Final Fantasy VII

So what's the exact situation on these so-called chapters? If you buy FFVIIR right now, do you get to play all the way from bombing the train to falling into the Lifestream where you Omnislash Sephiroth? How much original side content is there? And how much new side content did they add?

Errr, you don't bomb a train? You jump out of one right at the start, though.

The first chapter is JUST Midgard. They added a good bit of stuff to that section so it's not like this is going to be a 15 hour game.

There's still no indication of what the next game will cover or when it will come out. I'm hoping it will be before year's end but, especially with the virus, it's hard to tell for sure.

There's still no indication of what the next game will cover or when it will come out. I'm hoping it will be before year's end but, especially with the virus, it's hard to tell for sure.

Oh, I don't think there's the slightest chance of that. I doubt it comes out in 2021, either.

It's going to use the same engine, though. Wouldn't it take quite a bit less time because of that? They've still got to do all the voice acting, maybe some motion capture, and plenty of artwork but most of the spell effects are all there, the game systems are there, and so on.

Unless they are transitioning to PS5 already...?

All I can say is that you're vastly underestimating how long it takes to make a game of that size and quality. It probably will be a PS5 game considering that the PS5 is coming this year and the game won't be for a few years, but that's not the reason it'll be a few years. A game engine is not what takes the majority of development time. There have been plenty of games that used a third party or already existing engine and still took years and years of development to come out.

I doubt it'll be PS5 only. My guess is that it'll be available for both systems with a PS5 version being higher resolution and a faster framerate.

A game engine is not what takes the majority of development time. There have been plenty of games that used a third party or already existing engine and still took years and years of development to come out.

That's where the definition of an engine gets a bit fuzzy. If they were coding a new engine from the ground up, that can take years in itself. For FF VII they've used Unreal engine, so when they talk about using the same "engine", what they mean is the game framework they've built on top of that. That part would usually be a relatively small part of development time, compared to making all the content.

That's where the definition of an engine gets a bit fuzzy. If they were coding a new engine from the ground up, that can take years in itself. For FF VII they've used Unreal engine, so when they talk about using the same "engine", what they mean is the game framework they've built on top of that. That part would usually be a relatively small part of development time, compared to making all the content.

Right, and rarely is an engine built from the ground up for a major game. Either they're using Unreal or Unity or Gamebryo or some other engine they've licensed, or they're making it in a proprietory engine they originally built years before.

I don't know, folks - this is really beyond just "engine." The next episode is going to be more like an expansion, and one they have very much planned for since the start. An expansion with a ton of content, sure, but all the game systems are in and even heavily tested. Many of the animations are, also.

No one knows the minds of the Squares but my bet is on a PS4 version showing up late this year, maybe January, with a voucher for a free (or at least really cheap) upgrade to the PS5 version when it shows up. That avoids the hate-storm of people that want to play but can't afford a PS5 at the time while still pressuring people to get a PS5.

I doubt it'll be PS5 only. My guess is that it'll be available for both systems with a PS5 version being higher resolution and a faster framerate.
And ray tracing!

I don't know, folks - this is really beyond just "engine." The next episode is going to be more like an expansion, and one they have very much planned for since the start. An expansion with a ton of content, sure, but all the game systems are in and even heavily tested. Many of the animations are, also.

Yep, and that will make a difference. It certainly helps them to hit the ground running, and some of the assets will be reusable, but the lion's share of the work is still in just generating all the new content.

Just promise me you'll remember this conversation when FF7R part two comes out in the Spring of 2023.
Too long! But I'll sure remember if the PC version shows up and we still don't have episode 2. (I'm in KC. I've got enough BBQ sauce to make crow taste just fine.)

Come on it's Square Enix they love delays.:lol:

Ever since the new generation of consoles they became pardon the pun a "sloth.":biggrin:

Too long! But I'll sure remember if the PC version shows up and we still don't have episode 2. (I'm in KC. I've got enough BBQ sauce to make crow taste just fine.)

I'd rather you be right than me, honestly. When I finished part 1, I would have immediately jumped into part 2 if it was already a thing.

FF7 "Integrated" is showing up in early June. Same episode but adds a story about Yuffie, a photo mode, a new difficulty level, and some marginally better graphics for the PS5. PS4 owners can upgrade to it for free (assuming they have a PS5, of course).

Still no mention of a PC version and there's no way it will be showing up before the Playstation version, so at least June.

Still no mention of the next chapter of the story.

It doesn't surprise me that there's been no mention of part 2 yet. I don't know how large their team is, but I think it's safe to assume that most of them were probably working on the updated version.

I was hoping the announcement of Integrated would also mention a PC version. I think Sony wants this to stay exclusive for now though to help push the new console. Not that it needs help. It's still almost impossible to even get a PS5 right now unless you're willing to overpay.

My guess is the computer version will be available a year or two after the console one is released. They know it'll sell for pc owners, so it's truly only a matter of time these days, we'll get it!

My guess is the computer version will be available a year or two after the console one is released. They know it'll sell for pc owners, so it's truly only a matter of time these days, we'll get it!
Probably wont see a PC version till they finish the next two parts.:(

Back
Top Bottom