Obsidian Entertainment - Teasing a new game

A new Obsidian game is fine by me. Just, for God's sake, forgo Sawyer and his B-team.

Probably connected with game that Cain and Boyarsky are working on. Hoping for some Troika level magic (but less bugs)

Have they hinted at what type of game they are working on?

I'm interested in anything Obsidian puts out. I'm a fan.

If they made Pathfinder+NWN I'd be excited.

Generally however I'll sit on the fence and watch. Obsidian doesn't automatically mean awesome for me. Happy to see more rpg-ish stuff though for sure and I much prefer their offerings over the big corporate console, so called rpg, offerings.

Curious myself, Besides Bethesda, and now Pirahna Bytes, Obsidian is one of the last developers I like. I counted up my favorite games through the years and 90% of them are by Beth, Obsidian, or the now defunct Bioware. Guess maybe PB can replace Bioware (which as far as I am concerned no longer exists) for position in my top 3 developers.

I'm interested in anything Obsidian puts out. I'm a fan.
I think they might have mentioned it being something new, not based on PoE engine.

If it's indeed Tim's and Leonard's upcoming "dream game" , this is what I've gathered insofar…

• it will be a 3rd person RPG in realtime
  • brand new IP
  • post-apoc and/or steampunk
  • will target consoles as well
  • they want it to be a mainstream success as well as a respectable RPG in a classic sense (impossible in my book but w/e)
  • it wont be crowdfunded
  • Unreal Engine 4 most likely

Hoping it captures some of that Troika magic. That would be great. Anyway, I'm in. Make it something good, Obsidian. :)

I'm just not into the Obsidian style of gaming. I've never finished one of their games, though I backed Pillars, stupidly.

I have the CE sitting on my desk to remind me never to back one of their products again. I WOULD buy another Fallout collaboration, but that's it.

We have like exact opposite tastes. I finish practically every Obsidian game I try. I have never been able to finish a Bethesda game. Even my beloved Fallout franchise, loved 1 & 2, couldn't get into 3 or 4, yet loved New Vegas. Guess it just comes down to their storytelling styles.

Either way, Obsidian is the more hardcore developer, and as such are clearly and objectively superior.

I liked some of their games better than others. Was not that happy with POE (mechanics or story); but they have done some games in the past I really liked. Btw I'm probably the only person on the face of the world that found dungeon siege 3 interesting.

Probably connected with game that Cain and Boyarsky are working on. Hoping for some Troika level magic (but less bugs)

You know I was coming into this thread being negative reading the title because I feel that Obsidian have become a c-tier game dev, but seeing that Cain and Boyarsky are possibly making it gives me new hope and a lot of hope. Their Arcanum game is still amazing today and Cain's MMO is very good albeit not for me. If they are making the game, it is guaranteed to be a b game or above.

I liked PoE and I liked Tyranny, but if this is a third person real time RPG (i.e. Bethesda wannabe) not interested.

Bethesda is more first person to me. But if Obsidian wants to try a PB style third person, I'm for it :)

Or a first person SureAI style. Now THAT would be something. :)

It's a forum asshole. Everyone posts their opinion. Even your insignificant one. If you post about someone being cynical, you reap the rewards. Please don't cry too hard, you're flooding poor Seattle.

Don't try too hard, sir! Everyone knows why you don't like anything related to Tim Cain - you wrote it and we remember. Even if your post got deleted.

BTW: Calling other watchers names won't lead me into liking anything churned out by Pete Hines.

If it's indeed Tim's and Leonard's upcoming "dream game" , this is what I've gathered insofar…

• it will be a 3rd person RPG in realtime
  • brand new IP
  • post-apoc and/or steampunk
  • will target consoles as well
  • they want it to be a mainstream success as well as a respectable RPG in a classic sense (impossible in my book but w/e)
  • it wont be crowdfunded
  • Unreal Engine 4 most likely

Thanks. The one thing on that list that concerns me is when they say "mainstream". We know what that means. I look forward to learning more about it.

Don't try too hard, sir! Everyone knows why you don't like anything related to Tim Cain - you wrote it and we remember. Even if your post got deleted.
I know nothing about this. Fill me in!

Nothing to see here. Please carry on.

Last edited:
Well now I'm confused just like @screeg; I guess.
That's about someone's personal life, not about gamedesign talent (or lack of), products they make or products we expect.

Well now I'm confused just like @screeg; I guess.
That's about someone's personal life, not about gamedesign talent (or lack of), products they make or products we expect.

That actually IS the point. Nut went into a homophobic rant about TC when the forum topic was about games by Troika. The bile he has for TC and Obsidian after TC joined them is probably based on the aformentioned rant.

Well, or so I suspect.

Back
Top Bottom