Skyrim - Has All of Tamriel!

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
And now for something completely different. Kotaku is reporting that Skyrim contains all Tamriel. Morrowind is in there as well as Cryodiil complete with landmarks. You can visit Solstheim, Vvarndenfell, White Gold tower and in the middle of Cyrodiil is the Imperial City. All of these locations are there.
The player who discovered this engaged noclip mode when at the border of Skyrim and Morrowind and soon discovered he could enter Morrowind. He's gone to Morrowind and Cyrodiil, but not to the other areas of Tamriel yet. In case you're skeptical (as I was) he has screenshots to back up everything he is reporting.
Everything is reduced in scale and texture quality, but they are in there. Either Bethesda has some grand expansions in mind or the landmass is there for modders to take advantage of. Either way Bethesda just earned a lot of brownie points from the community.
More information.

Getting to revisit Morrowind with the upgraded engine of Skyrim would be flat out amazing.

Go on Bethesda, make an add-on or DLC that includes Morrowind! Yes!

My guess is it's there for the guys wanting to recreate morrowind/oblivion in the skyrim engine.. and kudos to Beth for doing it. With some of the auto gen options in the toolset it should lead to some great work in the future.

But Vvardenfell + Cyrodil isn't 'All of Tamriel' :(

My guess is it's there for the guys wanting to recreate morrowind/oblivion in the skyrim engine.. and kudos to Beth for doing it. With some of the auto gen options in the toolset it should lead to some great work in the future.

Agree with all of this, especially that isn't nearly all of Tamriel. It is all of Tamriel that we've seen recently, but not even Bethesda would tackle creating 5 more mega provinces in one game :) I'm sure it's mostly a modders resource, because the Imperial Province and the Dunmer Province would have had massive changes in the last 200 years. The Empire lost to the high elves and Red Mountain exploded and I'd guess that those changes aren't evident in the engine.

Still, this is an amazing nod towards the modding community, which just reinforces why Bethesda is my favorite game company.

Everything is reduced in scale and texture quality, but they are in there. Either Bethesda has some grand expansions in mind or the landmass is there for modders to take advantage of. Either way Bethesda just earned a lot of brownie points from the community.
More information.

Maybe they plan to sell Morrowind as DLC? etc?

Good job anyway!

This really doesn't mean anything as far as expansion content, but it's still cool.

I wonder if these landmasses exist on consoles. That would go a long way to hinting at Bethesda's intentions. If they are on consoles, it's most likely DLC expansion content. If they're only on PC versions, it means it's meant for modders. Either way, this is really cool!

No joke ? Wow ! O_O

Snippet from the guy who reported this:

Morrowind isn’t the only province that has been made in Skyrim. As far as I know the majority of them are there. I’ve only been able to get access to Morrowind, and Cyrodiil since my game loads them slowly, and I don’t have the patience.

I'm sure in the days to come people will see if the rest of Tamriel is in there, but as of now I'm assuming it is. I did a double take as well when they said all of Tamriel, but Kotaku said it, Gamebanshee said it and I'm just going with the flow. Seriously I read and reread that thing trying to figure out why everyone was saying all of Tamriel when he only reported on Morrowind and Cyrodiil. They must know something I don't.

If creating landmasses is so dang easy then someone please tell Tamriel Rebuilt. I've been waiting for that to be finished for years now :D BTW, I'm only joking please don't off the handle and talk about quests and artwork and everything else that goes into that mod.

My guess is that Bethesda didn't want the players to just see a void when looking at the top of the frontier mountains. It's just background scenery.

And it shouldn't be much work: Skyrim uses an upgraded engine with witch it made Morrowind and Oblivion, so my guess is that they just had to import the landmass from those games.

Plus, I've used the tlc (IIRC) command to fly around, and didn't see much landmass east and north of Skyrim (some trees were even floating in the air, as you would not be capable to see the ground from any place in Skyrim, just the top of the trees, very far away.

My guess is that Bethesda didn't want the players to just see a void when looking at the top of the frontier mountains. It's just background scenery.

And it shouldn't be much work: Skyrim uses an upgraded engine with witch it made Morrowind and Oblivion, so my guess is that they just had to import the landmass from those games.

Plus, I've used the tlc (IIRC) command to fly around, and didn't see much landmass east and north of Skyrim (some trees were even floating in the air, as you would not be capable to see the ground from any place in Skyrim, just the top of the trees, very far away.

That's some insanely extensive background work. Why include objects that nobody will ever see? Regardless of why they created it, the fact that they did unlocks some insane possibilities for modders. If a good portion of the modding community would band together and agree to each focus on different sections of the unfinished landmasses (adding in foliage, locations, quests, etc.), can you imagine the possibilities?

Even if it is just the provinces of Morrowind and Cyrodiil, that's an insane amount of extra content that could be added, and added more easily since there is no need to worry about creating the landmass to go along with it. I think the key would be to get modders to work together on the project, so there wouldn't be opposing groups putting out their own vastly different sort of content.

The opinion on RPS is that the heightmaps were included simply for background. That seems like the simplest explanation. Still no reason modders couldn't use them I guess.

Even if these background landmasses will have to be heavily modified before anyone would consider them worth exploring - this is at least a heck of a lot more than modders usually have to start with isn't it? I mean the simply the fact that the extended land mass already exists is helpful isn't it?

Gaaah me want Creation Kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlbA2qiXsf0

So yeah it's most of them (black marsh, hammerfel are in there too); not sure if it extends to valenwood and almost certainly does not go to the island of misfit racist elves.

Last edited:
Very cool find!

Nice job Bethesda /thumbs up :)

Plus, when some people actually tried to make "Morroblivion" by actually going out there and adding back in all the stuff from Morrowind into Oblivion as a mod, they slapped them with a CaD, and lore-wise, you're 200 years into the future, so I wouldn't get all excited.

That said, there are people out there working on mods to actually include things like all the other provinces, but they just can't use the work that Bethesda still sells.
From official forum. Oblivion had kind of the same thing? Didn't know that

Back
Top Bottom