simply stated facts about it; the director thought it'd be a great idea to cut away from monster shots at the most imbecilic of times and instead rely on some random military grunt I couldn't give a crap about (and found myself stifling a laugh more often than not at his all-access pass in world-ending-scenario operations).

Yet another example of the director's mishandling of the film: the plot builds up for an hour until the monsters are set to fight… and then right before the carnage is about to ensue, cut to a news report about what happened (?!?!). What exactly are we supposed to be watching again? I like buildup in my movies as much as the next person (and no, I'm not a fan of Michael Bay, thank you for saying), but the decisions made in the flow of the story just annoyed the hell out of me.

I'm sorry you think it's such a great example of film-making. And, frankly, I don't care if you disagree with my disappointment. I also thought the Dark Knight Trilogy to be a mediocre, longwinded mess and Man of Steel to be complete dreck, tossing out or losing sight of everything I ever loved in the Superman character. And I enjoyed Alien 3. So, feel free to disagree and adore any movies you wish.

Drithius to be honest with you I can see some of your points. My problem was with people taking your word as gospel and saying they are not going to see the movie now. I guess I was more mad at people not thinking for themselves and following like lemmings :)

BTW Drith your still my boy! You gave me great advice on building my new computer :) so thanks again.

Has everybody returned to normal? Yes? Good.
Now play on, and play nice.

I couldn't care less how good the acting or story are in a Godzilla movie, because that's not why I would want to see it. I was a huge fan of the old Godzilla movies as a kid because of the monster battles. I didn't care about the human characters then, and I don't now.

I just want to feel the nostalgia of those classic battles between Godzilla and enemies like King Ghidorah, Gigan, and Mechagodzilla. I want to see the monsters fight… not imagine what they're doing while the director cuts away to something else.

I can already tell the new movie would piss me off, so I'm thankful for the heads-up.

Back
Top Bottom