Anime Discussion Thread

Chinese and not japanese, Quan Zhi Gao Shou (The King's Avatar) is probably the biggest surprise of the season:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/33926/Quan_Zhi_Gao_Shou

What's it about? Honestly? This:
8d0e8cebcd53d7247030054252393d7ae5ce0903376332ea1c77b4ac18081872.gif

This anime series spits on the last Mission Impossible movie and similar paid to advertise mushrooms crap. At the same time, it tries to describe how exactly esports scene works, sadly it doesn't go deep enough if you ask me.
We're seeing it from one "normal" pro player perspective, the sad truth is that the scene is full of ragers, ragequitters and abusers, but the show producer, Tencent, is the major shareholder (or perhaps total owner) of Riot Games so they just wouldn't bless filming of something like that.

Animation is hit and miss, some scenes feel superexpensive, some dirty cheap and many, sadly, repeat. If not for that, I'd call this a mustwatch, sadly I just can't.

3 episodes left till the end so the only question is where to watch.
Tencent has it's youtube channel, and while their anime integrates chinese subtitles (probably for hearing impaired), the channel has english captions included. Yes, it's legal stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSjaP1eV5eQ&list=PLMX26aiIvX5ocv2xksC-w-YQrqlixhIRA

Till we see a movie about current superstar Faker, or perhaps more interesting about past overrated pros like Ocelot, give this anime a shot.

-

Additional note. The MMO in anime doesn't exist, but is actually in the works, here's CGI trailer:

No, of course you won't be playing it, it'll be yet another grinder.

No, of course you won't be playing it, it'll be yet another grinder.

Going by the web novel a mega grinder. Three months of 24/7 grinding to get a character to max level by only running dungeons and killing mobs. 100 people raids with about 20-30 item drops total…outch. Super large guilds that keep all the good stuff for their few leaders and use players as slave labors to gather materials for the pro-clubs (although, that part is decried in the novel).

Some stuff is clearly exaggerated, some stuff shows that author actually played MMOs, lots of guild drama…it's hilarious to read, especially when the author add a note to say he forgot something, lol.

Apparently anime doesn't cover everything from the novel, some "juicy" parts didn't make in. But that's expected and there is always possibility we'll see those in spinoffs or something.

Oddly, many people are not aware that Tencent is currently the biggest gaming company in the world:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/tencent-stock-pc-games
Maybe not oddly in fact, can't remember the last time I saw an article about them, major gaming sites always talk about Activision, EA, Ubi, Rockstar, etc. Usual bunch that bases their business on DLC crap and microtransactions.

I bet the novel, anime and that CGI is Tencent's PR strategy for a product they want to become an actual WoWkiller MMO. I hate grinding, but I also respect them being sincere in anime while talking about leveling MMO character, you won't hear them saying "busywork", "themepark" nor "immersive sim" whatnot journalist use. Which is real, an actual player will never use those words to describe grinding.

There are (were) WoWkillers MMO in Asia. Playing MMOs is way more popular there than it is in NA/EU and more popular than WoW in Asia too.

The novel is very accurate about the world of MMOs though, although it exaggerate a few things. Like no online games would support the ping necessarily to do what some of the characters are doing in the novel.

Also, I've seen busywork used a lots lately for single player games with lots of optional content and tie it to MMO design, when nobody who plays MMOs use the term. The novel use none of that though. PK, kill stealing, smurf account, scamming, etc are all there though...also boring quests (note the main characters are into PvP).

Smurfing and KSing is also addressed in anime. ;)

Spring season over, more or less.

Shingeki no Kyojin second season doesn't dissapoint with action animation and the story branches in several ways with finally revealing the source of titans and reason why some people are able to create a titan while keeping their body intact. The actual process of "titanification" is still not explained, some questions still remain (main hero's father, key, cellar, whatever) some more surfaced (wallcreating titans), we'll see it all answered probably during next season which is set for next year.
Highly recommended, but don't watch it before season 1.

Berserk season 2 can be described as a sort of forming fellowship of the ring. We still don't know who, what, which, where, all we could follow are gory battles hoping someone will finally shed some light on causes of it all. Sadly, while we do learn some lore, plenty of open questions from the first season remain a mystery. Silly nonipples ragdolls used for people are still in, some trashmobs look like playstation 1 graphics (lizards, trolls), the action for no reason gets paused during long monologues aka season had a horrible scriptwriter/director.
Still, I can only praise this one for trying to do something else than yucky schooling and harems. Recommended too, but just as Attack on Titan, don't watch it without seeing season 1 first.

Seikasuru Kado started as exciting story about powerful being coming to Earth. Who is he and what does he (or should I say - it) want will be revealed through series. He, however brought gifts to humanity. The first one is endless source of energy.
It's all awsome till a certain point when the story completely breaks apart. Humanity in anime is not our species - instead of genocidal/homicidal species anime describes us as sheep. Instead of humanity instantly attacking the alien and wiping it with fabricated excuses "it doesn't use wheel and sacrifices children", the humanity is completely passive here.
Fantastic starting idea being overall utter garbage with nice animations, skippit unless you believe in Santa Claus.

Oushitsu Kyoushi Haine is a story about problems some teacher has while tutoring 4 princes. Spoiled princes.
It's silly, sometimes "cringy", sometimes does have juicy humor, but overall predictable and in the end forgettable.
If you need anime fix and have no better title to grab, this one will do just don't expect miracles. Mediocre.

@joxer
Going to check all the series you mention. Bookmarked a few weeks back already. :)

I am back from work,back from the mines. Finally home at last,after a whole month(a bit more actually) and now I have more time to lurk around the interwebz.

Did a quick check whats cooking for the Summer 2017 Anime...not much going on for me,but a few did catch my eye.

Princess Principal
looks quite nice and somewhat interesting as the story is placed in 19'th century London. Spying girls could be another name for the Anime. Not sure if spying is all they do. :)

Saiyuuki Reload Blast is another potential series. Also looks very good.
Not sure whats it about. In the trailer some Elven bandits are beaten up in a spectacular way,so yeah,going to take a look.

Made in Abyss is a really cute looking little Anime. Seems like an interesting adventure/Fantasy show.

And lastly, Kakegurui. Some rich kids take a gamble which is not that fun at first,and it is not. But in the trailer,there was a psycho girl or two,like loosing her mind and going batshit crazy. So I thought, it could be fun to watch.

So,these are some which look fun. But first, I need to go through the Spring season,and when the "Spring cleaning" is done, I can move on. :)
I have around 15 bookmarked Animes. But AOT 2 is a priority,hehe.

Gave a shot to a couple of episodes from each anime available in summer season (those available in my area on different sites) and I almost wanted to say it's all unwatchable garbage. However…

Princess Principal
looks quite nice and somewhat interesting as the story is placed in 19'th century London. Spying girls could be another name for the Anime. Not sure if spying is all they do. :)
Princess Principal seems to be a mustwatch. Enjoyed all 3 episodes currently available and I'll continue following it weekly as episodes don't leave PTSD inducing cliffhangers.
In just 3 episodes this anime managed to make more twists than some overrated titles succeeded during several seasons. There is plenty of drama, action and thrill included. Music is the right choice for the steampunkish setting and animation is fantastic.

No, it's not available on Crunchyroll. US audiences can watch it on Amazon's scammy platform Anime Strike, AU/NZ can watch it on AnimeLab and the rest of the world (probably not everywhere due to licensing geocrap bullshit) on Hidive.com. Maybe there are more legal streams out there - I've checked availability only on sites with default english subs.

Watch it asap, unless you're alergic to yuri "textbait" which in this anime isn't done in awkward way but IMO totally fits the show.
If they keep up the quality, this could end up being the best anime series in 2017.

Intro:

Last edited:
Princess Principal seems to be a mustwatch.
Will do Mr.Joxer. Only I will watch it when the series finishes airing.

Just to update my list of this Summer.
Mahoutsukai no Yome started as a series,no OVA's. It is a 24 ep. Fantasy/Magic/Slice Of Life show.
So I am excited for this one. Wit Studios is behind it,and that is pretty cool. I did not know it is theirs.

Yup that one sounds promising but will begin regular airing in two months according to MAL.
Dunno how and why first two episodes are already available on Crunchyroll:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/the-ancient-magus-bride

Anyway, in two months Daisuki will cease operation. Namco Bandai didn't disclose reasons why:
https://myanimelist.net/news/51755429
This is bad news for all of us who used Daisuki to watch some titles not available worldwide elsewhere.

On another hand, Sony will buy 95% of Funimation as part of their Aniplex plans:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...-a-majority-stake-in-funimation/#47fdec7c44ad
What effect will this have on Funimation/Crunchyroll licensing projects agreement, can't say.

Seems that the war over streaming anime content continues. Here's hope the audience will benefit from it.

Last edited:
Next month (oct 4) I know what I'll be watching.

I have no idea what is it about, won't even care if it'll be subtitled.
With that hair, I'll be in heaven! :D

Next month (oct 4) I know what I'll be watching.

I have no idea what is it about, won't even care if it'll be subtitled.
With that hair, I'll be in heaven! :D

From one hair fan to another, I too might watch it :)

I love hair too, I just don't have much :)

...wait do ears, nose and eyebrow hair count? I need realistic hairworks for men!

Man, it's CGI anime series, not The Witcher 3 with fur and realistic wrinkles.
Can't remember any cartoon that'd go in such detail.

Even Bioware didn't add that in Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker, here's a full face screenshot from it:
full.jpg

Yea, I didn't watch it either. ;)

There was a parody on CN "Fist of the Nose Hair":
https://tapestryofmusings.wordpress.com/2013/03/11/comedy-achieved-with-nose-hair/
adventures of a man with a huge yellow afro going around beating bald people, who terrorize the land with their no hair policy, by using his nose hair as he makes friends to join in the action.
But it wasn't CGI and looked like a timewaste to me.

Princess Principal

Made in Abyss is a really cute looking little Anime. Seems like an interesting adventure/Fantasy show.

Season over.

For Princess Principal I've said what I've said and IMO it's the best anime of this year.
Sure, some of it could have been a bit better, but compared to everything else available this one sticks above everything! I love when people dare to push an unique setup and not ruin it.
Watch immediately!

While watching Made in Abyss I got constantly amazed with quality of animation. It's something you don't see as TV series often, in 99% cases scenes repeat and most of them look dirt cheap. Someone didn't spare $ in funding this one.
But to me, the show was pretty much - boring. Okay, not as boring as the rest of summer season, but I just didn't find anything exciting in there.
Until episode 10. In that episode, thr anime I'd describe as childish meh fluffy story with spectacular animation, turns into sort of psychological horror. Hell breaks lose, and last three episodes redeem the boredom from previous episodes.
DO NOT under any circumstances let your child watch this one. Yea, I know, it does look like kids friendly material.
It is not. Do watch it yourself, doesn't have to be now, but definetly don't skip it.

Apart from those two, there is nothing else I'd recommend. Dropped them all after a couple of episodes, sometimes three or four. Everything was so unbelievably boring. Horrible season, luckily not without absolutely anything to pick.

Cya back here in a month or so after I check a few episodes of each fall season entry. Here's hope it won't spawn only one or two titles worth checking.

I'm currently watching Made in Abyss, it does have a really good constant art direction. I also knew it turned dark, because it's based off a manga (which isn't done yet I believe).

I was watching something else , but dropped it halfway through and going by what people are saying of the ending, I was good decisions.

I haven't really paid attention to the upcoming Fall shows.

I binged watched Princess Principal based on then suggestion. It was excellent. Than I looked at the series creator and I'm not surprised. Although, it has somewhat less craziness than you normally see in a Oukouchi series.

Believe it or not. I still haven't watched Princess Principal.
Nor Made in Abyss.
Watched some older animes and from previous seasons.

So,right now I am watching Re:Creators,or aka-the struggles of anime creators.
I also wondered and had an idea of fictional characters coming to life in our world.
What would it be like? What would they do?
This anime is about that.

However,it is a little bit plain to me. Does not have enough weight to it.
There is no psychological damage or struggle to comprehend the new reality they arrive into. Only in some segments we can see how the "Creations" react to our world. In terms of - how the food actually have taste or tasted much better,the space has more depth or how there is actual blood.
They adapt to easily.

Despite that,the show is not that bad. It is a action fantasy series. There is no need to search for deep meanings.
So,when I just go with the flow,the show can be fun and enjoyable.
But not too much though. It is just the right amount of fun and joy,so it keeps me watching the show.

Not finished yet. The first 12 episodes are seen,and there is 10 more to go.

After I finish Re:Creators,I promise that the next series I watch is Princess Principal.

Among the shows I watched,I watched Gin no Saji(both seasons) .
I found it to be a good comedy/slice of life show.
Not too many animes about students going to agricultural high school.
Good stuff, man! :)

Back
Top Bottom