Nasty WoW beta phishing

Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
I just got an email inviting me to the WoW Mists of Pandaria beta. Rather strange, given that I have never played World of Warcraft in my life. Furthermore, it was sent to the email address I used to subscribe to MMORPG.com, not the one I used with Blizzard.

I saved the email and checked the HTML. It looks like it's going to some place called change-dragon.tk which will then likely redirect to Blizzard's account page inside a frame. In other words, you'll go to Blizzard's account login but you will likely be watched while you log in so somebody can steal your account/password.

The only other real tip-off I can see in this email is that the trademark symbols got replaced by question marks. That's one NASTY attack!

Anyway, I figured I would send out a heads-up. Most people likely didn't use different email addresses for Blizzard and MMORPG so this wouldn't be so obvious.

Unfortunately e-mails like this are very common. I've gotten dozens of phishing attacks trying to get into my WOW account. I don't even open 95% of the e-mails claiming to be from Blizzard, and any e-mails claiming to offer a beta invite are met with extreme suspicion. I'm pretty sure that this is standard practice for any WoW player.

When I got into the D3 beta I almost didn't participate because I was so suspicious of the e-mail. Usually the phishing e-mails are really easy to identify though because of the numerous grammar and spelling errors.

Yeah, I see those false Blizzard spams all the time, too, but this one seemed particularly well worded. Apparently that's because it's a copy of the real beta invite. They just swapped out the link to the account page.

Maybe Blizzard needs to stop putting links into their emails?

Yeah, I see those false Blizzard spams all the time, too, but this one seemed particularly well worded. Apparently that's because it's a copy of the real beta invite. They just swapped out the link to the account page.

Ah yeah but I don't see how they could be expected to come up with something that my bank realized about a decade ago.

Ah that is a little nastier then.

Personally what I do is when I get a beta invite from Blizzard I never click on the link. Instead I go to Blizzard's Website and activate the beta there. That way I know for sure that I'm not being phised.

Back
Top Bottom