What cRPGs to look forward to?

Sneaky_seal

Sentinel
In the last few years there has been a stream of great cRPGs coming out: Pillars of Eternity, Divinity Original Sin, Banner Saga, Darkest Dungeon, Tyranny, Underrail, etc.

However, looking forward - I see less cRPGs to be excited for: Divinity Original Sin 2 (already avaiable in early access), Pillars of Eternity 2, Banner Saga 3 and that's about it. You can also notice that all these are sequals rather then some new games.

I would also mention our project, Ash of Gods, scheduled to be released in November 2017, but I am obviosly biased here ;)

So what are the cRPGs you look forward to being released in the next few years?

Expeditions: Viking (turn-based tactical combat, ability to opt for diplomacy, lots of C&C). Due out in only 4 days!

Copper Dreams (cyberpunk CRPG with a different turn-based combat system (hard to describe in a few words, but essentially turn actions play out in real-time… similar to Grandia if you're familiar with that). Also, lots of emphasis on stealth and has a great sound character build system with a custom ruleset that harkons back to Arcanum & the first two Fallout games. Whalenought will also use the updated engine and ruleset for the upcoming standalone expansion of Serpent in the Staglands: A Banquet for Fools.

No Truce With the Furies- a truly unique game. Very dialogue and choice & consequence heavy. Combat will be done through dialogue choices but is not merely a CYOA as stats / skills matter a lot. Q4 2017.

Prisonscape- really cool sounding indie RPG where you play as a prison inmate trying to survive / escape (currently in alpha and might release by the end of the year).

Graywalkers: Purgatory- a Fallout inspired turn-based CRPG, but with a supernatural twist. Heading to Early Access sometime this year.

Sacred Fire- a turn-based CRPG focused on character emotions, personality, and relationships. Just had a successful Kickstarter. Due out next year.

Vigiliantes- a turn-based tactical RPG in an urban "neo noir" setting; play as a group of citizens taking down local gangsters. Due out sometime this year.

Icy: Remastered Edition: post-apocalyptic RPG. Released in '15 as more of an adventure game / visual novel, the improved edition due out this year will have a new turn-based combat system and other improvements.

Battletech- OK so it's really more of a turn-based strategy game, but the Campaign Mode sounds like it will have RPG elements; it's from HBS, developers of the recent Shadowrun games and it looks fantastic. Q42017

Fallen Gods- CRPG based on Norse mythology, inspired by gamebooks.

Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones- turn-based tactical CRPG based on Cthulhu mythos.. though I never really got into Lovecraft this still intrigues me.

I also remain hopeful about Seven Dragon Saga because it is from many of the people who made the Gold Box games, although there hasn't been much news lately and it may be years away (as their KS failed a couple of years ago).

And of course even though it is still years away, I am very much looking forward to Iron Tower Studios Colony Ship RPG.

Last edited:
ELEX, PoE2 and D: OS2 are all upcoming, 2017 releases, so this year looks great. However, I am uncertain about 2018. For now, it looks like a year for replaying stuff.

Battletech- OK so it's really more of a turn-based strategy game, but the Campaign Mode sounds like it will have RPG elements; it's from HBS, developers of the recent Shadowrun games and it looks fantastic. Q42017

My hubby is dying for this one to come out (and for it to be good).

I'm looking forward to D:OS2 and PoE2 like everyone else. Also, waiting patiently to hear more about Cyberpunk 2077.

While I didn't like DA:I, I'm still having a tiny hope for DA4 - still wondering how they will tie up everything like

Black city, Archdemons (are they physical forms old gods have left behind when they were trapped in Fade), Solas and Flemeth (and the god baby soul), about human-elf relationship hinted in DA:O dalish elf origin and few other places - some old ruins looking like human+elven combined feature/structure etc

Daveyd, you've got to be kidding. I'm making a list of upcoming RPGs for another website, and now you're posting a bunch I haven't even heard of. Everytime I think I've found the most important ones…

However, I second Copper Dreams, No Truce With the Furies, Stygian and Colony Ship. But is Seven Dragon Saga still a thing? I fear that the developers may have given up after the failed kickstarter. Let's hope for the best.
However, this is a dangerous thing to ask me, because I have a very, very long list of games to look forward to, including Ash of Gods. Let's stick to the ones that are probably most compatible with this forum's taste.

Exoplanet: First Contact
A sci-fi RPG with western flair. You're stuck on a foreign planet with a small human settlement and have to survive. Do quests, hunt down the local wildlife to sell their hide etc. But ammo is scarce, so you have to do a lot of crafting, work with traps and be creative in combat.

Seven: The Days Long Gone
Our hero is a master thief in a post apocalyptic world, who has to infiltrate a prison island for a job. There's a surprising catch, though. His employers put a demon in his head. Why? We'll see.
The world is a mix of medieval culture and machines from the times before the apocalypse. And the hero knows parcour, which is a huge part of the gameplay. Plus all moral choices are based on the game world's ethics, not on ours.

Underworld Ascendant
Who remembers Ultima Underworld? This is part 3. Don't let the name fool you, EA still owns the name Ultima, but they don't own the content of the Underworld games anymore. So it's the real Ultima Underworld 3 with a slightly different name.

InSomnia
Mankind has left earth on the way to a distant planet to find a new home there. 400 years later, when they're almost there, "Noman" awakes from his cryo slumber and has to find his way in the society of a giant space station/ship. Few people are left, and large parts of the ship are abandoned. He'll also have to find out why they left earth in the first place.
The developers promise tons of skills to build a unique character, branching questlines and even different endings.

Edge of Eternity
When Aliens attacked Heryon, people managed to drive them back into their ship with the help of powerful magic crystals. The invaders released a virus on the planet that turned every infected into a hybrid of machine and organic being.
This game combines the ATB combat of Final Fantasy and the looks and story telling of a JRPG with the tons of subquest and influenceable story of a WRPG. That means the ending depends on the players choices.

Call of Cthulhu
Another lovecraftian RPG. Unlike Stygian, this one's about an investigator who's trying to find the murderer of a family.
Sneaking and snooping around are the core of this game. If you want a lot of combat, this game isn't for you.

After Reset
A postapocalyptic RPG in the tradition of the original Fallout. The character system is inspired by S.P.E.C.I.A.L. and DnD. The developers also promise a branching storyline with a lot of c&c.

ATOM
This is another Fallout inspired game, this time set in Russia. While trying to survive in the wasteland, the player comes across a conspiracy against the rest of mankind. Obviously somebody wants us extinct.
Quests will have multiple solutions, and there'll be several skills to chose from, so no character has to play the same.
It's currently on kickstarter. I really hope the funding will be successful, though the developerst are going to finish it anyway. It sounds like a good alternative to the old Fallout games.

Black Geyser
The story has a rather unusual approach. The country isn't infested by monsters or invaded by another country's army, but it's greed that spreads like a plague and brings down society.
The inspiration for the gameplay were classics like Baldur's Gate, and the ability to place items in some NPC's pocket or even apply poison to his skin sure sounds like an interesting element of gameplay.

Synapse
A distopy in set a world that's ruled by big corporations. 90% of all people live in mega cities, and the lowest of the social classes make a living by digging through the trash in search of sellable spare parts. It was just a question of time until someone dug up something that wasn't supposed to be found.
Cyberpunk and tactical turnbased combat, but also 11 playable characters. I hope they don't mess it up.

Dungeons of Aledorn
Okay, the story is just Orcs vs. Humans, but that's not the point. This is one for the real old school gamers. I love the list of inspirations: Fallout 1 and 2, Realms of Arkania, Might and Magic… Read it yourself, but don't drool on your keyboard. ;)
And they're putting some real effort into gameplay and world design, it seems.

So late already? I've got to go now, but I'll post the rest later on, if others aren't faster. Yes, there's more.

ELEX, PoE2 and D: OS2 are all upcoming, 2017 releases

PoE2 won't be out this year. They pitched it (i.e. early access) with a release date of Q1/2018 on Fig and it's Obsidian so we can automatically add 6 to 12 months to that date ;) .
Also, even if by some miracle, they do end up making that Q1 date for early access, well, I would not realistically expect a somewhat bugfree, feature complete and stable game before the end of 2018 at the very earliest.
Personally, I will be waiting for the fully patched GOTY as with the first game.

PoE2 won't be out this year. They pitched it (i.e. early access) with a release date of Q1/2018 on Fig and it's Obsidian so we can automatically add 6 to 12 months to that date ;) .
Also, even if by some miracle, they do end up making that Q1 date for early access, well, I would not realistically expect a somewhat bugfree, feature complete and stable game before the end of 2018 at the very earliest.
Personally, I will be waiting for the fully patched GOTY as with the first game.

Interesting. That's actually a good thing. Evens it out a bit.

While I didn't like DA:I, I'm still having a tiny hope for DA4 - still wondering how they will tie up everything like

Black city, Archdemons (are they physical forms old gods have left behind when they were trapped in Fade), Solas and Flemeth (and the god baby soul), about human-elf relationship hinted in DA:O dalish elf origin and few other places - some old ruins looking like human+elven combined feature/structure etc

DAI is not coming in 2017 or even 2018. BioWare new Secret IP is their next game, but it might not be that much of a RPG (EA CEO called it action-adventure).

About the human+elven architectures, DAI answered that one indirectly. These are elven architectures (match the Dales structures), humans (like Tevinter) simply took over them after the elven empire crumbled and history came to refer to the owners as humans instead of elves. It's super interesting to replay DAO with DAI fresh in your mind, especially as a Dalish. Like the Temple of Sacred Ashes is full of winged elven woman statues that the Dalish origin especially says is elven…

No love for Bard's Tale 4? That's like my most anticipated one right now.

No love for Bard's Tale 4? That's like my most anticipated one right now.

My thought exactly when looking at those lists. I miss WL3 too, although it might be further in the future.

Some of the games on those lists are also very doubtful if they'll ever be finished. After Reset? I backed it but gave up a long time ago. Same for Underworld ascendant. The devs of both those games are welcome to surprise me though. Oh, and why not add Grimoire too? ;)

But is Seven Dragon Saga still a thing? I fear that the developers may have given up after the failed kickstarter. Let's hope for the best.

Well, since the KS failed TSI has apparently been working on it part time. They haven't posted any dev update in awhile but this was a statement on their forums about 3 months ago:

TSI Support said:
Sorry for the radio silence.

TSI remains committed to creating quality games but development is obviously going more slowly than any of us would have hoped. We hope to have more to share before too long.

And here's a few other RPGs (or at least games w/ RPG elements) I'm looking forward to that haven't been mentioned here yet:

The Meridian Shard- I guess, at least as far the combat is concerned, it's technically a JRPG. Art assets are really beautiful and there will be some C&C. Possibly releasing before the end of the year.

Bloom: Memories From the sounds of it it is more of an action / adventure game, but there will be C&C (a pacifist playthrough will even be possible. Has some beautiful art as well.

Liege- nice looking tactical RPG. Has been seriously delayed but progress has been made...

Age of Grit - a steampunk / Western RPG where turn-based battles involve steam-powered airships

Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements - a point & click adventure / RPG hybrid (e.g., Quest for Glory) where you play as an apprentice mage.

Hero U: Rogue to Redemption- another p& click adventure / RPG, made by the creators of QFG, with a thief protagonist.

Oh, come on, no one mentioned Kingdom Come: Deliverance yet?

That one's on my number one spot. Also looking forward to DOS2, ELEX and Vampyr! Oh, and Star Citizen? :p
The Mandate was also on that list, but since their latest KS update I don't hold much hope anymore.

Yes Kingdom Come is what I voted for on the RPGWatch poll. I am a little nervous on the delays and combat but the game looks like it will be fantastic.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance has nice graphics. Might be a decent game if you like console-oriented Action RPGs. Not expecting deep, meaningful choice & consequence or a particularly good story though.

These lists aren't exactly filling me with excitement. The only games mentioned here that I'm really interested in are ELEX, Underworld Ascendant, and D:OS2, and the latter two might not even be released this year.

I was really hyped for Exoplanet: First Contact, and I backed it on Kickstarter, but I'm seeing very little progress being made.

Grimoire, Forged of Blood, Underrail expansion, No Truce with the Furies.

The only games that I'm really interested in are ELEX, Underworld Ascendant, and D:OS2,…

Hate to burst your bubble but feel free to write off the former two.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance has nice graphics. Might be a decent game if you like console-oriented Action RPGs. Not expecting deep, meaningful choice & consequence or a particularly good story though.

I'm not sure you should call it an action game if they are hiring sword masters to make the fighting as real as possible. Also, most action games would not have you wear 3 or 4 layers of armor. I am nervous for other reasons but to call it an action game you have not watched any of their making of videos.

I'm not sure you should call it an action game if they are hiring sword masters to make the fighting as real as possible. Also, most action games would not have you wear 3 or 4 layers of armor. I am nervous for other reasons but to call it an action game you have not watched any of their making of videos.

I called it an "Action RPG", not an "action game". Are you suggesting the game will not feature real-time (i.e., twitch based) combat? Realism sounds great in theory, but has nothing to do with genre / subgenre.

Back
Top Bottom