BioShock

No I do not see the problems you have with it, because they lie within you...not within the game. Just like the saying, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". That is just the way you perceive the game.

As I suspected :)

Certainly i'm bit underwhelmed when playing Bioshock compared to all the good raving talks out there, but the game is far from a bad game.

Certainly i'm bit underwhelmed when playing Bioshock compared to all the good raving talks out there, but the game is far from a bad game.

That is a great way to sum up how I felt as well. I was shocked at how many 10\10 ratings that game received, as well as how many reviewers used the word "classic" in talking about the game.

It's a great game no doubt, but not even close to a 10\10 imo, and will never be considered a "classic" either.

Bioshock was the only game last year that hold my interest, and i really wanted to finish it. Be as it is that this is no rpg (or is only an action game). Making me want to finish a game is a feat in itself, so for that reason i think this is definitly worth a classic.

Or atleast a "Mute" reward. :)

Last edited:
Most people agree Halo is a great video game. Popular concensus isn't necessarily (and often far from) an indicator of a fictional product's quality.

I think there can be no doubt that Halo 3 was a quality product. Can't really speak for the other two, but whether or not you will agree, there is so much in that package that it simply can be labelled as classic in my view.

For example, you don't know how much fun we had playing Halo 3 at home with four players in the same room in split-screen. Then you can even take those four people and play with some more people on the internet. Four-player co-op is a blast, too.

The single-player campaign may be lacking compared to some other offerings, but is by no means bad at all. All things considered, the product is pure quality.

I do like to get a PC version of Halo 3, anyone hear anything about that? A gold or collection edition with all three Halo games would be even better.

The Halo games haven't translated well to PC because they - like so many console games - neither age well not port well. Reviewed on their own at the PC release date, the two previous Halo games would have gotten ~6/10 scores. In fact, that is how I scored Halo 2 PC. That doesn't mean that console folks are wrong to love them, it is just that ...well, I said why.

the two previous Halo games would have gotten ~6/10 scores. In fact, that is how I scored Halo 2 PC. That doesn't mean that console folks are wrong to love them, it is just that ...well, I said why.

No way is the first Halo only a 6, the 2nd one might deserve it simply for the fact that Micro$oft had the gall to make it a Vista only game.

Halo PC scores an average of 83% at Metacritic, Halo 2 is rated at 72%. I still haven't play H2 yet but imo that score for H1 is about right.

No way is the first Halo only a 6, the 2nd one might deserve it simply for the fact that Micro$oft had the gall to make it a Vista only game.

Halo 2 can be considered a scam, but Halo was a worse port than Halo 2, and also a worse game. I remember that the game simply didn't work correctly on the recently released NVidia cards and the same year Max Payne 2 was released, that was in every way a better game than Halo was.

Agreed - and when it came out it looked and felt ancient. Indeed, looking at Halo 2 in the context of contemporary games it is laughable ... heck, I'm playing Half-Life, Unreal, and SiN now and they *all* play better than Halo despite being at least 3 years older!

Halo 2 can be considered a scam, but Halo was a worse port than Halo 2, and also a worse game. I remember that the game simply didn't work correctly on the recently released NVidia cards and the same year Max Payne 2 was released, that was in every way a better game than Halo was.

Halo worked just fine on nVidia cards, and was bug free on every system I played in on. The storyline was also great, and I find that most of the PC gamers who crap on it will admit that they never actually played more than a few levels when pressed about it.

The Max Payne games were fun, and I own both of them, but there's probably a reason why Halo sold nearly as many copies as both Max Payne 1&2 combined.

Last edited:
The Max Payne games were fun, and I own both of them, but there's probably a reason why Halo sold nearly as many copies as both Max Payne 1&2 combined.
Be careful - that is a slippery slope, especially given that both were reviewed very well, and one is a console-centric action game and the other was a PC-first story-driven non-multiplayer game. If you start with 'sales = quality' then you have to say that Oblivion is the best RPG ever. Or that Halo is much better than the NOLF games (which it certainly isn't) because it sold more.

Be careful - that is a slippery slope, especially given that both were reviewed very well, and one is a console-centric action game and the other was a PC-first story-driven non-multiplayer game. If you start with 'sales = quality' then you have to say that Oblivion is the best RPG ever. Or that Halo is much better than the NOLF games (which it certainly isn't) because it sold more.

I thought it was odd that JemyM made the comparison to begin with, but I certainly wouldn't consider Halo a "console-centric action game" just because it was developed for the X-box first. What exactly makes it console-centric? If it had been released for PC first nobody would have known the difference. The age-old "just because it sold more doesn't mean it's better routine" isn't lost on me, I don't automatically think something is great just because it sold 10 Million copies. On the the other hand, it's just as naive to dismiss sales as being meaningless when they're obviously not. Hype alone does not sell games, if that were the case then Daikatana would have sold 10 million copies.

I thought it was odd that JemyM made the comparison to begin with, but I certainly wouldn't consider Halo a "console-centric action game" just because it was developed for the X-box first. What exactly makes it console-centric? If it had been released for PC first nobody would have known the difference. The age-old "just because it sold more doesn't mean it's better routine" isn't lost on me, I don't automatically think something is great just because it sold 10 Million copies. On the the other hand, it's just as naive to dismiss sales as being meaningless when they're obviously not. Hype alone does not sell games, if that were the case then Daikatana would have sold 10 million copies.

Sales aren't meaningless, they simply don't reflect quality.

Daikatana might not have been a big seller, but it sold around 200.000 copies, which wasn't that bad considering the time of release and the utterly devastating reviews it received. In my opinion, that speaks directly against your claim that they mean something in terms of quality. If a game that universally despised - which cost so much to make - can cover production costs, then there's simply something wrong now isn't there. Yeah, it's hype.

Halo was - at best - a mediocre shooter. I completed it on the PC out of sheer tenacity, and thankfully it wasn't long. The story was great? You've got to be kidding me. The level design was horrible and the gameplay was extremely single-minded and overly simplified. It wasn't bad overall, which is the reason I managed to get to the end, but it's definitely one of the worst shooters I've bothered to complete, and I've completed MANY of them.

Judging from professional reviews, Halo 3 was more or less the best modern game in the world until GTA4 - which is about the biggest joke I can imagine. It's all about Microsoft funding the marketing campaign and the media happily providing a service in terms of overly favorable reviews.

The entire industry is saturated with corruption and compromise, and why wouldn't it be? It's all about money, and EXACTLY the same has been going on in Hollywood for decades.

Sales aren't meaningless, they simply don't reflect quality.

I agree.... to a point. If a game is total crap, it's not going to sell regardless of the amount of advertising put into it. It might sell well initially but word of mouth travels too fast nowadays for a game of poor quality to have huge sales.

Halo was - at best - a mediocre shooter. I completed it on the PC out of sheer tenacity, and thankfully it wasn't long. The story was great? You've got to be kidding me. The level design was horrible and the gameplay was extremely single-minded and overly simplified. It wasn't bad overall, which is the reason I managed to get to the end, but it's definitely one of the worst shooters I've bothered to complete, and I've completed MANY of them.

What do level design and gameplay have to do with storyline? You must be incredibly stubborn to have finished Halo if you really thought it was that bad because it wasn't a short game at all. Your post seems to be somewhat self contradicting anyways. On one hand you proclaim it has "horrible" level design, which I would actually agree with, and that it was overly simplified. Then the next moment you're saying "It wasn't bad overall".

I've been playing FPSs since the original Wolfenstein, and while I wouldn't claim Halo is great overall, it certainly isn't the complete POS that some PC gamers try to claim.

You must be incredibly stubborn to have finished Halo if you really thought it was that bad because it wasn't a short game at all.
Huh? It was under 10 hours, and that was only because of the obvious / blatant / pathetic copy&paste of areas to artificially lengthen the game. It would have been under 8 hours otherwise.

I've been playing FPSs since the original Wolfenstein, and while I wouldn't claim Halo is great overall, it certainly isn't the complete POS that some PC gamers try to claim.
I would never call it a POS, but to me it is the most disappointing thing that Bungie did - I was excited as a multiplatform gamer who loved Marathon on the Mac and was also a PC gamer. I also think that it is absolutely fair to judge the Halo games in the context of games released at the time - in other words, to compare Halo 2 to Half-Life 2 and Far Cry.

In my opinion, what 'gets' PC gamers is that Halo is held up as one of the greatest shooters of all time, and much of the sales are related to that feeding frenzy. The whole 'console multiplayer' cannot be dismissed, either. That was a major selling and sustaining point for the franchise - and annoyance to PC gamers who had been doing it for years. I would say that Halo is 'good', but I really think I need to play it again because from my last playthrough I don't think it stands up well against the 1998 shooters I'm tooling through now.

Back
Top Bottom