Battle Brothers - The Unhold

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The latest development diary for Battle Brothers details 'The Unhold' which will feature in the 'Beasts & Exploration' DLC.

Dev Blog #100: The Unhold

Last week we took a look at the Hexe, a wily witch that is making its way into the world of Battle Brothers as part of the upcoming ‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC. This week, we’ll take a look at the Unhold, a more down-to-earth type of enemy that is intended to spice up the mid game with its physical presence. Let’s go!

The Unhold

The Unhold is a lumbering giant, easily the size of three men, and dwarfing even the tallest orc. It eats whole sheep for a snack and empties a pond to wash it down. There’s tales of enraged Unholds leveling remote farms and plucking the limbs off of unlucky farmers like wings from insects, but closer examination will reveal that Unholds aren’t malicious creatures. They’re fiercely territorial, but may often be content to persuade with ear-deafening bellowing and threatening gestures any invaders to run for their lives. The Unhold is a somewhat solitary creature and can be found either alone or in small groups only.

The upcoming DLC will assign to all the beasts distinct habitats around the world, but the Unhold actually has several, because it comes in three regional variants. The most common variant is found in the northern tundra and hills. Another variant is said to be found in swamps and sometimes forests, where they inhabit caves. The fiercest is the northern variant found in the snowy wastes, with white fur that protects equally against cold and steel. Click here for a wallpaper of the artwork below.

The Unhold’s theme in the game is displacement, and all of his skills center around it. To this behemoth, zone of control means little, as he will constantly shuffle the battlefield and demand smart repositioning by the player to protect their weakest characters, and allow the strongest to bring their weapons to bear on the beast. Unholds have little to no armor, depending on the regional variant, but they possess the unique ability of healing wounds slowly over the course of combat. Luckily they can’t heal injuries, like a broken leg, the same way, but the longer combat drags on, the more their regenerative abilities will work in their favor.

The Unhold’s first skill is called ‘Unstoppable Charge’ and works similar to the charge that orcs employ. When charging, the Unhold hurls himself towards his opponents with such force that it can’t be defended against with a spearwall, it stuns or knocks back several people at once, and it also dazes the Unhold himself as he makes impact, so he isn’t able to charge and attack in the same turn.

The second skill is ‘Fling Back’ and allows the Unhold to grab any opponent in his way and fling them back over his shoulder like a plaything, taking their place in the process. Using the ‘Indomitable’ perk will guard against it, but anyone flung like this will receive falling damage. By tossing his opponents around, the Unhold can slowly make his way wherever he wants to go.

Once in melee, the Unhold uses his massive fists to make sweeping strikes that can hit up to three targets at once with so much force that there’s a chance they’ll be knocked back. Because the Unhold will constantly knock targets away from himself, he’s rather bad at focusing down a single target, but he excels at battering down a group of people over time. Individual attacks of the Unhold aren’t the most damaging, especially to armor, but he has the potential to make a real mess out of your plans if you don’t adapt fast enough.
More information.

With my company being very reliant on second line and fragile bowmen, I feel I won't like fighting that giant dude who can easily ignore my shieldwall…

Last edited:
The question will be, if your bowman can take them down before they get to you? Wonder what their range defense will be?

Yeah, it should have pretty low ranged defense since it's a giant (easy target).

My main tactic is giving the Berserk perk to bowmen so they can get one extra shot every time they kill an enemy, they often shoot three arrows by turn and most enemies do indeed fall before even reaching my shield bros (thanks to the Youtuber Retcon Raider who told me that tactic).
That won't work here, unless there are some minions accompanying the giant.

Aargh, I'm already playing the game in my mind. I'm addicted.

Last edited:
Despite their size, they still only take up one hex?
I guess they're tall but not large (excuses, excuses...)

The engine isn't really sophisticated, as Barking Dog said above.

I also wouldn't mind seeing them attempt to organize a campaign release at some point, but I seriously doubt it will ever happen. It's too bad though, I suspect it would fare quite well in the game and perhaps even attract more people to give it a try. I would see it as a viable marketing approach for those that might be perches on the fences about playing this.

I also wouldn't mind seeing them attempt to organize a campaign release at some point, but I seriously doubt it will ever happen. It's too bad though, I suspect it would fare quite well in the game and perhaps even attract more people to give it a try. I would see it as a viable marketing approach for those that might be perches on the fences about playing this.
I don't know.
There's already a story: it emerge for your choices of battles, your wandering on the map, your victories and your defeats, the bros you lost and the bros you gain, the lords you decided to serve… Every company I led in this game had a really distinct and memorable journey (even those who ended really badly. Especially those!).

For sure, you are right when you say an organized campaign (a story mode, basically) would attract more people but I'm not convince it would be good for the game.
It's doing its own thing…

Last edited:
I don't know.
There's already a story: it emerge for your choices of battles, your wandering on the map, your victories and your defeats, the bros you lost and the bros you gain, the lords you decided to serve… Every company I led in this game had a really distinct and memorable journey (even those who ended really badly. Especially those!).

For sure, you are right when you say an organized campaign (a story mode, basically) would attract more people but I'm not convince it would be good for the game.
It's doing its own thing…

I haven't gotten all that far into them, but it sounds like the undead and orc-invasion mega events have sort of a story as well? Where you can eventually fight off the invasion, essentially "winnning"? Or am I wrong about that?

Certainly more things like that could give a little more direction to people who wanted it, without interrupting the freedom of those who did not.

I haven't gotten all that far into them, but it sounds like the undead and orc-invasion mega events have sort of a story as well? Where you can eventually fight off the invasion, essentially "winnning"? Or am I wrong about that?
It depend a lot on the generated map you've got.
Once, I've had an undead crisis basically resolved by itself because I helped so much an already strong faction that they were patrolling and were kicking asses everywhere.
I aslo had overwhelming crisis when I lost everybody in the course of a few battles just due to the distance in the wilderness between thoses (lack of food, moral, and money to pay salaries… ).
You can win and save the day, but it doesn't end your game if you don't.
Like the devs said themselves : "losing is fun".

Maybe it would be better with more "guidance", I don't know, I'm not a game designer. What I know is that I LOVE the game as it is.

You are right, there certainly is at least an implied story, which carries through much of the game. I think it could be broadened somewhat, but it certainly isn't needed by any means. What is there right now is plenty of content for the price, and a product many other companies should be quite envious of.

The last game I just played I won all three crisis. I almost always have the noble crisis first. Gives me time without having cities destroyed. You do missions for one of the noble houses and help decide the war. You can break sieges, raid enemy lands and take part in large battles between the noble houses.

The 2nd crisis was the undead invasion. This was harder but you take missions to protect cities and destroy undead lairs and tombs. There was also a mission to get an artifact out of a castle controlled by the undead. I won this crisis without losing any cities.

The 3rd crisis was the orc and goblin invasion. The missions are protecting cities and destroying orc and goblin outposts and their cities. You can also try and break orc sieges on cities. Four cities were destroyed before I was finally able to beat the green bastards back to the swamps and mountains.

For me I think it has just the right amount of story but a campaign mode would be fun to get more people to play.

Back
Top Bottom