RPGWatch Forums - View Single Post - The Darkness Below: a retro CRPG in the making
View Single Post

July 26th, 2020, 22:06
Originally Posted by Kordanor View Post
Very cool. Loos great!

Regarding the crafts - I am not against it, and I think other Crawlers are using this learning by Doing Approach as well. I think Stonkeep for example, and Lands of Lore as well.
Just a word of warning here, that there is also multiple ways of screwing character systems up if they are entangled in the wrong way.
Like Oblivion, where the best way to level up your character was to set primary skills which you don't use, so you don't accidently level up without getting the maximum out of it.
Or Neocron comes to mind as well, though they didnt have learning by doing. They mixed up skillpoints in a bad way with classes and category budgets, so that a heavy tank was usually much more agile than a spy (or whatever the class was called) as the spys attack skill was in the DEX category, so he needed to focus on that while the Tanks main attack skill was STR based, and so all his points in DEX could be put into speed, leading to a speedy tank with bazookas and a slow Spy with a sniper rifle…
A learning by doing system can also make character development extremely unflexible as you cannot switch easily or at all. Especially bad when your level 1 and 2 skills are kinda bad, but it becomes better at level 3.

It can also lead to exploitation and grind. E.g. if you gain XP by hitting targets. You might want to fight with weak weapons to hit more often. Or fight against a selfhealing enemy, to max out the skill faster and so on.
Hey, thanx man!
Yes, i understand your points completely. I remember the Daggerfall system, providing me a level whenever i developed a number of main statistics, out of numerous & had a complex system of minor, major & primary stats & a level cap of 32 levels, if i remember correctly. Lands of Lore is a lot simpler.

My main point of using such a system is to immerse the player better into putting more work in his/her crafts. A Wizard which have mastered the Fire magic should be worthy of that title. I expect all the characters to work on their crafts, not merely clicking away available points to craft slots, doing whatever until then. I expect a Master of some weapon craft to have killed literally hundreds or thousands with his favored weapon before getting worthy of that title.
Grinding should not be a problem as the game world will be large enough to eliminate that problem. Game is inspired by M&M3-5 so endless killing is certainly one of its features. I agree there will be dangers on a new system. I will try to keep it simple & go from there.
--
Check my Patreon

vlzvl

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)