RPGWatch Feature: Silverfall Review

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Mike "txa1265" Anderson puts Monte Cristo's stylish action/RPG Silverfall through its paces. Here's a sample:
All of the character development and equipment and graphics goodness doesn't mean anything if the gameplay isn't fun and engaging. So how does Silverfall play? Well, this is ultimately where the game falls from the dizzying heights of excellent visuals to the mediocre execution of a standard click-attack combat-fest. Left-clicking performs the action currently assigned to that button - either melee, ranged or elemental attack - continuously on the selected target until it is dead. Right-clicking unleashes a single magical attack on a target that consumes Chi power - these are spells like Fireball or special melee attacks like Double-Strike. As you could guess, if you are dual-wielding weapons you want to use the double-attack most of the time since the attack bonus greatly outstrips any loss of defense (which you can also make up with armor). This means that in a crowd of enemies you will be clicking your way into the RSD (repetitive strain disorder) emergency room!
Read on...
More information.

Nice review, especially the references to "kill the guy" (our name for that evade tackle game) and Karn Evil 9. Makes me want to fire up some ELP right now, in fact. ;)

I picked it up on Ebay for $15. Not worth $40, but definitely a decent $15 game.

P.S. When are we going to see this novel on bookshelves? :p

Hehe ... I laughed as I was editing myself near finishing and found the phrase "Here is the quick version" - because, let's face it: nothing in that review is 'the quick version' :D

I am still hopeful for the PSP version despite the fact that they seem to be ripping the guts out of what made the PC version visually unique ...

Played the demo, got bored soon. Decided to skip the game.

Yep the camera and pathfinding were poorly implemented. Also, I had issues with the compass/map where it was nearly impossible to find NPC's. I gave up about 5 hours into it.

The amazing thing is that you *do* get used to it - I managed to get used to it while playing the preview, but was all frustrated anew when playing it for review ... and was very used to it by the time I finished ... but playing other a-RPG's you immediately notice the difference.

Back
Top Bottom