Krater - Post-Apoc RPG Announced

Dhruin

SasqWatch
couldn't be cause its a sweet genre that's under utilizied and usually contains games that are a more plausable reality/future than most scifi or fantasy games...to me only cyberpunk is a better genre which no coinsedence is even further underutilized

Could be interesting :) I like that they're going with a more lush setting, the concept art is really nice.

@curious, yeah I'd love to see a cyberpunk RPG since none has been made in its true sense. Cyberpunk is not supposed to have a "bad-ass" main character with military training (like Crysis, DX etc), it's supposed to be a low-life. Guess that doesnt sell though, "average joe" wants to be this boring super hero type :/

So how would you define Cyberpunk? I'm a bit confused by the different expressions. Steampunk, Cyberpunk etc.

Would you classify Shadowrun as Cyberpunk?

I wonder what the sudden increase in fascination for a post-apoc theme is? Seems like it's the new trend nowadays.

Hi,

I am Martin from Fatshark. The first two Fallout games has always been 2 of my favorite RPGs of all time. Another great source of inspiration is the original XCOm game and I think the reason for post-apo is that it gives a bit more freedom in terms of technology and a reason to start the game with a bit sub par equipment so there is plenty of room for improvement.

Also I havent seen a really good top down rpg in a post apocalyptic setting in a long time. I think there are quite a few fans that, just like me would play such a game alone or with friends in co-op.

Cheers,
Martin

couldn't be cause its a sweet genre that's under utilizied and usually contains games that are a more plausable reality/future than most scifi or fantasy games…to me only cyberpunk is a better genre which no coinsedence is even further underutilized

As you can see on some of the concepts we will try to get some cyberpunk elements in the game. You are totally right, cyberpunk is really cool.

Hi Martin, will the combat be real time or turn based? Hmm.. now I see on your site that it's real time? Why the love for RT when you name drop stuff like Fallout 1+2 and XCOM?

Good luck with the game!

Hi Martin, will the combat be real time or turn based? Hmm.. now I see on your site that it's real time? Why the love for RT when you name drop stuff like Fallout 1+2 and XCOM?

Good luck with the game!

Hi,
The main reason for doing it in real time is multiplayer.

The combat in the game will be more similar to Baldurs gate or even playing a World of Warcraft group in an instance, where you faces a few enemies at a time and decides how you will aproach them. Thus a slower pace. You will decide when to engage and each group of enemies will be more of a puzzle. So you might want to disable one before pulling the group.

You control 3 characters in your party. You pick them from a roster that you are continously evolving. You can find new characters, recruit them or even craft them. More on that later.

/Martin

So how would you define Cyberpunk? I'm a bit confused by the different expressions. Steampunk, Cyberpunk etc.

Would you classify Shadowrun as Cyberpunk?

It's a mix of urban fantasy and cyperpunk. Steampunk is alternate history and has nothing in common with cyperpunk. Arcanum and The Thief series are Steampunk.

Hello, Martin.

The game certainly looks nice. Will the game have active pause, meaning retaining the ability to issue orders while the game is paused?

Last edited:

Good luck with the game!

I really hate it when people name drop XCOM when plugging their RT games.

Hi,

I am Martin from Fatshark. The first two Fallout games has always been 2 of my favorite RPGs of all time. Another great source of inspiration is the original XCOm game and I think the reason for post-apo is that it gives a bit more freedom in terms of technology and a reason to start the game with a bit sub par equipment so there is plenty of room for improvement.

Also I havent seen a really good top down rpg in a post apocalyptic setting in a long time. I think there are quite a few fans that, just like me would play such a game alone or with friends in co-op.

Cheers,
Martin

Greetings Martin, thank you for the input. I'm simply trying to understand why there seems to be a huge shift in focus toward post-apocalypse themes lately. I can understand Fallout 3's grand success, but does that mean one game changes the way people approach themes for titles they produce?

I like the idea, because that means other companies can branch off and try something new (need I mention Arcanum?) with an existing theme, but at the same time I can't help but feel that a lot of these people aim for the idea "because everyone else is doing it", and maybe they are.

Although, many modern day RPGs approach the idea of starting out small, but I suppose few really utilize that by making you feel as if you're playing a small character from the start.

Concerning the steampunk/cyberpunk posts, I'm an Arcanum fan so I'd be happy with more steampunk approaches to games (cyberpunk being a subgenre of science fiction whereas steampunk is a subgenre of alternate history, as Vurt mentioned).

I like to think of cyberpunk as "looking what could be in the future" and steampunk as "looking at what could have been in the past".

Last edited:
Greetings Martin, thank you for the input. I'm simply trying to understand why there seems to be a huge shift in focus toward post-apocalypse themes lately. I can understand Fallout 3's grand success, but does that mean one game changes the way people approach themes for titles they produce?

I like the idea, because that means other companies can branch off and try something new (need I mention Arcanum?) with an existing theme, but at the same time I can't help but feel that a lot of these people aim for the idea "because everyone else is doing it", and maybe they are.

Although, many modern day RPGs approach the idea of starting out small, but I suppose few really utilize that by making you feel as if you're playing a small character from the start.
Actually we started working on this concept for 7 or 8 years ago but paused it for a couple of years hehe. I rather refer to the first fallout games.

Regarding dropping XCOM, it is one of my favorite games and it is a really good game overall. I think the meta game in XCOM is what made it great, the squad management, the hardcore aspect and the loot. That is why I mentioned it. I also think it is important to note that it is really hard to do fun turn based multiplayer.

I love multiplayer games. It makes the world so much more living.

Cheers and thanks for your feedback!

/M

Hello, Martin.

The game certainly looks nice. Will the game have active pause, meaning retaining the ability to issue orders while the game is paused?

It is a debate we have right now internally. ;)

Right now we don't have a pause function. I am kind of afraid of it in a coop game. It is an easy thing to add but it might make the game to easy.

The good part is that you chose when to engage so you can plan your attacks on each enemy team you encounter.

I could be interested in this game, but the focus on multiplayer worries me.
It makes me think that this is probably going to be an hack 'n slash more than a RPG.

Also, can't really say I remember one single RPG with an interesting multiplayer mode.
I'm not a single player zealot and I love multi as much when part of the proper kind of games, but RPGs to me are THE single player genre, with virtually no exception.

Also, can't really say I remember one single RPG with an interesting multiplayer mode.
I'm not a single player zealot and I love multi as much when part of the proper kind of games, but RPGs to me are THE single player genre, with virtually no exception.

We had a ton of fun playing Baldur's Gate and NWN multiplayer.

Hey Martin, I certainly don't want to seem like I know what's best for your game (I don't ;)), but I would like to recommend adding an active pause. A lot of players really like to be meticulous with these types of games (think Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age, or Icewind Dale) and the lack of an active-pause can be difficult to overlook. For me personally, I have passed on several overhead, real-time RTS/RPG type of games because I hate not being able to pause the game, survey the battlefield, and plan my next moves; the frantic pace of later battles is too much of a headache to manage in pure real-time. Implementing an active-pause feature for single-player games only might be a good solution for the multiplayer issue. Just a thought! :)

Anyway, I like what you guys are trying to accomplish with your game, and I wish you the best of luck on your project!

Back
Top Bottom