South Park - Editorial @ Kotaku

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Kotaku's Jason Schreier has a new article were he talks about South Park: The Stick of Truth combat system. He lists both the good and bad parts of it.

There was a point in South Park: The Stick of Truth—somewhere between performing an abortion and farting on Nazi zombies—when it occurred to me that Obsidian's new RPG isn't just ridiculous—it's also kind of brilliant.

Much has been made about Stick of Truth's impeccable comic timing—and it is impeccable!—but just as impressive is the game's turn-based combat system, which somehow manages to stay consistently fresh and entertaining throughout some 10 hours and 100+ battles. STEP ASIDE, FINAL FANTASY.

South Park's combat system is sort of like a cross between Earthbound and Paper Mario. Your characters line up across from the bad guys, waiting their turns to use attacks and spells, and in order to execute those abilities, you perform mini-quick-time-events that involve pressing buttons in the proper order at the proper times to both attack and block your opponents' moves.
More information.

Bad parts? What bad parts? Bah.

Btw, it is #1 on Steam weakly bestselling list again. Yes, topseller two weeks in a row.

It's worth every penny. But then I'm… Um… An odd person who likes nonmainstream stuff. Some ppl were utterly disgusted with that game. :)

And why would you pay the full price for the digital version? Register on GMG and buy it with voucher they offer (20% off, maybe 25%).

Anyone who played it actually feel it was worth $60?

Why anyone would pay that much in the first place is beyond me, i found it for $27..

I like it, it's not great as an RPG maybe, but a great game for any SP fan.

Bad parts? What bad parts? Bah.

Btw, it is #1 on Steam weakly bestselling list again. Yes, topseller two weeks in a row.

Great now sells numbers define quality level, that just released.

…I like it, it's not great as an RPG maybe, but a great game for any SP fan.
I think this is more the point, many fans of the cartoon buy it hence top in sells, but also many of them seems enjoy it for the spirit of the cartoon well reproduced in the game.

Non fans of the cartoon should probably apply a lot of caution.

Last edited by a moderator:
"...and every enemy in the game can be affected by your skills"

Nope, that's flat out not true.

I just finished the game and the battle system was... well, in a normal RPG that takes 40+ hours to play the battle system would be horribly simple. As is, it's enough to carry this 15-20 hour game.

$27? How?

I'd pay $60 for an epic RPG (Skyrim, DA, ME) but that's about it. 4-5 hours of South Park, not so much.

I never buy directly from Steam anymore because it's often twice of what you have to pay if you shop around for a bit, i bought the key from G2A.com. The only bad part was that i didnt get the key exactly at launch, had to wait 12h or something extra, but not worth paying double to get it a little faster imo.

4-5h? It's at least 10-20h from what i've heard (havent played through the game yet).

Yeah, it was 12-14 or something even for me, and I'm pretty fast for a guy who completes every side quest. You could do it in 10 or less, but only if you skip the side quests.

As for being worth it: It is to fans of the series, but probably not to anyone else. It really is like playing a South Park movie or 3-4 episodes.

I'm not fan of the series. How could I be, I watched a few random episodes ages ago and thought those are mediocre stuff.

It took me about 20 hours to finish the game, but I just had to explore everything, find every secret stash and read/hear all oneliners. That makes me fan of the game. Will I watch series now? No. I'll wait for the game sequel.

And I still say the game is worth every penny. You're not paying for 100+ hours of grinding. You're paying for something you didn't and won't see anywhere else. You're paying for real art here, not for "let's sell the fact modern gfx cards render realtime an imaginary eyecandy valley just put some grinding into it so it looks worth paying for".

Regarding g2a keys, be careful, the game uses steamworks and is different for regions (censored content) so if you live in for example australia but buy european key there, the game won't work on you! Make sure you buy the key for your region if available. Or use VPN and risk getting permabanned on Steam.

Last edited:
I never buy directly from Steam anymore because it's often twice of what you have to pay if you shop around for a bit, i bought the key from G2A.com. The only bad part was that i didnt get the key exactly at launch, had to wait 12h or something extra, but not worth paying double to get it a little faster imo.
I bought a gift key in ebay for $30, worked fine.
4-5h? It's at least 10-20h from what i've heard (havent played through the game yet).

It was 19h (according to Steam) for me. Probably more like 17 if we exclude time I may have been AFK while the game was running.

Game took me 20 hours and I moved at a decent pace and explored every area and side quest I could. It's a fun game. For a middling South Park fan (i.e., I've watched the show a number of times and I've seen and enjoyed the movie), it's quite entertaining, a solid 8 or 8.5 game. For a fan of South Park, it's probably a 9, because it is just so chock-full of extras and in-jokes that I think a fan would be very pleased.

As for the combat, you grow tired of it right about the time the game ends. You end up finding a few attacks that seem to work well on the different enemy types and you spam them until the end credits. So, I'd say combat is fine…. not great, but it serves the game well. The most interesting aspect of the combat is the ability to "socket" elemental damage and other upgrades to your weapons and armor. Although it is not particularly deep, it does add a bit of needed customization.

Obsidian just announced the new game they're working on

http://aw.my.com/

free to play MMO. i bet the people here who werent too happy that Obsidian worked on SP arent exactly thrilled about this either.

Obsidian just announced the new game they're working on

http://aw.my.com/

free to play MMO. i bet the people here who werent too happy that Obsidian worked on SP arent exactly thrilled about this either.

not my type of game, but isn't there already an MMO just like that? (World of Tanks)

WoT is probably #1 on the most popular pay2win MMO list.

Back
Top Bottom