The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

We've been listening to loads of Slacker / Pandora piping from my roid into our kitchen sound system ... so nothing specific (everyone has a couple of 'channels' and we just jump between them on occasion).

Orchestrions are great. I love automata with a passion... anyway, this way a very cool vid.

The ScreaTHE SCREAMERS - ridiculously cool punk band consisting of a drummer, two keyboardists and a vocalist called Tomata. They were so punk they haven´t even recorded an album so they´re only available via bootlegs and comps.
However, they also made some vids (circa 1978):
122 Hours of Fear
Vertigo
Eva Braun
This band plain and simply ruled. Pity it hasn´t lasted longer.

On a different note,
Bülent Ortaçgil - Benimle Oynar Mısın (1974)
By far the best album of a turkish sorta Nick Drake.
A very pleasant chamber folk, basically.
Olmali Mi Olmamali Mi
Anlamsız
Benimle Oynar Mısın (a strong Tears in Heaven vibe in this one btw)

Last edited:
Recently released cover of the Cranberries' tune from my good friends. I think they did a good job with it. Enjoy!

"Linger" by Makaras Pen

@ubereil: Tangerine Dream is great, but I like the older pieces (Phaedra,Rubycon..) best.

Now here are 3 supergroups:

Office of Strategic Influence (Jim Matheos from Fates Warning, Kevin Moore of Dream Theater/Croma Key fame): Be the hero from their album "Blood".

The Dead Weather (Jack White from White Stripes, along with Dean Fertita from Queens of the Stone Age among others): Treat me like your mother (Horehound). I, like the vocals of Alison Mosshart.

And finally "Them Crooked Vultures" with David Grohl (Foo Fighters), John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin), Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age): Elephants (live).

Great rock music!

I think I need to take a look at Queens of the Stone Age.

I think I need to take a look at Queens of the Stone Age.

Yeah. Rated R and Songs for the Deaf at least.
Rated R feels a lot like a fun jam, Songs for the Deaf are more hitsy and controlled, both are rather eclectic, gooovy and really good all around.

Kinda inspired me to spin new Kylesa - Static Tension.
Well put together sludge with a speciality in the form of two drummers.
Not particularly innovative, just a good mix of heaviness, groove and occasional melody.
Scapegoat
Only One
Unknown Awareness

@ubereil: Tangerine Dream is great, but I like the older pieces (Phaedra,Rubycon..) best.

The problem with them is the same problem I have with every band who's released 20+ albums. That being finding a decent entry point. I'll look out those two examples though.

Übereil

Mass Effect 2 soundtrack ... pretty cool stuff, but falls into a rut pretty quickly

Well put together sludge with a speciality in the form of two drummers.

"Sludge" & "two drummers"… reminded me of the Melvins latest line up :) - and with that I highly recommend:

A Senile Animal, an excellent album ESPECIALLY for a band which has been around for as long as the Melvins have - it has a lot of energy, sound is great, and they also explore a bit of new ground with a 2nd drummer and some harmonies courtesy of new bass player (actually, new bassist and 2nd drummer were the core of another band).

Although it's not as sludgy as classic Melvins (except for the last 2 tracks which are quite sludgy :) ).

Just finished the Mass Effect 2 soundtrack ... not bad, but not really memorable as stand-alone music based on my first listen. Nothing like some of the themes from Dragon Age, Risen or Divinity II that have stuck with me ...

Smoke and Mirrors - The Eden House

51weLASArkL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Out of left field I started listening to this one, the cover caught my eye while I was looking at other cds, listened to the samples a few times then hit youtube and was impressed. Plodding kinda ethereal echoey female fronted semi-goth stuff. Supposedly some influentian and famous artists behind the project, I dont know who any of these people are but like what I'm hearing.

Worth the 9 bucks so far, me and Tigress enjoying it

Influential people indeed. Monica Richards is the voice from Faith and the Muse. Julianne Regan fronted All About Eve. There's a guy from Fields of Nephilim, too.

Here's their MySpace, which has some info on who's who.
http://www.myspace.com/theedenhouseuk

Good pointer, Sammy. Ethereal, but still very lush and powerful.

Back
Top Bottom